LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

worst luck ever... please read... LONG

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 02:15 PM

Angry worst luck ever... please read... LONG

ok so i had a bad bucking, stumbling, and hesitating problem... i bought a used opti, used water pump, new coil, new thermostat, and new plugs and wires for a total of $400 or so... i bring it all to my local mechanic to fix everything... the water pump leaks - i bought it off ebay, and the guy doesnt return my emails... so im screwed there - i put the old one back in my car... then the mechanic said the opti is also no good... so i contact the guy i bought it from and he sends me another used opti he said he had around the house... i get that put in and $400 in labor later the car is running... it would have only been like $200 but the guy had to do the whole thing twice... then 5 days later im driving on the new york thruway goin 70-80 whatever... and the car all of a sudden starts backfiring hard, and i floor it and i have no power at all... so quickly i get to the right lane and just when i make it there the car stalls... then it wouldnt start... u could hear it tryin to start but it wouldnt go... so i get it towed and its towed to a local shop in tuxedo, NY... the guy there starts takin things apart and finding out whats wrong even though i told him not to... he calls me up and says he tried a few things but cant find the problem so i said ok ill call AAA and get it towed back to my local mechanic... i get there and he wants something crazy like $350 for the tow and labor... i tell him hes crazy and im not paying that and he said pay or your not gettin your car... so finally we settle for $200 cash... which still is a total rip but i gotta get my car back... so it gets towed to my local mechanic and i see a good sized dent in my car that i know wasent there b4 the whole thing happened... and im positive this place did it... and i order again a new opti, new coil, and new ignition control module for $375... the car gets worked on and my mechanic calls me and says there like 15 random nuts and bolts and exhaust manifold parts missing... so he orders them and they cost something like $175... and these parts i know the other place took off when tryin to figure the problem out and didnt put back in just to **** me off... so then the bill comes again and i owe another $300 in labor... and then i notice that my origional keys dont work and there is a new key that was made... also at that place in ny... and they left the copy on my keyset... i dont know if they're retarded and think that the ignition key could have been my problem, or they made a another copy of the key and they are gonna try and steal it bc they have my address from the regerstration... so thats my story... i need your advice on what to do with these jerk offs... ive spent almost $1900 on all this BS and im only 18 and $$$ is hard to come by... i didnt have my car for 67 straight days from when it broke down in ny to yesterday because i had to work and make money to fix the car and its not easy to work a lot of hours with full time schooling... thanks for listening u guys and tell me what u think i can or should do
Old 01-30-2003, 02:24 PM

Hey man, do a quick search on my name for the past month or so. Look up all the opti problems i have been haveing. I just got them settled do to a member (shoebox, thanks again). This situation sounds to me like you got your *** reamed. That sucks. I know the feeling. But the only problem i think you had was the opti, not the coil and ignition moduel and ****. It only takes half a day to do a full otpi change, it is really easy (now that ive done it 10 times) to screw up an otpi while your installing it. Like i said, do a search on my name and im sure you will come up with the answer you need to know. As far as all the money you have had to spend. Well thats what happends when you take a z28 to get worked on. Sorry bud but you should know that anyone that drives a sports car and takes it to a shop WILL get ripped off.

Bobby
Old 01-30-2003, 02:28 PM

That is why I do all my work to my car... I'm only 19, got my Z when I was 17, so I know where you are coming from on the money thing.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:34 PM

Mechanics at the dealership I work for, love working on LT1 camaro's. Not because they are easy, but because they pay extremely well, since you ususally have to remove other stuff to get at what needs to be fixed.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:33 PM

Unhappy

I got your kind of luck too, I just bought my 96 Z. When I test drove it, it seemed fine (I have been driving a saturn and havent driven a camaro in about 6 months, due to a small totalling accident) and it felt like it had good pickup. I bought it and about one week later I felt it running rough. I took it to my local mechanic who replaced the distributor cap, there went $450. I take it to my friends house (less than half a mile away) and it starts making a knocking noise. I take it right back to the mechanic and he says it sounds like a rod berring. The next day I find out that the guy who sold me the car, had gone to the SAME MECHANIC AS ME and he blew the head gasket. After he drove it around for awhile, they told him that his engine was going to die, apparently thats when he decided to sell it to me. So a week after getting the car, I am in the process of getting a new engine, $1450 for remanufactured engine through a friend, approx going to be 600 for installation. With new pumps and radiator, this is going to end up around 2600. Can't sue the guy because its "buyer beware" and "as is". What crappy luck...
Old 01-30-2003, 04:17 PM

yeah life sucks... beat this though... the day i bought my car i got hit... a ford explorer backed up on my hood... dented my hood and bumper cover and i had to drive around with that for 2 months... i only drove it for like 3 miles too... and i picked the car up and just slapped on old license plates so i could get the car home... and when i got hit the police came and i got like 4 tickets
Old 01-30-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by vinnyxgunz
yeah life sucks... beat this though... the day i bought my car i got hit... a ford explorer backed up on my hood... dented my hood and bumper cover and i had to drive around with that for 2 months... i only drove it for like 3 miles too... and i picked the car up and just slapped on old license plates so i could get the car home... and when i got hit the police came and i got like 4 tickets
Son, you need an exorcist.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:38 PM

I bought a used new Opti for my car, it was still new in box and an A/C delco dealer unit. All my friends told me it was waste of 200 bucks and I'll never need it. They keep bugging me to sell it and I almost did. Maybe 3 months later a coolant broke and killed my stoock opti. Having that opti saved me a ton of $$$.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:53 PM

Ive been there.. I test drove my car and it ran fine (95z 6spd, ladie drivenrignal owner) the car had, had the engine repalce about 40k earlier, due to the chick puncturing the oil plan and running it out of oil.. so I finished the test drive and came back later with a check.. When I get in the car.. it wont crank.. it took about 4 mins of cussing to get it to crank.. she claims is its probibly from it sitting for so long since it had been a extra vehicle for her for some time.. On the way home I feel it hesistate some... It ran a good ole week then craped out... Turns out it was the fuel pump.. That was a two week project for me between ordering parts and labor.. I also notice that the cap was missing off the vavle where you check the fuel pressure like it had been checked. I also noticed that the Fuel filter was brand new, still have finger prints on it.. so I suspect they already new the car had a problem. So I drive the car another few weeks.. I got to push the clutch it and the pedel his the floor and the motor locks up. The bolt the the clutch arm pivots off of broke off. So I went ahead and replaced that and the clutch... so that was solved.. not long after that I had a injector lock up.. got that replaced.. Then I went to the track and ran it a little bit.. The car started knocking and lost oil pressure.. it was rod. We got the motor apart. You could tell the oil had harldy ever been changed, what caused the problem was that the little oil cooler system that is built into the 95', where the oil flows around the heat exchanger it was all clogged up so oil was barely even circulating through the engine.. every bearing was ruined.. so I just got me new engine in.. me and my dad did it with a total cost about about $600.. I also put a comp cam in.. but its been running good fora bout 2 months now
Old 01-30-2003, 05:01 PM

Chaulk it up to experience.NEVER buy used parts.Get a maual and tools to doo your own work.Live and learn.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:05 PM

how would i put my origional lock to my origional keys in? i still have the lock itself so how do i go about this? thanks