LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wiper motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:41 PM

Wiper motor issues

Recently my beloved Z28 has started to behave wierdly with the wipers. They turn on and wipe no problem for both constant and intermittent. When you go to turn off the wipers, 9 times out of 10 they do not go back to the parked position. If you flip the switch on and off a few times, eventually they do park. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this and maybe knew what the problem is. Also, if the wiper motor is about to go into failure, is this an expensive part that requires much time to replace? Any insight from you gurus is appreciated....
Old 03-14-2003, 04:47 PM

Assuming that your '97 is the same as a 2000 in that area, there is a diagnostic procedure to follow shown in the GM shop manual. It's long, but in summary:

Basically if the wipers don't park the problem is the wiper/washer switch. I suspect an intermittent contact in that switch because you can get them to park by cycling the switch. If you are electrically handy you might remove the Multifunction Turn Signal Lever and examine/clean the wiper switch, or replace it.

The second gremlin is in the Wiper Motor Cover which contains the electrical controls. Getting the wiper motor out isn't fun because you have to separate the linkage joints without harming them. If you know a GM dealer mechanic, borrow the shop manual (section 8-xxx) and tools J39232 (removal) and J39529 (installation), or get him to help you. Once you get it out, changing the cover is easy.

I don't think the wiper motor is about to 'mess the bed'; it's most likely the switch or motor cover.

If you take it to a dealer, get an estimate for the labor and parts before you let them run up a big bill.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:20 PM

Once again, you guys rock! Thanks for the reply; that makes perfect sense to me... my mechanic is doing an oil change tomorrow so I will mention all this to him and see if he can tackle this for me... I am not too mechanically inclined, and definately don't have the proper tools for this sort of work so I rely on the services of an expert mechanic here in town.... perfect; thanks for the information!!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:57 PM

It's the motor, I had the same problem. I would put money on it, that's what my manual says too. They're a PITA to change too. You have to take the front cowl off, and to get that off you have to take the hood off, and use pullers to take off the wipers. It sucks, but your wipers will work right again at least.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:18 AM

It's the circuit board in the wiper motor..
I got a used motor off here for 40 bux that cured mine.. [new one is about 200]
And you don't have to remove the hood to do the wiper motor..
Old 03-15-2003, 09:34 AM

Ok, let me rephrase that then. I had to remove my hood to get to the wiper motor because I could not get the cowl off.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:53 AM

Sorry, dont mean to steal the thread, I think you got your answer already anyway, but I think I have the same issue, but its hard to tell. My wipers go down when turned off, but not all the way down, about 2 or 3 inches from completely parked at the bottom. I dont know if this is the same problem as previously stated, but anybody have any ideas for my problem?
Old 03-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Is the point that they stop the point where the bottom of the sweep cycle is? If so, then it's most likely the same problem. Or do they try to park when the switch is turned off, but don't make it down the whole way?
Old 03-17-2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Is the point that they stop the point where the bottom of the sweep cycle is? If so, then it's most likely the same problem. Or do they try to park when the switch is turned off, but don't make it down the whole way?
For the problem I am having, the wipers sweep just fine, but 9 times out of 10 when you turn the switch to the off position the wipers do not go into park. If you flip the switch a few times, eventually they will go into park mode. When they do go into park, they do go all the way down no problem.... It almost seems as if the wiper motor is not getting the park instruction to it, if that makes any sense at all...
Old 03-17-2003, 02:13 PM

Well, the manual says its the wiper motor cover, which in essence means you need to change the wiper motor. I got one on Ebay for $25, so keep an eye out there. Or, just push the wipers down by hand, ghetto style.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:17 PM

Well, the manual says its the wiper motor cover, which in essence means you need to change the wiper motor. I got one on Ebay for $25, so keep an eye out there. Or, just push the wipers down by hand, ghetto style.
Once again, thanks for the pointers and help. Really appreciate that. I was afraid this was the problem... <sigh> I guess it's time to take my baby into the shop (where I live I can't work on my own car, so it's always in the shop for repairs...)

Thanks again for the informative and prompt reply.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:18 PM

One more question.... I don't mind doing the "Ghetto Style" parking of the blades, or flipping the switch 100 times, but does this all mean that the wiper motor is about to pack it in? If so, that's obviously a safety issue and needs direct attention, if not it just means a cramp in my wrist from flicking the switch.. Thanks again guys; really appreciate your support and help....
Old 03-17-2003, 03:18 PM

Well, via the 93 shop manual that I have, the motor should be good, but the wiper motor cover assembly (which is the "brain" of the wipers) need replacing. Thing is, I tried to take mine off the motor when I replaced it so I could try to fix the thing, and all I did was proceed in destroying everything. It's easier to replace the whole motor assembly, and a little insurance in the long run. Look around, I'm sure you can find one somewhere.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:23 PM

Here, I did some diggin around for ya!

Wiper motor auction #1

Wiper motor auction #2

Wiper motor auction #3

That was just under a "camaro wiper motor" search, I'm sure there's more out there. All very cheap though.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:31 PM

Fastbird93; thank you very much for your help. I totally understand what you were saying in your post, and I think I will hop on this and get the problem fixed right away. Thanks so very much for taking the time to source out the part for me; I really do appreciate that. Thanks again!!