LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Will I gain anything with a LT4 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:21 PM

Will I gain anything with a LT4 intake?

Well, I called Jet-Hot because I want them to coat my intake. He said it was possible and he would do it for $240. Well, I am considering purchasing the LT4 intake and coating it chrome and putting it on my LT1. Will I gain anything at all from putting a LT4 intake on my LT1 motor? Is it even possible? I don't have to have LT4 heads to use a LT4 intake do I? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 PM

I pretty sure you will need to switch to LT4 heads, but i could be wrong
Old 12-16-2003, 09:29 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing too. I really don't want to do that though.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:49 PM

well, you're either gonna have to have lt4 heads or machine lt1 heads from what i heard
also, not a performance gain either
it just looks so damn cool
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 PM

The LT4 intake manifold will give you zero gain. GM dropped the ball on that manifold, IMO. Only worth buying if you'll be getting LT4 heads. Otherwise, just powdercoat your LT1 intake.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

YEha...You gain a headache after realizing it won't fit and a chunck out your wallet.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 PM

"dropped the ball"? what are you high? Ever seen an aftermarket intake bring more hp? nope... infact they don't even exist anymore.

Lingenfelter had a super-ram that gave about 10 more hp at low and mid RPM's, but gave up 5 to 10hp above 5000rpms. They only sold it for mid-range to stock converter automatics. M6's were better off with the LT1/LT4 manifold.

I'd say that's pretty good praise from the best in the industry. The only intakes that show any gains are $3000+ sheetmetal intakes (like a Hogan), and that's becasue they are used with HUGE flowing heads and custom runner heights.

Trust me... the LAST thing you need to worry about it the manifold. The LT1/LT4 is nearly bulletproof in stock set up, and responds well to modifcations. Throttle bodies, heads, and bottom ends can be upgraded significantly if nessesary, but it is RARE to find a custom intakes since they typically are not needed. I'm looking everywhere for hp/durability upgrades of any kind on my stroker build up... but the intake isn't one of them. If ANYTHING... it will get gasket-ported to a 58mm TB, and maybe ceramic-coated on the bottom (although those benefits are minimal really).
Old 12-17-2003, 06:57 AM

Well, I'm coating an intake no matter what. I'm not really doing it for hp gain purposes, but mainly a chrome finish because I am trying to get my engine bay with as much chrome/polished parts as possible. I figured I would get an LT4 intake if I would get any gain out of it. Well, I guess I'll just buy another LT1 intake, send it to Jet-Hot, install it, and sell my original intake. Jet-Hot said it would be logical to see a 1%-3% gain in HP. Not much, but hey, I ain't really doing it for the hp anyways.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:57 AM

Save the coin and stick with the LT1 intake.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:35 AM

Damn, I called Jason and he said an LT1 intake was listed at $700 but he could get them for a little over $400. Holy crap. LT4's are only $200 something. I wonder why GM has their LT1 intakes for so much. That sucks. Well, I have another daily driver, so I guess if I ever want to coat my intake, I'll just have to send my stock one over there. Thanks though guys.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Steve in Seattle
"dropped the ball"? what are you high? Ever seen an aftermarket intake bring more hp? nope... infact they don't even exist anymore.

Steve:

You need to go back and read EXACTLY what he said.

The LT4 intake manifold will give you zero gain. GM dropped the ball on that manifold, IMO.

He did not fault the LT1.... he faulted the LT4, and I would have to agree with him.... in "as-built" form, is is virtually no different than the LT1. It doesn't even match the raised runners on the LT4 heads. It takes substantial porting to get the LT4 to flow well with a good set of ported LT4 heads. Once you get it where it belongs it is a killer intake. But from the factory, GM dropped the ball.

Search for posts by "Arnie".... he has explained it very well.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Once you get it where it belongs it is a killer intake. But from the factory, GM dropped the ball.
Mine took considerable work to match my ported LT4 heads, but it's worth the effort IMO.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:44 PM

I have the LT4 intake manifold, I haven't installed it yet but I have done some research, The LT4 intake manifold will gain 15HP(Crank) over the LT1 intake manifold. Also, it will only fit the LT1 if you have the LT4 Heads or you machine your LT1 heads to fit the manifold. Don't worry about it being a waste, if your like me, you will take as much HP as you can get. No matter how small the mod is!
Old 12-17-2003, 06:06 PM

Ah, just get some AFR or other LT4 heads with it.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by hozb817
I have the LT4 intake manifold, I haven't installed it yet but I have done some research, The LT4 intake manifold will gain 15HP(Crank) over the LT1 intake manifold.
No way. Fred spelled out the issues with the LT4 manifold, so I'm not gonna repeat them.

The only way I would agree is if the LT4 intake is properly ported. In stock form it is in no way better than the LT1 manifold.

Quick Reply: Will I gain anything with a LT4 intake?