LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

will it hurt performance to add lowering springs???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 11:52 PM

will it hurt performance to add lowering springs???

i heard it will affect u at the track on the other hand i like the way camaros look lowered especially since i have 17s.with this in mind if i was to do springs which should i get to suit me both ways without losing performance drag launch kit? v6 springs? elbachs?
Old 03-25-2003, 12:04 AM

from what i've heard, lowering ur car will not increase any performance, on the other hand, it will decrease performance....
Old 03-25-2003, 12:16 AM

stiffness

I think that if you use springs that are too hard, weight transfer suffers so you won't get a great launch. I'm lowering my car with Eibach Sportlines, BMR relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, and BMR control arms. The relocation brackets should help to regain proper geometry. The sportlines will hurt my launch but I love the way they look!
Old 03-25-2003, 12:17 AM

i have also heard that it will affect your lauch at the track. but it is a tough call on what to do, because they make the car look so good.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:36 AM

A lot of people here use thhe v6 Springs cause they are softer.
You might want to think about that if your worried about perf.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:36 PM

so could i use v6 springs i heard those are actually good for performance since they transfer weight better.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:52 PM

what about lateral performance? the stiffer springs help that, correct?
i'm about to put some springs off an SS on my car. i realize it may hurt my 60' times a tad but i'm doing it for improved handling in the curves unless i'm wrong.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:46 PM

Most people would agree that to lower your car and not hurt your 60' times you need to also do reloc. brackets and LCA's. Then it kinda balances your car back out. Just my 2 cents.

Chris
Old 03-25-2003, 02:36 PM

Soft springs will help at the track with weight transfer and by the same token hurt you in the twisties. Lowering springs usually have higher spring rates and are therefore stiffer. Stiff is the opposite of soft, so some abiltily for weight transfer will be lost.

How much weight transfer you need to hook will depend on your car and how much power you have to put to the ground. You don't need gobs of weight transfer if you are getting good traction already.

You can meet somewhere in the middle, but you cannot have optimum set ups for both simultaneously.

Last edited by shoebox; 03-25-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:13 PM

so whats the best soft spring to get for better weight transfer v6? ss springs??
Old 03-25-2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by red96z
so whats the best soft spring to get for better weight transfer v6? ss springs??
Between those 2, it would be the V6 springs. These days, no car is going to come to the showroom that is optimally setup for drag racing.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:52 PM

This is one of those mods where you have to start thinking about what kind of car you want to have. Do you want a show car? Or a drag car? Or an autocross car? It is possible to meet somewhere in between, but there's always compromise. If you want to lower your car just for the look (and there's nothing wrong with that), have you considered just getting bigger rims? That will fill up your wheelwell (making it look lower) and look cool to boot. Maybe even though a drag radial on the new rims, and keep your old ones for bad weather. I'm not sure how soft or stiff this would be, but you can lower your car by heating your stock springs. It's a lot cheaper, and does the same thing.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:46 PM

I kinda diagree,I had a 89 iroc 350 tpi car now i know its a little different from a 4th gen but i had it lowered 2 inches with eibach springs kyb strut's and shocks and only poly bushing's all the way around .I used to do solid 1.9 60's and when i used to juice it i ran 1.7's with nitto's so i dont see were i was losing performance .Now my TA is lowered an 1.5 inches too but i will be using relocation brackets,LCA'S ,adjustable torque arm, because i will be putting down alot more RWHP then i did my IROC plus my TA is a stick..
Old 03-25-2003, 09:11 PM

I have 3 letters for you.
DMS

I have their springs that lowered my car about 1". Looks great. But even better it didn't hurt my 60' times at all. Not with the ET Streets or on street tires. BMR Subs & the springs are the only suspen. mods I am running with.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:28 PM

Weight transfer suffers with stiffer springs so yes you may have traction problems at the track. To compound things lowering your car also screws up the suspension geometry. The angle of the lower control arms is even worse than stock.. what happens, from my understanding (meaning take this for what it's worth), is when you launch the car the rear pushes the LCA's forward into the car consequently the LCA's push back on the axle. When your car is lowered the angle the LCA's are at means that when they push back against the axle they are not pushing the axle down into the pavement but pushing it upwards instead.. thus you get wheel hop. This is why relocation brackets are so important on a stock car and ESPECIALLY on a lowered car (the angle is that much worse).

Can you correct for this with other suspension mods.. probably. As others have said, it depends on how much power your car is laying down. Someone here just recently put something like 1500 into suspension pieces when he was already getting 1.6 or 1.7 60fts without traction problems.. he didn't see any improvement at the track and wondered why... obviously if your car is hooking up then the suspension setup you're running is adequate for your power level. More power = traction problems = time to upgrade suspension to keep those good 60fts. If you're making stock power then the stock suspension is probably capable of netting you decent 60fts but the more power your car produces the better the suspension has to be to maintain traction under a hard launch. So the jist here is simply that if you're not planning on bracket racing and aren't making 400 rwhp then you'll probably have little or no traction problems at the track with a lowered car as long as you have some aftermarket LCA's, relocation brackets, and maybe SFC's.

But hey, what do I know? My car isn't lowered

HTH

Quick Reply: will it hurt performance to add lowering springs???