LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why rebuild engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 PM

Why rebuild engine?

I think the title explains it all....what does rebuilding the engine do? Does it make it run like a new engine? I've seen kits at Summit and from what I've heard everything is good besides the gaskets?

If I was paying a mechanic to do it, how many hours would it take him?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Re: Why rebuild engine?

Originally posted by 95TA8280
I think the title explains it all....what does rebuilding the engine do? Does it make it run like a new engine? I've seen kits at Summit and from what I've heard everything is good besides the gaskets?

If I was paying a mechanic to do it, how many hours would it take him?
The kit you see from summit rebuilds the "bottom" end. This is the crank, the bearings, oil pump (???), pistons and rods. Unless you have an issue with the bottom end, such as low oil pressure, knocking sounds, I can't really see anything you'd notice as "new", with those parts.

Then there is the issue with rebuilding the "top" end, which includes, rocker arms, pushrods, lifters, cam, springs, timing chain etc... Here you'd definately notice a difference, but not "new". New springs and rocker arms make the biggest difference with a new cam.

However, even if you did "rebuild" the bottom and top end, you still have all the carbon buildup on the heads, and haven't "refinished" the block.

When motor builders rebuild your motor they make sure the motor is true and straight, all main and rod "connections" (caps) are straight and true, as well as the actual piston bores (where the piston goes up and down), is "cleaned" up, or honed out. Generally speaking though, at a rebuild this bore is "bored" out to clean away all the imperfections. As you can see, you enlarge the cylinder area, and increase the displacement. Generally speaking 30 thousands of an inch is cut out, making the displacement 3.48" stroke with a bore of 4.030... or a 355 cubic inch motor instead of a 350 cubic inch motor. Obviously "larger" piston rings are required to maintain the compression.

Want a "new" motor, that is fresh and will run well? Pull it out and have it rebuilt.

I would say a good motor builder could do it for $1500 U.S. with parts. Of course, I'm in Canada so my conversion and market knowledge there is limited.