LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why Was The LTx Platform Dropped So Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 AM

Why Was The LTx Platform Dropped So Fast?

Why was the LTx platform dropped so fast in favor of the LSx? I mean I hate the leaking front seals, and its noisiness in general, but there must be real reasons. Not like they went to over head cams or anything that much different. Why?

Hal
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM

Heads, no opti, I am sure there is a slew of other items.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Administrator

LTx was a band-aid to prolong the life a 40-year old SBC design. Gen 3 LSx is a total rework of that concept, with very few carry-overs. There was also a fairly successful challenge of the LTx's reverse-flow cooling design by the inventor of Evans coolant, who has the patent on reverse-flow cooling.

On the other hand, my LT1 has never leaked anything and is not noisy, so I wouldn't even agree with your negative perceptions.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM

LSx will be dropped sooner or later just like the LT1 when something better comes around

Edit: That's if Chevy is still around.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM

LOL, an LT1 is so similar to the SBC that if "leaking and noisiness" was an issue, it would not have been kept around since 1955.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 AM

When the original engine gives out I'll be switching to LSx. For some reason mine certainly doesn't sound healthy. Sounds more like a washing machine from underneath. I wouldn't doubt a rod or something is planning on going.

Either way I would never sell the car. I think they will be super rare in another 10 years once the fuel economy craze hits in earnest and muscle cars are no longer made. The current price of used ones reminds me of how dirt cheap the '6x-'7x muscle cars were in the late '70s early '80s. Back then a buddy bought a completely redone challenger with a 440 for $2000. There were a lot of crazy good bargains in muscle cars back then. Another friend had like 3 of those Super Bees with the tall fins. He seemed like a smart guy and probably hung on to them long enough to have made a bundle.

I think the ltx based body style will be one of the most collectible styles. To me it's far nicer than the lsx is, and maybe even the newer camaro. I certainly think they raked the windshield line too much on the new Camaro. It should have been more straight up making the roof slightly taller but maybe that's just me. Either way the '93 - '97 style has a lot to offer over even the originals with ABS, air bags, great handling. With a few engine fixes it's a snap to add a lot of power to them (I'll probably also put a supercharger back on and shoot for 500). Nope, people will be kicking themselves for selling just like they did in the past.

Hal

Last edited by Hal Fisher; 06-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Fisher
When the original engine gives out I'll be switching to LSx. For some reason mine certainly doesn't sound healthy. Sounds more like a washing machine from underneath. I wouldn't doubt a rod or something is planning on going.

Either way I would never sell the car. I think they will be super rare in another 10 years once the fuel economy craze hits in earnest and muscle cars are no longer made. The current price of used ones reminds me of how dirt cheap the '6x-'7x muscle cars were in the late '70s early '80s. Back then a buddy bought a completely redone challenger with a 440 for $2000. There were a lot of crazy good bargains in muscle cars back then. Another friend had like 3 of those Super Bees with the tall fins. He seemed like a smart guy and probably hung on to them long enough to have made a bundle.

I think the ltx based body style will be one of the most collectible styles. To me it's far nicer than the lsx is, and maybe even the newer camaro. I certainly think they raked the windshield line too much on the new Camaro. It should have been more straight up making the roof slightly taller but maybe that's just me. Either way the '93 - '97 style has a lot to offer over even the originals with ABS, air bags, great handling. With a few engine fixes it's a snap to add a lot of power to them (I'll probably also put a supercharger back on and shoot for 500). Nope, people will be kicking themselves for selling just like they did in the past.

Hal
If you were around to see the original muscle cars become collectables, then didn't you also hear people talk about fuel economy standards killing muscle cars back then too? Well, they're still here!

I'm confused by the second section I put in bold. You love the styling of the 4th gens with a crazy raked windshield, but you think the 5th gen's windshield has too much rake?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Well that might have been the original problem started when the iatola took over but that was no longer a big problem when I said my friend bought the challenger. They were just out of favor at the time.

About the rake. Do you think I would have said the same thing about the rake on a lamborghini too? Yeah, that's it! I'm just into vertical windshields! No. Geesh, people can't post their own opinion.

Hal

Last edited by Hal Fisher; 06-02-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:46 PM

Supposedly Dart is making a big bore LTx block in about 4-6 weeks.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688369
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 AM

I think its mainly because of the f-body and corvette only thing. If it had been in the pick-up in a simular config it might have lasted longer.

But then again look at the LS1 , why continue the LT1 when the LS-series is there.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM

I agree with the above. There were only a handful of models that got the LTx as everything shifted over. The LSx platform is in everything from SUV's, trucks, cars, and sports cars. LTx was something to tide them over until they could get the LSx finished.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Weather the LTx platform is considered a band-aid or not....it's out there. Personally I believe that if we can get some heads on par with the big SBC heads and maybe a little bit of a redesigned intake to accommodate some more flow that we'll be able to make crazy power just like all the other SBC's and still have some great design behind them. As McDonalds says....."I'm lovin' it!"
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Hal, the LSX motors aren't exactly quiet either. You may have heard of "piston slap"? I had a '94 Z28 before my SS and I thought it was a quieter motor. The LS1 has 72k on the clock now, and while the chatter doesn't bother me that much but it's definitely there, especially after cold start-up.

As far as why GM dropped the LT1/LT4 so fast, as others have said, I'm guessing that because it was largely just a Gen II motor that had been around forever, it was time for a clean-sheet redesign. What is interesting is that the LS2, while being an "LSX" is considered to be GM's first Gen IV V8, while the LS1/LS6 are Gen III motors.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 06-03-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM

From what I heard the biggest reason for going to the lsx platform is due to emissions of the sbc/gen2 cylinder head design. They could not get to the next level of emissions with this cylinder head design due to the exhaust / intake ports on the sbc/gen2. Going to the lsx platform (which are similar to a bbc) doesn't cause hot spots and exhaust temp variations, so emissions were the driving factor.

HTH

Andy Schuck
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Never noticed until Andy mentioned it but the LSx doesn't have the old style exhaust configuration. It really does have the bb style. I guess the G1 and 2 with their two exhaust ports next to each other kept heat too concentrated even with the reverse cooling.

Got a lot of great answers to my question. Thanks all!

Hal

Quick Reply: Why Was The LTx Platform Dropped So Fast?