LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who's personally used Summit's rebuild kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:05 AM

Who's personally used Summit's rebuild kits?

I've been checking out the Summit rebuild kits for awhile now. Who's personally used either the forged or hypereutectic kit and can vouch for the quality, etc?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:08 AM

Re: Who's personally used Summit's rebuild kits?

Ive done some searching and found a few people who have had success with the forged kits. What about the hypereutectic kits? If I do get one of the kits, I read to not use the HV oil pump that provided unless you get a larger oil pan. That and I think a simple stock replacement would serve me just fine.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:02 PM

T T T
Old 12-14-2004, 12:10 AM

T T T
Old 12-14-2004, 02:07 PM

T T T

someone has to be using the speed-pro hypers...
Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 PM

I am in the process of putting mine togther using the forged kit. Seems very complete. Of course the only reason I am using forged is for my own comfort, if the stock pistons are hypereutectic then they are good enough IMO.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:40 PM

are you using forged on an all-motor setup or will you have a power adder?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by dmoor88
Ive done some searching and found a few people who have had success with the forged kits. What about the hypereutectic kits? If I do get one of the kits, I read to not use the HV oil pump that provided unless you get a larger oil pan. That and I think a simple stock replacement would serve me just fine.
now i understand what you meant by 'research' in that other thread.

seriously, get some SRP pistons, ARP fasteners, total seal rings, and clevite 77 bearings and let a good machine shop do the rest. ive got a guy up here and i can give you his number if you want. he's not expensive, but he takes a while. if you cant have your car down for that long, i have an extra block ill let you use (its virgin bore), but im gonna want your block after you take yours out.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:06 PM

Im not wanting the best for this rebuild. Ive read where many have been happy with their rebuild using this kit. I'll be keeping all-motor, so I'd like to use some lightweight hyper pistons. You can't beat the price of the Summit kit considering a step up from the pistons would cost the same amount of the entire kit just for the pistons. I'll be happy being under 450rwhp when all is said and done, with heads, cam, etc.

I want to either reuse my stock crank, if the journals look all right, or just pick up a steel replacement.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:12 PM

Plus I have a renound shop local to me that's going to do the rebuild. I'd like to find a block local to me so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:22 PM

There is a possibility mine will have a lil spray on it but I'm undecided on it right now. The hyper pistons are fine for what you want and a lot of shops use basically this kit as well. I know alot of guys that use sealed power parts. If a shop you trust says the parts are good then go for it!
Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by dmoor88
Plus I have a renound shop local to me that's going to do the rebuild. I'd like to find a block local to me so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

i picked up my block from the board. the guy was from lewisville which is like 20 minutes from me. i guess i got lucky. FWIW, i would still use good pistons, especially if you are planning on spinning it over 6000rpm. but like you say, the stock rods and crank will be fine in that application. if you end up buying a crank, you can get a 3.75" cast 1pc main from jegs for less then $200. its the same price as the stock replacment. you can still use your stock 5.7 rods and all youll change is pistons, and you were gonna buy some anyway. with a 5.7 rod and 3.75 stroke youll need something with a 1.425 compression height.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:54 PM

I've got the forged kit from summit and I'm happy with it so far. I plan on a little spray thats why i did the forged pistons. Also do no use the high volume pump as said earlier, I also had the problem of sucking my pan dry.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:02 PM

yeah ill be using a stock replacement melling oil pump in place of the HV one they send with the kit.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 93turbo5oh
i picked up my block from the board. the guy was from lewisville which is like 20 minutes from me. i guess i got lucky. FWIW, i would still use good pistons, especially if you are planning on spinning it over 6000rpm. but like you say, the stock rods and crank will be fine in that application. if you end up buying a crank, you can get a 3.75" cast 1pc main from jegs for less then $200. its the same price as the stock replacment. you can still use your stock 5.7 rods and all youll change is pistons, and you were gonna buy some anyway. with a 5.7 rod and 3.75 stroke youll need something with a 1.425 compression height.
yeah my ex-fiance is actually from Denton so I know that area pretty well. Ill be having Speed Works in Lewisville do the dynotune for me when the time comes. Parker is a great guy and they have a clean establishment! Last I spoke to them, they were actually looking for a bigger building/s and a better location. They're out in the booneys...

Just out of curiosity, what shop were you speaking of?

Quick Reply: Who's personally used Summit's rebuild kits?