LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

White smoke pouring out of exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:29 AM

White smoke pouring out of exhaust! UPDATED NEWS! check it out

I started the car yesterday and it idle very ro8ugh i then proceeded to drive it and noticed that there was smoke pouring outta my exhuast EEEK. I went about a mile and a half and shut it off at home. Went back out tlater and had a hell of time getting the car to start. When i did get it started i noiticed it was beginning to get real hot. This has led me to the conclusion of coolant getting into the block OMG! this could be what? Cracked head worst case scenario? Blown gasket? What can i expect to pay for either scenario. I had the car towed today because i did not want to drive it to the shop. Yalls input is trusted and appreciated. Thanks fellas Cory

Update is on post 15

Last edited by cz28s; 12-16-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:31 AM

Re: White smoke pouring out of exhaust!

My guess, blown head gasket. Please don't jynx yourself by saying cracked head. Always hope for the best?????
Old 12-10-2004, 08:37 AM

Bye bye Mister head gasket.
Thats more than likely the problem. Good idea on not running it anymore, I think you can run the risk of hydrolocking it. Could also be cracked but I'd lean toward the blown gasket. I've heard of places charging over a grand to change a blown head gasket. If ya got tools and some spare time now would be a great learning experience and a helluva lot cheaper.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 AM

A GRAND!!! good god almighty man!!! HAHA i have no spare time I actually have to have this fixed by Wednesday at the latest sooooo. So the probable thing is the Head gasket. Hope so
Old 12-10-2004, 09:00 AM

You changing the head gasket yourself???
Old 12-10-2004, 09:26 AM

just replaced the head gaskets in my car couple weeks ago. have fun, it takes awhile. course i put in a cam, timing chain, and a cam bearing while i was at it. but still the shop, i work at luckily, would have charged like 17 hours i think just for the head R&R. and thats assuming no broken exhaust bolts in the head. good luck and hope you didnt get any water into those bearings.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 AM

what does water in the bearings do?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Bearings go bye bye.
Worst case scenario - Cracked BLOCK. It happend to me
Old 12-10-2004, 12:49 PM

o no, please dotn tell me that, someone tell me everything is gonna be alright
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 PM

Just dont drive it to avoid hurting the bearings. Water gets in the bearings and stays there. It mixed with oil so it wont rust them out but it can ruin the bearings if the motor is turned on. So just leave it off. A head gasket isnt too hard to fix on these cars. You leave almost all the front accessories on the motor. Take off the intake and the exaust manifolds and the heads come off. Just make sure you clean the surfaces very well and put on a new gasket.

And dont worry about having a cracked head or block that almost never happens.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:21 PM

they are telling me best case scenario is 1000. is that right?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 AM

ttt
Old 12-13-2004, 08:11 AM

Same thing happened to me, but when I took the heads off I realized my pistons rings were worn and I could actually move the pistons. This is VERY rare. I ended up pulling the whole engine out and rebuilding it to a forged 383 stroker. The moral of this story is to do the work yourself, because you might find something wrong that a mechanic would not care to notice.

I would say $1000 is very close to what you will pay. It may be cheaper, but you always want to leave room for unexpected stuff that will add up very fast.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:27 AM

White smoke from a COLD engne can also be excess fuel that is vaporized, but not burned, pouring out the exhaust -- this can be caused by a faulty injector. I've seen this happen. We're not talking a rich mixture, we're talking about lots of excess fuel. I would think this condition would cause a catalytic converter to get extremely hot.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 12-15-2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM

well, he replaced the both heads and gaskets and changed out my spark plugs and new battery, and cleaned the valves for 1400 bucks for me. Started it it up last night to leave the shop and as soon as i get on the highway to go home it started knockin real bad makin metal to metal screeches in the motor. so the water in motor really took its toll and spun a bearing and flattened out a rod apparently so my guy towed it bac to the shop and he is going to rebuild the motor for me ( all new parts ) and bore it out for me as well .30 over for 1000 dollars, that includes balancing as well. What you guys think. the worst case scenario did happen. Sucks real bad but ill have new motor. Oh yeah im gonna need a loan now HAHA

Quick Reply: White smoke pouring out of exhaust!