LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

where the heck is the sensor for the evap system?

Old 06-23-2003, 05:47 PM

Angry where the heck is the sensor for the evap system?

Just like the title says....what tells the computer to throw a code and where is it located? It must be on one of the electrical connections on either the solenoid or vacuum switch...which one?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:57 PM

first of all which code is the car setting off is it code 26? if so then that is the evap canister purge solenoid( a scanner will tell you its a bad quad driver module) this is located at the passener side of the motor right next to the fuel rails you will see 2 vacuum lines one going to the throttle body and one going to the rear of the car where the canister is. if this cunfuses you "Shoebox" has a link connected to his signature its called i think Rob95z. this has diagrams and pics of everything including evap systems just look around and you will find it. trust me that site has helped me with the dumbest little problems that i have in the past two weeks. this should help you good luck!
Old 06-23-2003, 07:03 PM

It is a red connector located in the valley of the passenger side intake.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by importkiller69
first of all which code is the car setting off is it code 26? if so then that is the evap canister purge solenoid( a scanner will tell you its a bad quad driver module) this is located at the passener side of the motor right next to the fuel rails you will see 2 vacuum lines one going to the throttle body and one going to the rear of the car where the canister is. if this cunfuses you "Shoebox" has a link connected to his signature its called i think Rob95z. this has diagrams and pics of everything including evap systems just look around and you will find it. trust me that site has helped me with the dumbest little problems that i have in the past two weeks. this should help you good luck!
Okay I have a question, my car kicked me a code 26(OBDI) and I changed the Purge Solenoid, but I am still kicking the code, does that mean it is the canister? I have never heard of one going bad.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:42 PM

No, the code is P1441. I have changed out everything in the evap system....canister, solenoid, vacuum switch. The only other thing I can think of is a bad sensor. So the red connector goes to the sensor? I take it is then possible to purchase a new sensor? If anyone knows please tell me.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by indy500ss
Okay I have a question, my car kicked me a code 26(OBDI) and I changed the Purge Solenoid, but I am still kicking the code, does that mean it is the canister? I have never heard of one going bad.

far as i know i had to check my entire emissions systems from the egr valve to the canister etc,etc. my reason for this was because the fuse for my air pump kept on blowing(by the way check yours cause the fuse blew for the pump and shut off from the code) cause the of the code keep coming up i replaced the air pump the a week later it came back, same code i ran tech 3 scanner and it gave a code 26 again. yes it is possoble for the canister to go bad, not really sure how but i know a few people that have replaced them and been fine, but check all the hoses in the evap system and the valves also, hell i said screw it, I am gonna rip the emissions out of the car and gonna set it fire but i am gonna have to the car programmed, that fine by me sorry i had enough of spending money for emissions than for speed

Last edited by importkiller69; 06-23-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Zicka
No, the code is P1441. I have changed out everything in the evap system....canister, solenoid, vacuum switch. The only other thing I can think of is a bad sensor. So the red connector goes to the sensor? I take it is then possible to purchase a new sensor? If anyone knows please tell me.
The only "sensor" is the vacuum switch (that you said you already replaced). It is the monitor to tell the pcm what the vacuum is doing. Having the hoses reversed to the EVAP solenoid will also cause this code.

P1441 is telling you the switch is seeing vacuum when there is not supposed to be any.