LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Where do you put catch cans on LT1's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Where do you put catch cans on LT1's

Well I'm in the middle of putting on my LE ported intake manifold, and there the inside of my old intake is coated with oil, so it looks like I need a catch can. My PCV valve still moves when I shake it so I don't think it is bad. I did a search and it doesn't seem like many LT1 guys put on catch cans, so I was wondering where in line you put it and how everyone is routing the lines?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 AM

Re: Where do you put catch cans on LT1's

I've thought about doing the same thing. I thing you'll have to be the pioneer on this one, I've never seen anyone do it.
But I did find a website of a guy who makes nice looking catch cans if you can afford them: http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm
Old 08-09-2006, 04:46 AM

Three possible locations:

1. Relocate your battery to the trunk and use that vacated space.

2. Do an ABS delete and mount a round catch can in the same exact spot on the inner fender that the A/C dryer canister on the opposite side of the engine compartment is located.

3. Convert to a RamAir style intake which will allow the removal of the stock airbox and free up that area.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Three possible locations:

1. Relocate your battery to the trunk and use that vacated space.

2. Do an ABS delete and mount a round catch can in the same exact spot on the inner fender that the A/C dryer canister on the opposite side of the engine compartment is located.

3. Convert to a RamAir style intake which will allow the removal of the stock airbox and free up that area.
What I ment is where do I put the catch can inline with the PCV system.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
What I ment is where do I put the catch can inline with the PCV system.
Originally Posted by horsekilla 95TA
I have a catch can like that run on mine. I installed it inline between the PCV valve and where that line goes into the intake manifold under the TB. I couldn't use the factory line but I just ran it with 3/8 fuel line. I have had it installed for about 10,000 miles and have already removed about 1/2 quart of oil from it. Save yourself some money and just go to Lowes or Sears or somewhere and just pick one up for about $10-20.00 all you need is an inline filter for an air compressor, mine looks exactly like the one in the picture.

I also have the BF412 inline filter on the passenger side valve cover like was mentioned above. It fits in there like it was supposed to be there, you just have to remove the elbow to get it in there. I usually change mine every 2 oil changes or sooner if it looks like it needs it, they are only about $5.00 from autozone.
Originally Posted by horsekilla 95TA
The BF412 filter is connected from the valve cover into the original line that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the passenger side of the TB.

The inline catch can is in the line that comes from the PCV valve in the driver side of the intake manifold and goes to a vaccum source in the intake manifold under the TB. I also took the internal filter out of the catch can, it says no synthetic oil on the side of it but that is what I use and it hasn't had any kind of effect on mine.

They are not on the same line. I probably could have just gotten away with the catch can but I already had installed the BF412 filter before I did the catch can. I couldn't find any other LT1 guys running the catch can when I did it so I wasn't sure how effective it would be, but I tried it and it definetly keeps alot of oil from going into the manifold. So far I have stopped about a 1/2 quart from going through the intake manifold.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ighlight=catch
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM

Why not just put a small inline fuel filter in the hose that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body? Thats usually where the oil in the intake comes from anyway. The PCV system connects from under the tb, then over to the driver's side of the intake so I don't see where it could pull any oil from
Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
..... The PCV system connects from under the tb, then over to the driver's side of the intake so I don't see where it could pull any oil from
The PCV valve is pulling air/vapor from a port on the side of the intake manifold, and that port connects to the underside of the intake manifold. The hose to the bottom of the intake manifold under the TB (95+, its a U-tube back into the manifold on 93/94) is the vacuum source for the valve.

So the PCV valve is pulling air/vapor and any entrained oil out of the lifter valley. There's a sheet metal baffle on the underside of the intake to limit the entrance of oil and oil impingement on the bottom of the manifold, so you should not get much out of there, but the PCV valve port is exposed to oil.

The problem of oil builup in the intake manifold seems to be more related to the hose from the TB to the passenger side valve cover, and the use of a filter in that line is already covered in the second quote that "thesoundandthefury" included.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The PCV valve is pulling air/vapor from a port on the side of the intake manifold, and that port connects to the underside of the intake manifold. The hose to the bottom of the intake manifold under the TB (95+, its a U-tube back into the manifold on 93/94) is the vacuum source for the valve.

So the PCV valve is pulling air/vapor and any entrained oil out of the lifter valley. There's a sheet metal baffle on the underside of the intake to limit the entrance of oil and oil impingement on the bottom of the manifold, so you should not get much out of there, but the PCV valve port is exposed to oil.

The problem of oil builup in the intake manifold seems to be more related to the hose from the TB to the passenger side valve cover, and the use of a filter in that line is already covered in the second quote that "thesoundandthefury" included.
Ahh... I see where it comes from now

"thesoundandthefury" posted his response while I was typing mine so I didn't see it till after I posted, otherwise I wouldn't have posted what I did.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 AM

I'm seriously considering one.
Thanks for the link tsatf
Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

Thank you, thats where I figured it should go but I wasn't sure.