LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Whats wrong with my valvetrain (specifically lifters)???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 05:47 PM

Whats wrong with my valvetrain (specifically lifters)???

Alright, heard rattling, took valvecover off, found three rockers off the valves and two MISSING pushrods. Towed it home, took the intake off and found one bent pushrod, two OK pushrods laying in the valley, and one of the lifters popped out and was laying in the valley, but the missing lifter was not the same valve as the broken pushrod. Anyway, was installing my new Trickflow hardened pushrods today and got to tightening the rockers down and three of the lifters would start to compress before the valvesprings would. I dont exactly know what this means but I know if the oil came out of the lifter it would cause this but dont know how it got out or how to get it back in.

Second problem. The lifters for piston #1, the piston that had one bent pushrod and one missing pushrod (not the one with the missing lifter) will not spin in their slots, all the other lifters will spin all the way around, but not these, I am going out to find out if another lifter will spin in the slot and will post that up when I find out. In the meantime, what could cause this????
Old 05-20-2003, 06:09 PM

Notes: Took a look, any other lifter will spin in the holes just fine, even the other lifter that will compress by hand spins fine in there. I rolled the two that wont spin on a flat surface and they are not ovular or out of circle. I realy dont get it, it doesnt make any sense, maybe someone can figure this out.

Other notes: The lifters are stock. 987 springs (all the crap to match), magnum rockers. Rev limiter set at 6500, I wasnt driving the car when it happened but the kid said that it bounced once or twice in second. Pushrods were stock off a 94 automatic with 70??? miles.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:49 PM

Nobody knows?
Old 05-21-2003, 03:53 PM

What kind of pro magnum rockers do you have? Are the self aligning or not. What ratio are they. Some people that have an aftermarket cam and 1.6 ratio rocker run into poor valvetrain geometry. Did you check your pushrod length? How many miles are on your lifters?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:21 PM

Figured it out, the two things I decided not to replace this winter with the cam, the lifters and pushrods were the problem, i figured those were two things when i didnt have the $ that would hold up. Guess not. I had three collapsed lifters which in turn bent a pushrod and knocked two others out, comps are on the way hopefully nothing else got F'd up.