LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Whats wrong with my suspension/rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Thumbs down Whats wrong with my suspension/rear end

Well, last week I was forced to drive from home in NJ to work in MD in a horrible storm. Not good with drag radials, I ended up doing about 3-5 360's down I95, if it wasn't memorial day at 6 am I would have hit 10 cars and probably been dead, but I was the only one on the road. Anyway, I don't think its related to that, because I didn't actually hit anything, I'm about 99.9% sure anyway, I would have thought I would remember that.

I honestly can't remember if it started before this or right after, which is why I posted that little story. I noticed a nice dent in the side of my car from under the door to in front of the rear driver side wheel and I've got a black line down my rear driver side wheel in line with the long line/dent down the side.

So now my car handles like crap, every bump in the road make me feel like the cars going to spin out and I'll loose control, over 50 mph on the highway, its dangerous, somewhat feels like the rear end is not tracking straight, skipping over bumps instead of absorbing them. Thats the best way to describe it, I checked tire pressure, and they're all right.

Car's going in Monday AM, but its really bothering me, I don't want to keep driving on it if somethings gonna "let loose" .

Sorry for the rant, but this is really worrying me.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:50 AM

Did you get under the car to see if anything was loose, broken, etc? Does it feel like the rearend is moving side to side?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:54 AM

check for wheel balance. Could be the panhard bar if you have side to side movement, control arms if u have wheel hop kinda problems, then shocks and springs. Oh, and the torque arm. I think thats all you have to check back there unless I'm mistaken, just look for any cracks in anything or see if anything is bent. It's just metal back there................
Old 06-08-2003, 02:58 PM

After you get the rear situation sqaured away, invest $1000 for a beater that you can drive in the rain instead of the SS...
Old 06-10-2003, 11:42 AM

UPDATE:
Turns out it had nothing to do with me spinning down the highway, and it was a Blazer who just backed into me. At the dealer we were screwing around and the back bumper of a older blazer lines up perfectly with where i was hit.

They hit the wheel a little high, and bent the rim, cant see it just by looking at it, but the actual spokes have a bent to them.

So......... I've got a bent rim, and the body damage on quarter panel and door.

IF YOU HIT SOMEONES CAR LEAVE A ****ING NOTE!!!!!!!