LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What were your symptoms when the power steering pump went out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:02 AM

What were your symptoms when the power steering pump went out?

I don't know if it is my psp or what. The car is not hard to turn. It only happens at low mphs(pulling in/out of parking places). When I turn the wheel the front, by the tires, it kind of makes a "studdering" vibration. It is not hard to steer, just makes that "noise". What could it be? PSP...tie rods??? Help!!!

JOHN
Old 06-19-2003, 06:28 PM

Anyone?? I need to get this diagnosed.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:43 PM

Did it just start happening all of a sudden, or has it just got progressively worse.

Does it do this in both steering directions?

What you are experiencing may be what is called "shudder", oddly enough. It's funny that you used that term for the noise. That is exactly what we called it at GM. (I was an engineer for GM, and I used to design and "quiet down" power steering systems).

Unfortunately, "shudder" can be caused by a number of things. A sticky valve in the pump. A worn power steering pressure hose(possibly). A worn rack and pinion gear valve land.

Anyways, please tell me as much as possible and I'll try to help as much as possible.

By the way, if it's "shudder", it's nothing to worry about for the safety or durabilityof the car, it's just annoying. It's basically a fluid resonance in the power steering system.

Oh yeah, it can also be a factor of which tire is used.

Dan
Old 06-20-2003, 12:13 AM

Dan, thanks for all the info. It is exactly a "shuddering" noise. It steers in both directions, perfectly. I kind of feel as if I don't have a wonderful turning radius..but that probably doesn't have anything to do with it...it's been like that forever. It just started doing it all of a sudden. It was like one day it was fine, and the next day the "shudder" took over. I just have Nitto NT450's 245/50/16's on the front and they were on there a few thousand miles before it started happening.

If it is the "shudder" I am glad that safety isn't compromised. When I take out clients my wife drives my car and I drive hers and I've been worried that the car would just drop to the ground.

If you have any suggestions to help eleviate the problem, that would be great!! I hope it isn't too costly either. Let me know what you think.

JOHN
Old 06-20-2003, 08:22 AM

John,

Unfortunately, it's very hard to diagnose "shudder", as it is typically a combination of things. Nothing is doing anything wrong, but the combination of engine rpm, pump rpm and pressure in the steering system causes this pulsing to occur. Also, if the car is running a little rough at low rpm's, this can help cause it too because the sporadic rpm's can help start the "shudder".

If you have good steering ability, then you're pump is fine, but it could still contribute to the shudder. It's just not a durability issue.

Just to be safe, you should take the car to a local muffler shop/mechanic. They should be able to check over the front linkage for free. That's what I would do. If it's just shudder, which is what it sounds like from your description, you're o.k. and the linkage should be just fine. Just be sure that it isn't something else that may have popped loose in the front linkage/suspension.

Regards,
Dan
Old 06-20-2003, 08:28 AM

Yea, if your power steering pump is actually bad you will definitely KNOW it....it feels like you have no power steering at all...my psp went on my car a while back and everytime I wanted to make a hard turn I would have to rev the car to get the fluid flowing so it would turn easier...man did that make the autocrosses fun....

Anyway, you will definitely know if you psp is shot...if its the shudder only, then it is kinda hard to actually fix it inexpensively..
Old 06-21-2003, 12:27 AM

Well, that's not good news!! The shudder is safe...but expensive... It is weird...today it didn't do it at all...it only does it some of the time(well most...~75%). Where do you suggest I go to get it looked at? I'm going to head up to the shop up the street and see if he'll look at it for free...here in houston it seems as if there is always a fee just to look at it.
JOHN
Old 06-21-2003, 06:27 AM

try changing the fluid, pain in the butt to do but should solve the problem if the pump is still ok. make sure you properly bleed the system after putting in new fluid. mine will do that after several autocross runs, fluid gets really hot and i get that same low speed shudder. letting it sit and cool works but eventually i end up draining and refilling the system.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:25 PM

Thanks...I'll give it a try...it can't hurt
Old 07-06-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by DWoodAudio
try changing the fluid, pain in the butt to do but should solve the problem if the pump is still ok. make sure you properly bleed the system after putting in new fluid. mine will do that after several autocross runs, fluid gets really hot and i get that same low speed shudder. letting it sit and cool works but eventually i end up draining and refilling the system.
well, my pump went out after I did a couple donuts. when I relieve the tension on the belt, I am able to pull/push the pump pulley. would changing the fluid help, or is the pump totally shot?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:24 AM

Mine does a similar thing, started happening right after my header install- could those two be related somehow?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:27 AM

anyone?