LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What size cam can I run?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 PM

What size cam can I run?

I'm new to building gas motors. But I was wondering what is the biggest cam I can run in my LT1 with stock lifters and springs?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Re: What size cam can I run?

Basically, just the stock cam. Any cam change is going to necessitate upgrades to springs (lifters might be ok, if they are low enough miles). If you want to increase performance with a cam, you can't scrimp on supporting valvetrain parts and expect it to live up to your expectations or even survive.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 PM

Okay I want a good lope with some good power for a cam. Is there any cam and springs for on the cheaper side you could recomend that would be good?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:53 AM

Valve springs are pretty inexpensive so that shouldn't hinder you at all. The issue beyond the cam is the supporting mods. For an engine to work properly you need to get air in and out as efficiently as possible. That isn't the stock induction and exhaust systems. If you just change the cam you'll likely be disappointed. You should consider a good cold air induction system and headers along with your cam to get the best performance for the money you spend.

If you have your mind made up on just doing a cam, try contacting Llyod Elliot at Elliot Port Works. He'll recommend a setup for you that might fit your needs. Here's a link: http://elliottsportworks.com/

Please note that you will need to have your computer reprogrammed if you change the cam...

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LTcamaro1
Okay I want a good lope with some good power for a cam. Is there any cam and springs for on the cheaper side you could recomend that would be good?
"lope" and "power" don't work together in a basically stock engine. Lope comes from high overlap. High overlap gives up low end performance, for high end HP, requiring you to rev the engine very high. OK for a drag strip, but self-defeating on the street. Stock engine does not have adequate breathing to support high RPM.

To compensate for the weak bottom end, you need to consider higher numerical rear axle gears, or if it's an auto trans, a high stall converter. To compensate for the weak breathing of a stock engine, you need to improve the intake and exhaust, AND use high quality valve train components. And don't forget, the bigger the cam, the more critical a full PCM tune is.

All fairly expensive upgrades for someone who wants to cheap out on valve train components.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:08 PM

I have a cold air intake, headers, 3 inch straight pipe, custom dyno tune, and I'm fixing to buy a bigger throttle body aswell. Is there any good cam and rocker kits I could buy that would be decent for stock heads at the moment? I do plan on porting the heads in the near future. I would rather do it the right way and not have any engine failure.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:15 PM

I forgot to say I also already have a high stall converter aswell.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:11 PM

OP

any cam you get will require new valve springs. Your stock cam would benefit from new springs if they are the originals.

If you go with a cam and keep stock heads you would also need to do new valve springs.

Contact Lloyd at Elliott Portworks to discuss a stock head cam

You will need a new PCM tune for any cam other than the one you have now

Lloyd can also recommend/provide valve springs
Old 05-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LTcamaro1
I have a cold air intake, headers, 3 inch straight pipe, custom dyno tune, and I'm fixing to buy a bigger throttle body aswell. Is there any good cam and rocker kits I could buy that would be decent for stock heads at the moment? I do plan on porting the heads in the near future. I would rather do it the right way and not have any engine failure.
Would have been useful to include that info in your original post.

http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=32

Last edited by Injuneer; 05-04-2017 at 05:28 PM.