LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 01:55 AM

What to do next?

Ok, heres the thing, I will finally be coming into a little bit of money that can be spent on the Camaro, not much but enough to do some things. Besides for puting a gauge pod in so my Oil pressure can read (stock gauge not working), I want to get some more performance out of it. I am still thinking there is something wrong with it, it just doesnt seem as fast as it should be. My question to you guys is what modifications can i do that are relatively cheap that will give me the most bang for the buck.
What is on the car:
'94 LT1 with A4
Flowmaster cat back
!cat
LT4 KM
Blaster coil

My ideas:
3:73 - 4:10 gears
Moroso CAI (my rigged one isnt cutting it anymore )
PCM tune (after other mods of course)
MAC Mid's
Under drive pulleys
etc.

OK heres the deal, I will have about $500 to spend on it at the moment. I want any ideas of what would be the best, if you have any more let me know! My goal is a 13.5 at this point (or better if I can) I have no base runs as of now however next weekend could allow me to make a pass or two. I have BFG DR's to run on also. Out of what I have, or ideas you may have what would give me the best performance gains at this point? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2004, 02:19 AM

Re: What to do next?

Originally Posted by Bad64chevelle
Ok, heres the thing, I will finally be coming into a little bit of money that can be spent on the Camaro, not much but enough to do some things. Besides for puting a gauge pod in so my Oil pressure can read (stock gauge not working), I want to get some more performance out of it. I am still thinking there is something wrong with it, it just doesnt seem as fast as it should be. My question to you guys is what modifications can i do that are relatively cheap that will give me the most bang for the buck.
What is on the car:
'94 LT1 with A4
Flowmaster cat back
!cat
LT4 KM
Blaster coil

My ideas:
3:73 - 4:10 gears
Moroso CAI (my rigged one isnt cutting it anymore )
PCM tune (after other mods of course)
MAC Mid's
Under drive pulleys
etc.

OK heres the deal, I will have about $500 to spend on it at the moment. I want any ideas of what would be the best, if you have any more let me know! My goal is a 13.5 at this point (or better if I can) I have no base runs as of now however next weekend could allow me to make a pass or two. I have BFG DR's to run on also. Out of what I have, or ideas you may have what would give me the best performance gains at this point? Thanks!
I'd say gears, 3.73. A lot of people will say that was the best few hundred dollars they spent. Assuming you're rollin 2.73's right now.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:42 PM

I say you get yourself some headers and some gears..and best of all DITCH the slowmaster and get a REAL muffler such as Hooker, SLP, or somethig close

Matt
Old 11-21-2004, 12:46 PM

3.73 gears will be the strongest mod for < $500 dollars.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:09 PM

CAI and Headers
Old 11-22-2004, 07:36 AM

yeah thanks for the replies i have 3:23 at this point so id imagine i can get a bit more outta 3:73's or or even 4:10's so...anyways lil bush why spend another 400+ for a whopping 2 or so HP ill see from another muffler... i like the sound what can i say ill never feel the 2 horsepower by going with an slp or hooker exhaust over my "Slowmaster" , so why spend more money where as i could put it towards headers and not waste my time... so if i was able to do CAI, Gears, headers and a computer tune how would i be in repect of my goal of 13.5? even though that will run a bit more than $500.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:27 AM

headers..your 323's are just fine
Old 11-22-2004, 08:28 AM

Headers and a cold air kit, but that'll put you over that $500 mark.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:49 AM

So youre saying i wont feel much of a difference between the 3:23's and 3:73's? id admit that I wouldnt mind the extra off line performance, however the cruising speeds are nice with the 323's. My rear leaks really bad from the front seal and is squeeling ALOT lately! I figured while i was replacing the seal i might as well pull the whole thing apart and toss another set in there...im worried about my stock setup right now its been low on fluid MANY times and after the last time i filled up it continued squeeling Anyways if people think that i will not see a nice difference in performance 3:23-3:73 or even 4:10 than ill take your words for it. but id think that the car would become much more alive with a new gear set in it! MAC headers are the route i am leaning to at this point since i do have to pass emissions so LT's are out of the question (also because i go over speed bumps alot also!) Thanks alot. Anymore input?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:10 AM

your 323's are good thats not a neccesity to change...Headers wake a LT1 up nice...You'll see a little improvment w/ the gears but I think headers should be done 1st...I would save up enough for a nice stall converter and gears, that would be a huge gain..btw where bouts in bordentown...im on 130 everyday...have family in florence
Old 11-22-2004, 10:16 AM

OK now i got ya...the bigger increase would be gears and TC like anything else...ok so Headers + CAI for now....i think i can actually get both for in my price range...umm well you are on 130 every day well then you know the Acme on Rt. 130 in Bordentown correct? Well if at that light (in front of acme with 2 gas stations and a open lot) you were to make a right and continue down that road cross over Rt. 206 you would be on my road (Georgetown/545) cant miss me theres either my orange Chevelle or the camaro up front. Chevelle would be in the garage though Usually one of the old cars are up front also were always workin on something we blew up ...err i mean happened to not get right
Anyways so i figured over winter break (once i can get back to work since im at Rutgers right now) i could save some more money and then go for the Gears and TC. My question would be what gears and converter (Stall Speed) would you recommend since this is my daily driver, but 13.5 is the goal and i wouldnt mind hittin 12's while getting DECENT gas mileage

Last edited by Bad64chevelle; 11-22-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM

Yea I know where you are....cant go wrong w/ 3000-3500 stall(I wouldnt go any lower then 3000)and 373's....dont forget the drag radials though....12's no problem..especially at atco...as far as the cai and headers, id either go w/ the slps or rk sports and the lowest price cai would be the ligenfelter(very simliar to the k&n/moroso). Might wanna unload that crappy catback why your at it also

Last edited by Antz97ZNJ; 11-22-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 PM

OK so a nice 3000 stall, 3:73's and a SLP CAI. But...for the last time im not gettin rid of my flowmasters. I like them! I wont feel or see any difference by spending 400+ for another exhaust...thats 400 for my headers and what not. I love the way they sound and they get the job done! So if i do the CAI, Headers, Gears, and a computer tune the 12's could be a possibility?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bad64chevelle
OK so a nice 3000 stall, 3:73's and a SLP CAI. But...for the last time im not gettin rid of my flowmasters. I like them! I wont feel or see any difference by spending 400+ for another exhaust...thats 400 for my headers and what not. I love the way they sound and they get the job done! So if i do the CAI, Headers, Gears, and a computer tune the 12's could be a possibility?
SLP or Rksport for the headers...there both 1 3/4 ...Lingenfelter is a similar design cai as the k&n and moroso but only cost $150ish. If you dont wanna unload the junkmasters then you might as well throw a 30 dollar cut out on to gain some power cause your system isnt gonna pass anyway if i read your sig. correctly you have no cat...the bolt ons and gears had my LT1 runnin low 13's....the stall should get you somewhere in the 12.7-12.9 area.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 PM

Well SLP or RK headers would be nice and all but i dont have that much money...MAC's are what i will be most likely going with. And once i get them and the new y pipe on it will get a new cat which will be bolted in and out so i can run a gutted cat or the real cat for inspection since the cops around my area do normal checks and WILL look under the car for a cat! I been busted once with my buddies 5.0 with no cats but somehow talked my way outta it! I think that by the spring time i will possibly have the Headers, SLP Cai, gears, BFG DR's, and the computer tune. Low 13's High 12's? whats more likely? I know it depends alot on the car and driver, but comparable to other peoples vehicles with similar mods.