LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What Brand Tranny Fluid Do You Recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 01:14 AM

What Brand Tranny Fluid Do You Recommend?

I'm getting ready to do a tranny swap. I'm going to be using Dexron III, but what brand do you guys recommend? Also how much fluid will a completely empty tranny and torque converter take? Isn't it right around 10 qts? I've been told to fill up the TC with approx. 1 qt and install it. Then dump 8 qts. in after it is completely installed. But just want to hear other opinions. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Banned

Re: What Brand Tranny Fluid Do You Recommend?

Originally posted by Rich_z28
I'm getting ready to do a tranny swap. I'm going to be using Dexron III, but what brand do you guys recommend? Also how much fluid will a completely empty tranny and torque converter take? Isn't it right around 10 qts? I've been told to fill up the TC with approx. 1 qt and install it. Then dump 8 qts. in after it is completely installed. But just want to hear other opinions. Thanks.
for an auto i would run the mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid!

in a six speed situation you only wanna run dexron III NON SYNTHETIC!! i personally run the valvoiline dexron III non synthetic in my M6 only cause i cant find any mobil 1 non synthetic ATF fluid
Old 07-10-2003, 01:35 AM

Synthetic......really? I've been told not to use synthetic. Anybody else want to chime in?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:47 AM

Yeah I wanna know too cause I want to use the Royal Purple ATF when I flush. I remember GMHTP using all Royal Purple fluids when they got their project 94 Z28. It should be ok
Old 07-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Banned

Synthetic......really? I've been told not to use synthetic. Anybody else want to chime in?
WTF?? for an auto right??? who told you that some backyard idiot that works at an auto repair shop and has been working on cars his whole life dont listen to those kinda people! DUDE NO ONE knows LT1's like the people on this board do! people hear like myself have researched this sh*t like no ones business!
I LOVE arguning with people like that.. once i called this guy who has been building engines his WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE and he SWORE TO ME that my LT1 came STOCK with 4 bolt main caps!
synthetic for the auto = good
synthetic for the M6 = BAD
Old 07-10-2003, 01:53 AM

LOL. Alright man, I'll take your word for it.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:13 AM

My tranny builder told me just regular good old Dexron III, so that is what I am using. I put 2 quarts in my TC and then 4 quarts in the tranny started the car up and finished putting in 3 more quarts. I got tired after working on the dang car all day so I will finish up tomorrow. I got Castrol tranny fluid.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Banned

LOL. Alright man, I'll take your word for it.

dont take just MY word for it! all im saying is DONT listen to most idiots out there that CLAIM to know their **** about cars! cause THEY DONT! the average jiffy lube homo or car repair guy doesnt know SH*T! these newer cars are SOOOO complex that its almost IMPOSSIBLE to know EVERYTHING about them UNLESS you specialize in them! thats why i do my own work! you cant trust ANYONE to work on your sh*t these days and expect to get GOOD WORK! i would NEVER try to tell some guy what his mustang cobra has in it or whats wrong with it or whats good for whatever in it! its such a COMPLEX car in its OWN WAY! just like the LT1 or LS1... THEY ARE COMPLEX cars in THEIR OWN WAY! pretty much EVERY CAR IS! you cant listen to ONE person the worst ones are the people that say "MAN I DEAL WITH TONS OF CARS EVERYDAY I WOULD KNOW" BULLSH*T!!! they dont know!! until they have torn EVERY car apart that they say they deal with EVERYDAY down to the FRAME then they dont know SH*T!!

Think about it, ITS SOOO TRUE!!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:04 AM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, no problems so far for the 20000 or so miles that I've been running it. Thats how long I've had the converter in for.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:30 AM

I'm running valvoline maxxlife. I had mobil 1 ATF in there, and every once in a while it would tag the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift. Once I switched to maxxlife the problem went away, plus it's cheaper too. It took me 9 quarts to fill up after TC swap, and shift kit install, so the tranny was almost completely dry.

John
Old 07-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Administrator

I ru synthetic tranny fluid in all my regular street cars. Any car that I take to the track has regular trenny fluid. Synthetic fluid is more slippery and a heavy car with lots of power can sometime scause the transmission to slip under heavy load which is something you want to avaoid at all costs.

When I put my new tranny in last fall I tried synthetic fluid. It slipped. I changed to regular fluid and it was fine. That was just my experience.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:38 AM

I run Mobile 1 syn in mine and do a lot of open track road racing and I think it works great.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:48 AM

If you want to truly switch to Synthetic tranny fluid you'll have to draing the tourqe converter if it's an automatic. I think it still holds 4 or 5 quarts even after draining the fluid.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:11 PM

Well the tranny that I just bought has a Super Servo, Shift Kit, and extra clutches. So it should be grabbing gears pretty hard. I think I'm going to stay away from the synthetic and just run Dexron III. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
dont listen to those kinda people! DUDE NO ONE knows LT1's like the people on this board do! people hear like myself have researched this sh*t like no ones business!

synthetic for the auto = good
synthetic for the M6 = BAD
LOL

but i'm using Redline synthetic D4 in a M6 and it's never shifted better!!!

Quick Reply: What Brand Tranny Fluid Do You Recommend?