LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Went to the track today.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 09:25 PM

Went to the track today.....

Well I went to the track today with the new setup. 224/230, 1.6RR, EX 612 springs, new timing chain, and tuning from madwolf along with my previous mods like headers and borla. I was expecting some good times today but apparently it wasn't running right because I was only trapping 106 and change. Thats not even the worst part, my first run was a 13.65@106.83 and then my second was a 13.52@106.11 and on that second run I think I collapsed a damn lifter.

Basically I am wondering what I should check for once I get the lifters fixed as to why my car was trapping so low with that setup. The only thing that I can think of at this point is O2 sensors. I know I have not replaced them and I have had the car for like 3 years (16-17k miles). Could that be a result in the low trap?

Thanks guys
Old 05-01-2004, 10:21 PM

Also, will O2 sims work on a 94? If not what do you recommend I replace them with cause I may just replace them anyway since it may have never been done and the car does have headers.

Thanks guys
Old 05-01-2004, 10:27 PM

O2 sensors aren't used at wide open throttle, and O2 sims are only functional on 96-up cars.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
O2 sensors aren't used at wide open throttle, and O2 sims are only functional on 96-up cars.
Any other suggestions then as to why I am trapping so low? I have new plugs and wires too and a new coil.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:53 PM

How was the weather?

My suggestion would be to

1. Hook the car up to a scanner and log some runs, and see what's going on with all of the sensors.

and

2. Dyno it w/wideband, check the air/fuel ratio, and make sure the HP/torque curves are smooth and dont have any jagged dips or anything anywhere.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:57 PM

what was your 60'?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:52 AM

Well I don't have a program to hook it up to to make any runs, so at this point thats not really an option...It did throw a SES light on my way home from the track today though, so once I get the lifters done I can go to autozone and have that scanned...

The weather wasn't too bad...probably mid 70's or so with a nice breeze. My buddy with a 2000 Z28 with just a lid and cutout was trapping at 107 and change just to give ya an idea of the conditions.

As far as my 60 foot time goes that shouldn't matter for my trap speed, in fact the worse the 60 foot time usually the higher the trap speed (at least for the most part), but anyway my 60 foot time was a 2.18
Old 05-02-2004, 06:19 AM

What makes you think you collapsed a lifter?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by RealQuick
Well first off I reused my stock lifters that had 92k on them since the Comp R's were backordered. Second all there is a really loud ticking noise and I can tell that it is coming from the passenger side. And finally I have a race tach that recalls the highest RPM since last reset and it read like 6300 I believe and that tach is like 200-300 below what the stock tach reads so I think that I overrevved the car a little too much....I am 90% sure its a collapsed lifter, I guess it could be a bent pushrod, but I doubt it since if I did overrev it, it wasn't more than a second.

Does anyone in the Albany area have a program or something that I can hook my car up to to run a check on what the sensors are doing??
Old 05-06-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by RealQuick
He's got hardened pushrod spaghetti in the valve covers, damage to the rockers (mostly on the valve end where thing ran sideways and all amiss, and even damage to the valve covers. Some of the valves open all the way, some not.... they are fragged...

6500 RPM's sustained... too much for nothing less than an all new, lightweight LT1 valvetrain.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by CeeBee94Z

The weather wasn't too bad...probably mid 70's or so with a nice breeze. My buddy with a 2000 Z28 with just a lid and cutout was trapping at 107 and change just to give ya an idea of the conditions.

As far as my 60 foot time goes that shouldn't matter for my trap speed, in fact the worse the 60 foot time usually the higher the trap speed (at least for the most part), but anyway my 60 foot time was a 2.18
man, on a stock cam with some suspension mods i cut 1.98 short times, a 2.18 is pretty bad. i'm assuming your car is an M6 cuz it's not that hard to launch and auto. i'll also assume for your sake you're running on street tires which would make up for the bad 60's. a bad start will ruin your run, i dunno why you're trapping so low but with the tune you should definitely be running in the 12's.

or you need to do the good driver mod!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by screamin94Z
man, on a stock cam with some suspension mods i cut 1.98 short times, a 2.18 is pretty bad. i'm assuming your car is an M6 cuz it's not that hard to launch and auto. i'll also assume for your sake you're running on street tires which would make up for the bad 60's. a bad start will ruin your run, i dunno why you're trapping so low but with the tune you should definitely be running in the 12's.

Yes it is an M6(so not just point and shoot) and yes it is on street tires. I have zero suspension mods plus the size of the cam doesn't really matter for your short time so I don't see what that has to do with anything. Anyway, I was running the tire pressure too high as well I was kinda in the testing mode cause I figured I would get a good 5 or 6 runs in at least. Plus those runs were at the very beginning of the day, so it was colder and the track wasn't as sticky as it could have been. But again like I said, the 60 foot time has nothing to do with why I am trapping so low, I can deal with the 60 foot time later.

Last edited by CeeBee94Z; 05-06-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by screamin94Z

Chris isnt a bad driver... he is running tires with a rock solid side wall and a real grabby clutch. He also autocrosses the car, so gotta find a balance between all the facets of motorsports.

I was that friend ... I was cutting 2.10-2.2 short times, also running a car that is used on a roadcourse and is autocrossed, with some minor suspension stiffening tweaks.

Also, you have to realize that lebanon usually is not that sticky of a track... kinda greasy. I ran my times through the correction gizmo for the day's conditions... 13.06 @ 108 and change, and thats with my crappy 60' times. Both cars have 12s... with more traction... just both of us are chicken to blow the rear ends in our cars with any other tire. I take mine off the line at nearly idle, and dont powershift.

FWIW, I had an A4 98 Mustang GT and a 72 442 TH350 (open rear with a sandbag or 3). In both I could cut sub 2.0 60' times with it... this M6 car is a hell of a lot harder to get off the line.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:46 PM

i wasnt trying to insult anybody, i'm just saying that those times arent normal for what your setup should be making. i understand about not wanting to blow out the rear, you guys with M6's have a lot more to worry about than my auto. your 60' time should be lower if you're making more hp, and you're making substantially more than i am. i'm not trying to attack anyone, just stating what i saw. sounds like you got a good setup, i cant wait to get my cam and stall in mine and go ahead and blow the crap outta the 10 bolt at teh track!
Old 05-06-2004, 08:38 PM

I have learned from doing my cam that if it has any more lift than my cam than you are supposed to do lifters... even with my cam i get a ticking noise from a lifter not pumping up all of teh way.... When i do my next cam swap i am DEFINITELY going to do lifters. I say change the lifters and you will be fine. and get that ses checked out.

Chris

Quick Reply: Went to the track today.....