LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

weight deductions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 06:48 PM

weight deductions

So far i have removed about 100lbs of crap. And I was wondering how much more I would have to remove before I see a change in my e.t. . So far my friends have been telling me it doesn't matter how much I remove it will still run the same times they say it only works good on the *** cars because of the weak motor. But I think they don't know what they are talking about.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:56 PM

it will have more effect on a lighter import, because they have so much less horsepower it will change the raito more quickly (they have 1/3 the horsepower, they only need to take off 1/3 the weight to have the same effect.. at least i think thats how it works) but 100 pounds will definately make a difference. take off say 150 pounds and you'll get the same boost in speed that you get when you drop off a passenger...
Old 02-15-2003, 06:59 PM

What 'crap' did you remove?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by RamAir95TA
What 'crap' did you remove?
lol probably his jack and spare tire. bah who needs em?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:04 PM

I removed the back seat, put in lighter summit racing front seats, speakers, spare tire and accesories, and bought a lighter battery, I also removed the air pump. That pretty much way a hundred lbs. plus I got rid of the sun reflectors and a few extra small things.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by dnz28
I removed the back seat, put in lighter summit racing front seats, speakers, spare tire and accesories, and bought a lighter battery, I also removed the air pump. That pretty much way a hundred lbs. plus I got rid of the sun reflectors and a few extra small things.
I would have thought the seats alone would have gotten rid of 100 lbs. guess they aren't as heavy as they look?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:14 PM

The back seat is realy lite but the front are pretty heavy. The back seat weight only ten pounds.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:32 AM

For every 100lbs that you remove you should drop 1 tenth in your 1/4 mile time. That is what most of the drag racing guys say anyway. I have heard it time and time again in Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines and I have also seen it on several other reputable websights like LS1 tech for example.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:41 AM

instead of taking all the "crap" out of your car, why dont you try to increase your HP? i mean, unless this is just a weekend car, then taking those things out is kindda inconvenient.

but, as far as weight goes. a reduction of 100 lbs is the rough equivalent of gaining 10 hp.

--shokor--
Old 02-16-2003, 12:42 AM

a/c delete
Old 02-16-2003, 12:46 AM

I'd switch every part of the car out with parts from an 02 SS then put all the old parts I switched out together and sell them on autotrader. I'm tired.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:14 AM

Seats dont weigh that much, carpet is about 40 pounds, basically its not that easy to dump weight. There is a local with a cage very close to 3000 pounds, but he doesn't even have a working set of doors, he has door skins with fastners.

So, by the time you drop 100 pounds, your already going to have a pretty stripped interior, no passenger seat, and not much of a street car anymore. This may not bother everyone, I hardly ever have passengers, but removing the rear seat for instance gains maybe an 18 pound drop. Now what happens when you want to put that seat back in, how pissed off will you be Rip out the whole interior and drop maybe .08, I dont run the AC but part of that is because I dont need it in my area and its just in the way. That gets rid of about 25-30 pounds off the front.

Until you rip out everything that you dont use, and start replacing windows with lexan, replacing the crossmember with a tubular unit, replacing the 40 pound hood for a 10 pound carbon fiber one, etc, you wont see a significant weight drop. There is one person with a stripped car who says it comes in around 3200 pounds.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:09 AM

I read once somewhere on the net about a guy with I think a 79 T/A ? Anyway his motto is light is right. His did some radical stuff. I learned that motto after getting involved with motorcycles, and then, duh, saw that I should apply it to my auto as well. Basically weight is the antithesis of performance. Not only does your car go faster - both accel and top speed (sans speed governor) - but it stops quicker and handles/turns better. Overall you get a much better sport car with less weight.

And maybe someone can point me to the thread about weight savings? It was pretty detailed ( doesn't mean accurate ) but was at least a great reference for those interested in weight reduction. It couldn't have been more than a month ago.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:57 AM

Duh, I found it. It's older than a month - must've been when I read it

http://www.ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/u...5;t=000021;p=1
Old 02-16-2003, 01:06 PM

This is everything i've done....
remove spare tire and jack
remove back seats and seat belts
remove all padding and sound deadning material under carpets
remove front bumper supports
remove front sway bar
hit a deer and got a fiberglass hood from State Farm Ins.

Quick Reply: weight deductions