LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

We need a performance LT1/LTX intake! 2007 SEMA maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Re: We need a performance LT1/LTX intake! 2007 SEMA maybe?

actaully..if edelbrock or someone would just make a super victor with efi and bolt holes to fit the lt1 I would be happy. Maybe even an elbow to fit our throttle bodies with a map mount.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95Bird
actaully..if edelbrock or someone would just make a super victor with efi and bolt holes to fit the lt1 I would be happy. Maybe even an elbow to fit our throttle bodies with a map mount.

Y do you think guys like me do that? Because nobody is going to offer one out of the box...

Originally Posted by atljar
Not a hard formula here. Add runner length, add plenum.
Yep sounds like a Single Plane to me.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:54 PM

The LT1 is old enough now, it has hit the streetrod scene. That should open up the aftermarket for it all over again and then some. You can now buy a ton of speed parts or the Northstar V8 since it hit the Sandrail scene a while back. If the LT1 only had the aluminum block those sand guys want..
Old 11-15-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Yep sounds like a Single Plane to me.
Bret Here is one for you-
Reading some mustang (blasphemy!) boards. They have been running the spider single plane intakes too. Some of them with a large single bore TB, and others with a 4 barrel carb type TB.

The guys who have done both types of TBs, have seen 30-40 hp with swapping to the carb type. To me thats odd becuase you lose all the plenum that the elbow provides. I would also think the elbow would act like a velocity stack of sorts.

Would something similiar apply to us lt1 guys?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 PM

Whats this MSD Opti you guys are talking about? I was told that MSD only makes caps for the opti..
Old 11-15-2005, 11:36 PM

It's new at the SEMA show I guess.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 PM

msd actually does make the full opti now, it can be purchased at advanced auto for 271 and some odd change, and it comes with a breather tube no matter if its 93-94 or 95-97, msd basicly made it a vented conversion with a few other great benifeits
Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChevyTuffD.A.
msd actually does make the full opti now, it can be purchased at advanced auto for 271 and some odd change, and it comes with a breather tube no matter if its 93-94 or 95-97, msd basicly made it a vented conversion with a few other great benifeits

I think $271 was just for the cap and rotor, I dont think the full, complete opti is out yet. Look for it to be over $500, just guessing though.

David
Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I think $271 was just for the cap and rotor, I dont think the full, complete opti is out yet. Look for it to be over $500, just guessing though.David

Yeah, what he said! ^^^^
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 AM

I think $271 was just for the cap and rotor, I dont think the full, complete opti is out yet. Look for it to be over $500, just guessing though.

David
The cap & rotor is $150 from summit, MSD-84811. I haven't seen the complete set yet, but MSD has been offering their stuff at the same price as OEM, so it should be less than $500.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 AM

David
i knew it was to good to be true :P

back on subject, I do think that a new intake in 'single plane' style converted for fuel injection would really sell for our motors. Look at how many new people ask questions on here about how much a gain they will see swapping to the lt4, just assuming it's a bolt up install just like going from ls1 to a ls6 intake.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 AM

Problem there is a single plane isnt easily made to be bolt on and go.

Even if you take a single plane already designed, you cant just change the bolt holes on it because they hit the runners. So you are already into moving runners around a touch = totally new intake. After that you have fuel rails, throttle cables, linkage, TB, etc etc to make work, and make work under all configurations of a stock hood.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 PM

Bret Here is one for you-
Reading some mustang (blasphemy!) boards. They have been running the spider single plane intakes too. Some of them with a large single bore TB, and others with a 4 barrel carb type TB.

The guys who have done both types of TBs, have seen 30-40 hp with swapping to the carb type. To me thats odd becuase you lose all the plenum that the elbow provides. I would also think the elbow would act like a velocity stack of sorts.

Would something similiar apply to us lt1 guys?
I have an opinion on this as I'm sure Bret does.

I know we're placing alot of emphasis on plenum volume but as I see it, the volume is only important to a point. Where as a little more volume might help considerably, there comes a point where even more volume does nothing. Unlike a carbed setup, you can't have too much plenum volume with MPFI intake but it does reach a point of diminishing returns.

I had the opportunity to observe, measure and poke a custom built CFE LTx intake last year built to support ~600fwhp atop a 350 cid, 6-spd, 7k rpm engine. FWIW, the plenum volume was roughly 12% greater than stock.

As far as gains in HP between single blade and 4bbl type are concerned... what exactly are they swapping out? IMO, going with a single 4bbl type might be a good swap but building an intake that could take advantage of another 4bbl would probably show even more gain.

-Mindgame
Old 11-16-2005, 05:14 PM

They were swapping from a elbow and 90mm setup to a 4bbl and carb hat setup.

So they were losing plenum on theirs.

Thanks for your insight MG, and anything else you have to say
Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up Re: We need a performance LT1/LTX intake! 2007 SEMA maybe?

They were swapping from a elbow and 90mm setup to a 4bbl and carb hat setup.

So they were losing plenum on theirs.

Thanks for your insight MG, and anything else you have to say
Yeah, they probably had enough plenum volume from the intake. I'd suspect a VE loss and I bet it'd be interesting to see VE #s from that swap on an engine dyno.

Reason I asked what they were swapping is to get an idea on the size differences between the tb's. Going from a 90mm to say... a 4500 flange 4bbl type tb is sure to make a difference.

-Mindgame

Quick Reply: We need a performance LT1/LTX intake! 2007 SEMA maybe?