LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

The waterpump debate, electric or stock.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Banned

The waterpump debate, electric or stock.....

I honestly cant decide what i want to do. Building a 383 stroker.

Freeing up the power and getting rid of the bastard water pump drive seal would be awesome, but then comes the reliability problems.

i really do not want to lose a brand new motor b/c a pump dies out, so maybe i should just stay stock?

convince me otherwise!
Old 06-05-2003, 01:56 AM

Electric!!! Summit has the CSI electric for $135. I'm not sure what a stock one goes for, but I don't think an electric is TOO MUCH more than a stock. Either way I'm not putting this 111K mile stocker back on to have it **** out on me in a few months.

There's on dyno graph floating around in another electric WP thread that was ~6 or 7 HP. One can expect ~7-10 rwhp from this. Plus, with this you can use a true double roller timing chain...

The pump installs in the stock housing.

That's gonna be the route I'm going!!!!

I'm sure there's negatives too, but I'm ignoring them
Old 06-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Banned

i realize the pros on teh electric pump hehe, but how about the cons, i mean once it goes, it will go and temperature will rise rapidly.

Actually ive got a trick idea for a warning system involved the temperature taht should work as long as the temp sender works the way i think it does.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:57 AM

I'm sure there's negatives too, but I'm ignoring them
Then I looked in your sig. lmoa.

Jeff D.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:00 AM

Unhappy

well you ll obviosly know when the pump goes(electric).but dont they have a warrenty of 3000 hours or so.even if it does die out your motor wont be totalled.just have it towed or get a hose and fill it up and drive back home.im going witht he csi.but cant a stocker give out too?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Banned

the stock can go out, but it will slowly die and leak coolant out the weephole before it does.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:49 AM

i vote for the electric
Old 06-05-2003, 01:59 PM

Not sure where I would vote..

I installed my meziere about three weeks ago.. well now my car is dead waiting for a new one in a parking lot.. I hope I got to it soon enough. I was driving on the Norfolk naval base and smelled coolant.. ugh.. looked at the gauge and it was pegged 250+ parked in a hurry.. but it had left a line of coolant about one hundred feet down the road and was overflowing dexcool everywhere..

Still don't know if there is any damage but man... kindof makes me think whether I would rather of stuck with possible leaks than having the whole thing crap out on me.. This was a pretty expensive swap all together I would hate to tear it apart again...
Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by thewinner
i realize the pros on teh electric pump hehe, but how about the cons, i mean once it goes, it will go and temperature will rise rapidly.

Actually ive got a trick idea for a warning system involved the temperature taht should work as long as the temp sender works the way i think it does.
Just happened to me last weekend. The pump itself didnt go, but doing some work around it I broke the fuse holder to the pump and didn't realize it. Temps climbed to 260 within a few minutes after startup, it started running like crap then I finally realized what was wrong after the "check gauges" light flashed, actually about 1 minute after it came on I realized it was the elec wp The car was fine afterwards though, no coolant spilled out so I guess it didn't completely overheat. It's running fine now. That "check gauges" light stands out pretty good when it comes on, if I ever see it again I'm turning the thing off immediately and then try and figure out whats wrong.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:08 PM

I chose to stay with the stock style water pump because my stroker runs pretty hot as it is and the electric will make me run slightly hotter.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Banned

I think I will stick with a stock pump on my new motor. I can live without the 7 or so HP
Old 06-05-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by SloMofo
I think I will stick with a stock pump on my new motor. I can live without the 7 or so HP
the only thing that would scare me is if im on a long trip and the pump fails on me then im screwed, with a stock pump you can at least get home and not be stuck god knows where
Old 06-05-2003, 03:13 PM

Just to make it easier on you guys, here's the link to Keith's page on the dyno improvements using a Meziere E-WP.

http://www.ws6.com/mod-14.htm

Dan
Old 06-05-2003, 03:18 PM

is it possible to rig the Harlan shift light to blink or stay solid when the CSI goes out? i want to mount one in my A pillar
Old 06-05-2003, 03:24 PM

I love my Electric water pump, I will NEVER go back. I can swap out my Mezeire in no time if I need to... had it over 2 years now without a hitch, and I drive my car almost every day of the year.

In the Mezeire there's a weep hole in the bottom, but I think it would only leak if the seals go.

Quick Reply: The waterpump debate, electric or stock.....