LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Water Wetter? yea or na

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 03:28 PM

Water Wetter? yea or na

What's the correct and best mixture coolant and water wetter to put in 95 Z?
Old 07-19-2003, 03:30 PM

I added two bottles when I did my coolant flush. Haven't had any problems and the temp dropped something like 15*.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by ltwonz
I added two bottles when I did my coolant flush. Haven't had any problems and the temp dropped something like 15*.
I'm with him. I used two bottles and it helped lower my temps by about 15*.

I use dexcool 50/50 mix with two bottles mixed in.

I run a 160 stat and I never see above 180 on my guage with the a/c on or off.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:58 AM

When I tore my engine down and looked at the block and radiator, there was NO rust at all. I do change the coolent every two years and add a bottle of water wetter. But I also have the biggest Griffin radiator that will fit in the stock location so the temps are never a problem.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:01 AM

Watter Wetter works........ Good stuff, it helped out a lot when I had my thirdgen.

John
Old 07-20-2003, 01:23 AM

no no no no!

please please DONT use watter wetter!!!!

explanation: watter wetter lowers your coolants ability to absorb heat...thus making it cooler. well if it doesnt absorb as much heat, your block gets HOTTER! if you have an oil temp gauge, you will notice that whatever temp you lose in the water shows up as an increase in your oil temp! hot oil=bad for the engine!

dont use it!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:03 AM

ttt, i want to make sure everybody knows this!!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:22 AM

I thought whatever heat you lost on the coolant is being transferred to the air via radiator fins. If you have something to back up you claim, I would like to see it before I stop using it.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:36 AM

yes, i do.

water wetter LOWERS your coolants ability to absorb heat. follow me so far? so, the coolant is actually cooler (ie gives you lower reading on the gage). BUT, if it wont take all the heat the engine puts out, the engine runs HOTTER. but it still looks like your coolant is cooler, because it is! if you have an oil temperature gage, you would realize that your oil (and the rest of your engine) is just getting hotter because the water wetter wont let the coolant absorb as much heat. doesnt get much simpler than that

i invite anybody with an oil temp gage to try it. i will bet my car that i am right. hows that for odds....
Old 07-20-2003, 08:53 AM

So, what chemicals are there in watter wetter to lower the absorption of heat in your coolant there, Mr. Wizard?? I'm sure you know, but maybe you don't want to tell us because we're so stu-stu-stuuupid and we might not get it

Please tell me you are not basing this on a higher oil temp reading after using watter wetter. What about measuring cylinder head temperature? That would be a good measure.

John
Old 07-20-2003, 11:03 AM

What the hell is that guy trying to say? Water wetter does not and can not lower the coolant temp and raise block temp or oil temp, ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!! Basic Physics says so--Heat will always travel toward a cooler area(the coolant) then to the radiator fins and out to the air. He is saying that the watter wetter will trap the heat in the block which cannot happen..What water wetter does is stop the formation of air pockets close the the combustion area and cylinder heads (like boiling water in a pan, you will see air bubble formation on the bottom of the pan, same in your engine) which promotes better cooling. It also coats the inside of cooling passages to stop formation of deposits (rust, scale, etc. Water wetter is so good that you do not even have to run coolant just 2 bottles and watter will work better then coolant can. Antifreeze sucks for removing heat from the engine, straight watter works better as long as you have a good cooling system that does not boil the crap out of the water. Anyways thats my 2 cents and I could go on about it but you get the point.
I will always use water wetter in my car, has not hurt anything so far!!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by FastZinTennessee
So, what chemicals are there in watter wetter to lower the absorption of heat in your coolant there, Mr. Wizard?? I'm sure you know, but maybe you don't want to tell us because we're so stu-stu-stuuupid and we might not get it

Please tell me you are not basing this on a higher oil temp reading after using watter wetter. What about measuring cylinder head temperature? That would be a good measure.

John
please, at least try to listen. no need to be an ignorant jackass....whatever happened to a healthy debate?

fordkiller is on his way to the right idea...he is correct in the fact that water wetter does not DIRECTLY increase the temp of the oil...that would be just plain stupid. what it does is makes your coolant UNABLE to absorb as much heat. that means that your coolant is cooler...great! but, if it is not absorbing as much heat, that means that your engine is HOTTER....which you are able to see with an oil temp gage OR a cylinder head temp gage. try it sometime, i dare you
Old 07-20-2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Fat Kid
please, at least try to listen. no need to be an ignorant jackass....whatever happened to a healthy debate?

fordkiller is on his way to the right idea...he is correct in the fact that water wetter does not DIRECTLY increase the temp of the oil...that would be just plain stupid. what it does is makes your coolant UNABLE to absorb as much heat. that means that your coolant is cooler...great! but, if it is not absorbing as much heat, that means that your engine is HOTTER....which you are able to see with an oil temp gage OR a cylinder head temp gage. try it sometime, i dare you
wrong. Water wetter increases the waters heat soaking capability.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by jasons93z
wrong. Water wetter increases the waters heat soaking capability.
whatever you say....

do you even have any factual basis for that statement? see, i read things, like magazine articles and tech writeups...ever heard of those? i have no problem with conflicting opinions, but back it up for christs sake!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:59 PM

Fat kid,I think you are the one that needs to show us some proof.

Quick Reply: Water Wetter? yea or na