LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Water pump question

My pump is leaking from the weep hole, I am going to replace it, but I was wondering why the weep hole leaks is it because the impeller?

The reason I am asking is because I want to get an electric pump, but I do not want to buy a whole new pump with housing then spend another $200 on an electric impeller. My question is, can I just throw the electric pump in it and be fixed?

It may seem like a dumb question haha, but I can't see having to buy a whole new housing each time the weep hole leaks.

I did search some and never found my answer, so hopefully I never missed a post.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 PM

When you plug the stock housing for the EWP, you will plug it from the inside and this will do away with the weep hole. At least that is what my instructions told me to do with my kit I bought from summit. The pump from the summit kit is made by the same people who make the CSR pump, and it comes with everything needed. You just have to buy a $.50 freeze plug to plug the timming cover hole where the WP drive use to be. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BLKOUTZ28
When you plug the stock housing for the EWP, you will plug it from the inside and this will do away with the weep hole. At least that is what my instructions told me to do with my kit I bought from summit. The pump from the summit kit is made by the same people who make the CSR pump, and it comes with everything needed. You just have to buy a $.50 freeze plug to plug the timming cover hole where the WP drive use to be. Hope this helps.
OK, so an electric pump will "fix" my pump by blocking the weep hole, and I would not have to buy a whole new pump. This is great news.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
but I was wondering why the weep hole leaks is it because the impeller?

The reason I am asking is because I want to get an electric pump, but I do not want to buy a whole new pump with housing then spend another $200 on an electric impeller. My question is, can I just throw the electric pump in it and be fixed?
The weep hole is designed to leak as a signal to the owner that the water
pump is going South - basically, it's the shaft seal that's failing ... the water
is "allowed" to pass around it and out the weep hole.

You do NOT need to purchase a new water pump housing. Simply purchase
an electric pump, remove the current housing, press out the bearings and
impeller, tap in the supplied freeze plug, mount the pump housing back to
the engine, then mount up the electric pump.

You'll have to "customize" the fan shroud ... maybe some of these photos
will be of some assistance:
http://picasaweb.google.com/calder.c...eat=directlink
Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Fixed mine the same way a little over 3 years ago when I first bought the car.
EWP went in painlessly and has been working for 30,000 Miles without issue.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Great guys, everyone really answered this question nicely. This is what I am going to do. Thanks for the nice link

Damn, they done shipped my pump from autozone, anyone know if I can just take it back to the store and return it without shipping it back lol?

I had a dumb *** attack and never asked cz28 first, like I should of.

Last edited by bombebomb; 04-26-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Great guys, everyone really answered this question nicely. This is what I am going to do. Thanks for the nice link

Damn, they done shipped my pump from autozone, anyone know if I can just take it back to the store and return it without shipping it back lol?

I had a dumb *** attack and never asked cz28 first, like I should of.
Most stores do, I don't have a whole lot of experience specific to AZ though.
Give em a call and ask.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Most stores do, I don't have a whole lot of experience specific to AZ though.
Give em a call and ask.
I just sent the customer service an email to cancel if fedex never had it already. I will make due whatever happens.

Thanks for answering the question.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:40 PM

I just sent the customer service an email to cancel if fedex never had it already. I will make due whatever happens.

Thanks for answering the question.
You can always refuse the delivery if it gets shipped. It'll be returned to the shipper.
Works with FedEx and UPS, not so well with USPS.

I've had to do that before.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

If you go with the summit kit there should be very minimal if any shroud cutting since CVR,CSR is shorter than most pumps. You will not need the weep hole because you will be able to tell if your pump goes out now.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 PM

I am going to order the summit pump, Its a little better then stock I believe anyways. I read how many GPM the stock one was yesterday but it slipped my mind, seemed like 26.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 AM

I sincerely doubt the weephole in the stock pump was designed to signal that the pump is failing. If that's the case, why have it point right at the opti so it can ruin that as well? I suspect it is there to relieve any pressure builduip that might occur in operation.

OK, electric pumps. As far as I can tell, the Summit racing pump is a rebranded CSR pump. That's OK, I guess, and it does flow better than stock. However, my experience with that company (CSR - but they've renamed themselves since then) is pretty poor and I wouldn't buy anything from them based on that experience. Of course, for every guy that has a bad experience you'll find 10 that'll say everything is alright. Take my comments with a grain of salt. Anyway, the Meziere HD pump is a better choice for a couple of reasons. 1) it flows more coolant than the Summit pump. My car runs at 170F regardless of the ambient conditions and I live in sunny Florida. 2) The warranty is twice as long as the CSR pump and 3) there are no modifications required to the pump housing beyond removing the impeller and plugging the drive mechanism hole. The Summit and CSR pumps will have you grinding to complete the fit.

The Meziere pump is longer than the Summit pump and you'll have to noth\ch the fan shroiund for clearance. Believe me, you don't need to remove much and it take about a minute to do this. use a rounded file or a dremel tool and you'll be fine. If you cut the shroud, be sure to round any 90 deg angles to reduce any chance of cracking there.

And, finally, use a quality wiring harness. Painless wiring sells a nice kit with relay and circuit breaker. Mount the circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible and you'll be safe from melting stuff....

One benefit to an electric pump hasn't been mentioned. Since you can run it without the engine you can keep the temps down between runs at your local dragstrip.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM

With the summit kit you get the painless wiring harness. And as you have had a bad experience with csr I have heard the same about meziere. I had to do no grinding for the cvr summit pump and I even went ahead to make sure it works properly before putting it in the housing.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLKOUTZ28
With the summit kit you get the painless wiring harness. And as you have had a bad experience with csr I have heard the same about meziere. I had to do no grinding for the cvr summit pump and I even went ahead to make sure it works properly before putting it in the housing.
Like I said, for every guy with problems there are ten that everything worked our for.....you just proved it.

I personally have a problem with rebranded stuff but that's just me....I'm a rebranded snob I guess....LOL
Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Going to install this soon, I was just curious on everyone's methods of blocking off the drive hole in the timing chain cover, one of the write ups I read just used a washer some black rtv and a bolt it appeared. Anyone else have different ways?

Quick Reply: Water pump question