LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Water Pump Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 01:31 PM

Exclamation Water Pump Help

My water pump is on its way out. I did a search but still I really have no clue how to go about replacing it and what all parts I need. I do have a Haynes Manual. But can someone please tell me what is everything I need to buy/get and where to get it from and how to install a new pump.
Also how hard is it to do and are there any install guides or advice you'd give?
Old 11-08-2003, 01:40 PM

It's not difficult at all.
  • Disconnect battery terminal.
  • Drain coolant (using the petcock valve on the passenger side of the radiator).
  • Remove intake ducting.
  • Disconnect cooling fans and remove from the A/C condenser. Pull up on the fans to dislodge them from the tabs on all four corners, then drop them straight down.
  • Remove the AIR pump (3 bolts) and coil bracket (2 bolts). Disconnect all electrical connectors and tuck out of the way.
  • Remove all of the coolant lines from the pump. Expect coolant to come out of every hose. It will probably be a bit messy, but try to protect your optispark as much as possible.
  • Remove the six bolts holding the pump to the block. One doubles as a stud for the AIR pump, so it might be a little tricky.
  • Pull the pump off the block.
  • Remove all the old gasket material off of the block.
  • Install the new pump with a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the new gaskets.

Reinstall everything in reverse order, then fill the system with 50/50 mix of Dexcool (or the green stuff) and distilled water. Open the coolant bleeder hoses on the heater hose and the water neck, and run the engine until coolant flows from the valves in order to bleed the system. Repeat this process once or twice more over the next few days.

Any questions in particular, just ask.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:41 PM

It's not too hard to change. You need a new waterpump, 2 waterpump gaskets and basic tools to change it. There is a decent guide on streetillusionsracing.com, click on the link for the opti install and it will show you how to remove the waterpump also. Be sure to put some sealant on the water pump bolts when you reinstall them or they might leak.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:49 PM

Should I just go to AutoZone and buy a new Water Pump? Do I need to buy some sort of gasket kit, O-rings, RTV, or any other things to finish the job?