LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

VIDEO: LT1 Problems turning engine over and starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:01 AM
bz7

Question VIDEO: LT1 Problems turning engine over and starting

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted in awhile, but my LT1 engine swap is still going. I tried to start it multiple times over the last few weeks. First, the starter couldn't turn the engine over, so I thought it was bad and bought an LT4 starter. Then the new LT4 starter couldn't turn over the engine either, so we took out the spark plugs and put some oil into each of the cylinders and that freed things up a bit, but apparently not enough. It still takes a substantial amount of force at some points with a 1/2" wrench to the crank to turn it over by hand. The last time I heard the engine run, it was 5+ years ago in the donor Firebird.

Any advice?

Should I put something else into the cylinders to free things up a bit more? Like WD40, PB Blaster, ATF, or something else?

Link to video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhhZqCp7nLA

Thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 AM

If it is just stuck pistons from surface rust fill the cylinders with marvel mystery oil. Let it sit a few days and then try the breaker bar again. You may have to refill and do it a few times, I have unstuck engines that were rusted solid this way and they ran like new.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Put a new battery in it and try again. The solenoid clicking like that is a sure sign of a weak battery. See how the engine turns backward about 1/8th of a turn when the starter quits cranking? If it was seized in any way that would NOT happen. If you were supplying power using jumper cables(I couldn't tell from the video if there's a battery in the car), then that is your problem. Get a good new battery of the largest size you can fit in the car and try again.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM

I dont think its stuck either, just need more battery. Check your grounds and cables and have the battery checked. It gets it cranked over until compression builds and then the power goes away and all it can do is click. Same goes for turning by hand, you cant turn a good running lt1 engine over by hand more than a small angle at a time until it becomes impossible and you have to wait for the compression to bleed off.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:54 PM

I agree. from the vid it sounds like a dead battery. i'd either charge the batt you have in the car or get a new on. plus check ur ground cables.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 AM
bz7

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
If it is just stuck pistons from surface rust fill the cylinders with marvel mystery oil. Let it sit a few days and then try the breaker bar again. You may have to refill and do it a few times, I have unstuck engines that were rusted solid this way and they ran like new.
How exactly does this method using Marvel Mystery Oil? I have a pint in my garage. How much would I put in each cylinder and what's the best way to get it in there? I made a complete mess when I pulled the plugs and put some oil into the cylinders using a hand pump.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 AM
bz7

Thanks for all of the replies and tips guys!

Izzy, while trying to start the car, I did use a jumper cables. I attached them directly from the starter and engine block of the LT1 to another running car. I thought this would provide enough juice, but perhaps the connections via the jumper clamps aren't good enough? I even put a battery lug onto the starter to get a better connection with the jumper cable clamp.

It sounds like I need to hook up a dedicated battery to the car and that my current setup won't do.

I haven't bought one yet since the car hasn't been running and I've been trying to limit my spending until I hear the engine run. I guess I could always borrow a battery from another one of my cars.

Last edited by bz7; 11-16-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 AM
bz7

BTW, I measured with a torque wrench, and it takes about 30 ft-lbs to turn the crank.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bz7
Thanks for all of the replies and tips guys!

Izzy, while trying to start the car, I did use a jumper cables. I attached them directly from the starter and engine block of the LT1 to another running car. I thought this would provide enough juice, but perhaps the connections via the jumper clamps aren't good enough? I even put a battery lug onto the starter to get a better connection with the jumper cable clamp.

It sounds like I need to hook up a dedicated battery to the car and that my current setup won't do.

I haven't bought one yet since the car hasn't been running and I've been trying to limit my spending until I hear the engine run. I guess I could always borrow a battery from another one of my cars.
For whatever reason, I could NOT jump my car strictly with jumper cables and a running car. Though it SHOULD work, my friend and I tried for over an hour to start mine using cables and it would never do more than yours is doing. We even tried hooking up 2 sets of cables and it still wouldn't start. For some reason it seems that a good battery(one that can be charged with the cables for a while before starting) is necesary. Definitely get a dedicated battery, it'll start!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 AM

Bro thats a dead or weak battery plain and simple. Dont go chasing problems that are not there. Borrow one out of a working car and put it in. It will start.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
bz7

Got it to fire! But then it dies...

Picked up an Optima and got it to fire! But only for a second and then it dies.

More videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYMAHYrJ5lA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsVAwjkf7k

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:25 PM

Fuel pump?

Sounds like it's getting enough fuel to run for a second or two everytime you prime it, then runs out of juice.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Try this, get some starter fluid and have a buddy spray very very small amounts into the intake to see if he can keep it running after you initially start it. Then you know its a fuel problem.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 PM

What year is the PCM and harness that you are using? I'm pretty sure that's what my 95 does when the MAF is unplugged.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Fuel pump?

Sounds like it's getting enough fuel to run for a second or two everytime you prime it, then runs out of juice.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it.
I second that if that noise i hear is the fuel pump. Why is it shutting off? It should run all the time.

Quick Reply: VIDEO: LT1 Problems turning engine over and starting