LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Vibrating/thumping sound with headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 PM

Vibrating/thumping sound with headers

After my header install, I noticed a pretty annoying vibrating/thumping noise coming from the engine area. I finally tracked it down to my passenger side header collector vibrating against my k-member. Couple of questions:

Do you think it may just be my motor mount is sagging and allowing the motor to sag just enough to vibrate against the k-member? It seems to be a very intermittant problem, sometimes it vibrates, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes its bad, sometimes its just kinda annoying.

If it is the motormount, how hard is it to replace? Would it be possible with just a small floor jack and simple hand tools? Anyone have any writeups? What kind of mounts are offered nowdays and what would be best?

As as simple fix for now, would it be okay to grind down the k-member some? I tried to grind it down some but it is almost too tight of a fit and I was just too tired to do anything else. Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:05 PM

Re: Vibrating/thumping sound with headers

"Do you think it may just be my motor mount is sagging and allowing the motor to sag just enough to vibrate against the k-member?"

YES

"If it is the motormount, how hard is it to replace?"

Not very hard compared to the headers you just installed, you just need some patience. BE CAREFULwhere you put your fingers while the engine is jacked up!

"Would it be possible with just a small floor jack and simple hand tools?"

Thats all you need except a block of wood to go between the jack and the oil pan.

"What kind of mounts are offered nowdays and what would be best?"

Do a search on poly mounts.

"As as simple fix for now, would it be okay to grind down the k-member some?"

Yes, but depending on the amount of clearance needed you may have to really butcher the K member. If your going to take the time to fix things do it right the first time. Your mounts aren't going to get any better.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 PM

Well that is somewhat of a releif to know that is really what the problem is. Now when you jack the motor up, do you really jack it up by the oil pan with a block of wood in between? Do you jack one side up at a time or do you do it in the center?

Anyone have any write ups? I'm pretty sure that it can't be any harder than the header install I just did! Anyways thanks captaindbol for your help.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:04 AM

Some people put the jack under the balancer at the front of the crank but I Think there is less chance of slippage with it placed square under the oil pan. And no, you will not hurt the oil pan.

Remove the tranny mount bolt.
Loosen engine mount bolts on both sides.
Pull the bolt from the side you want to start on and jack the engine up as needed. Replace that side's mount.
Put the bolt back in but do not tighten anything.
Change other side.
Replace bolt, hand tighten it as well.
Re install tranny mount bolt.
Tighten Tranny mount bolt
Tighten engine mount bolts
Count all your fingers, If you have the same number you started with it is a success