LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Vac. pumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

Vac. pumps

not sure if I should post it here or advanced......

anyone have a vac. pump system on the LT1? If so I was trying to find some pics of set-ups.

Also what drive set-up
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Are you looking for a pump to evacuate the crankcase and pull a vacuum on the rings, or are you looking for a pump to provide enough vacuum to operates vacuum accessories, like the brakes?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

a pump for low tension rings......

I was hoping someone had some good pics of an install......we have a few systems sitting around I was hoping to pc. one together if I could see how it was set-up.........

Have not bought rings yet.....was looking to go with a low tension ring along with the pump
Old 06-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

You know who's engine this is (not an LT1):

Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

Yep....that explained alot to me.....

I was trying to mount the pump low like we normally do, but it would not work. Now I see where I can put it at.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 AM

I have been looking into this as well....

These guys have some units...

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/
Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

What does not show in that photo is the vacuum relief valve on the passenger side valve cover. You can see it in this one.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 PM

I don't want to sound like an idiot but here goes.....

What are these vacuum pumps for? I know I read low tension rings, but I am just confused.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 PM

Bring this back from the dead. I bought a gz motorsports kit. Basically had to get everything for a sbc,since they didnt have anything LT1 specific. My concern is it doesnt look like the mandrel is going to fit inside the balancer. Its meant to slip in the middle hole and looks about an inch to big in diameter. Anybody got any pics of what others are using? Just need to see some crank mandrels. Thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

does it have 2 dowel pins?

What damper are you using?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Thats part of the issue. The engine is away and the mandrel is here. But, from memory I can tell its not going to fit. I thought I had seen one that bolted to the balancer via the 3 bolts. Its an ati balancer.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 PM

I am doing a GZMS vac pump mod to a 97ss LT1 383 - D1. I ordered most of the stuff from GZMS (pump/ hose pkg/ tank/ crank drive/ pulley). Useing a #103 pump. I had to move the rad forward to gain room for an passenger side mount. Went with crank driven, and a custom alum bracket that mounts to the Rt frame rail above the front sway bar (in front of the surpentine acc belt drive). I'm about 80% there.

I devised a custom spring mount to use as a belt tension device since the pump is not mounted to the engine. The engine has Urethane mounts so I am not concerned with deflection.

There was no easy way to mount the pump on a LT1 blower car. I believe this will work for me. I will fab my own regulator that incorporates the same principal of the GZMS unit (No clearance inside the valve covers).

I also will use the same pricipal as shown on the GZMS site to lube the vanes (since I will drive this on the street).

I do not have pics, but will soon. I would be happy to post these if you like. This has been my winter project. B.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM

How did the crank drive work out? Id like to see some pics of it please.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by tapout911
Bring this back from the dead. I bought a gz motorsports kit. Basically had to get everything for a sbc,since they didnt have anything LT1 specific. My concern is it doesnt look like the mandrel is going to fit inside the balancer. Its meant to slip in the middle hole and looks about an inch to big in diameter. Anybody got any pics of what others are using? Just need to see some crank mandrels. Thanks
I thought the same thing when I first saw it saying there is no way that is going to fit.

It did.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 AM

The GZMS crank drive is a 2" dia piece. Piloted on one end and mounts with a 7/16 fine thread bolt. I had to machine a 1.5" extention and move the belt drive for pump clearance of the surpentine drive. Depending on your set-up the mount can vary. Mt set-up is a follows... (LT1 hub/ March underdrive pulley/ powerbond dampner/ spacer/ ATI 12 rib blower pulley.) Due to overhung load and moment on the drive, it looks best to keep the diameter as large as possible. Sorry don't have pics yet. Out of town. B.

Quick Reply: Vac. pumps