LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

V6 vs V8???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 PM

For a 16 year old a v6 is fine!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 PM

For a 16 year old learning to drive a z28 is a death trap. Get something big and slow and learn how to drive first, then go for the power.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 PM

I noticed the V6's handle better too.
My 84 2.8L felt like it handled better then my 87 TA
My 00 3.8L felt like it handled better then my 02 WS6.

I'm sure the TA's actually had higher skid pad numbers and could whip around quicker, but they really don't feel as light on their feet as the V6's.

Oh, and since we were talking about the comparison of LT1 to LS1 <> LT1 to 3.8 figure this:

Stock times LS1 = low 13's
Stock times LT1 = low 14's
Stock times 3.8L= low 15's

There are always cars that can run quicker, but those seem to be the average. Looks like a pretty fair comparison to me.

And I'm not saying a V8 (LT1 or LS1) is junk or not quicker then the V6, but comeon, no need to rag the car as if it's crap. Nothing wrong with owning a V6 or modifying it to be quicker. It's all about enjoying your f-body no matter what engine

Chris
Old 01-28-2004, 11:04 PM

My first car was a 94 3.4L V6. If your looking for a rear drive V8 in the future, one of these is a good starting point. I, myself wouldnt modify the car much if any, but if you decide to make it fast, then go for it. V8 or V6, it really doesnt matter if your running the same times. That would be like me running up to a guy in a grand national running 13.7s and saying "Ya, but mines a V8" Or me racing Tiago, who runs a lower 13 second pass than me and sayin "Well, if ya had a V8........................ummm you..........still would have beat me" The bottom line is, fast is fast, if you race someone, it aint gonna matter what he has, if you win, you win. End of story.

And if you arent looking for speed, than any camaro will do. It all depends on what your looking for.

If you start on the V6, as I did, you will get a good feel for how the car drives, especially in bad weather. This will give you a good foundation if decide to step up to a Z28 later.

Don't listen to anyone that says "A V8 is supreme, they shouldnt make V6s" If I am not mistaken, they have made V6 camaros pretty much since its creation. It isnt meant to be a corvette, which is only for performance. If you look at all the "muscle cars", the majority have had V6 versions. If they didnt, they probably would not survive in todays market, or the market in the past either.

This is coming from someone that has owned both and has liked both.

Paul
Old 01-28-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by ROADRAGE
Look at the replies in the thread. How many guys with V-8's do you see saying
"Sure, I would love to have a v-6, but my v-8 is ok"?
None. Now how many V-6 guys have said they would love a V-8, but the V-6 is ok? Almost all of them. Get the 8

And to the "Why is everyone hating on the 6's?" No one was hating, but the fact is the LT1 is the better engine, just like the LS1 is the better between it and the LS1, no hating, just how it is.
I would not mind having a V6. They are pretty fun to drive. I think one outfitted with the same suspension mods on my Z would out handle it. No, it won't go as fast or get there as quickly, but how often do you use all that power? Don't get me wrong, I like the torque and HP of the LT1 and have had many big block cars of the Chevrolet and Oldsmobile variety.

As far as "better", how can you compare "better"? As I posted before-apples and oranges. The 3800 has been acclaimed much over the years for it's design and power. But it is what it is and designed to fit in the market as such. If you want to compare the things that plague the LT1 vs. 3800, the 3800 would probably come out as "better" just because it has direct fire ignition and no optispark.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Chrisz24
Not really,

I drove an LT1 BEFORE my V6 and I rode in a LS1 TA also.

I was considering geting a 01 Z28 just a few months back.

But why?

My car is payed for

Super reliable

Gets 24-30 MPG ALL THE TIME

has great power all around.

The V8 LT1 just felt too clunky, not as robust or responsive
are you retarted My LT1 is VERY VERY smooth, and fast. You probably just couldnt afford a v8.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:44 AM

In all honesty, this is a pretty bad first post, but I've been reading this forum for around 2 years now.

Why you ask - to answer constant questions I have regarding problems with my car. It's a 3.4, and I know they're not all like this, but this is the worst car I have ever owned and worse than any car anyone I know has ever owned.

Not only does it sucks in the snow (forget going up any large hill), but the engine has had one problem after another and the more this car gets on my last nerve, the uglier I think it is.

I gotta be honest - get something else. I am 24 and if I had this car when I was 16, God only knows how I would have paid thousands and thousands (nearly $6,000 in the past year) to fix this junker. The car ran fine until it hit 100,000 miles. From then on it literally started to fall apart and something new needed fixed once a week, including a head gaskets, the radiator, a rebuilt transmission, an engine replacement and then later on an engine rebuild because the one I bought used ended up being a POS as well after 6 months.

Sorry to be so negative, I know you guys are passionate die hards here with a ton of knowledge, but I just wanted to give the advice I wish someone would have given me four years ago.

Brad
Old 01-29-2004, 04:06 AM

i stepped up gradually, by accident not by choice tho and i'm happy the way i did it, i feel i learned to respect each car i've owned in different ways and having slower cars to begin with made a difference in the respect i have for driving
1st car...'85 Honda Accord SEI 4cyl (17yrs old)
2nd car...'92 Chevy Lumina Z34 DOHC 6cyl (19yrs old)
3rd car (present)...'97 M6 Camaro Z28 8cyl (bought it when i was 21 and i'm now 24)

my opinion to you is go out and test drive so many cars that you will get sick of test driving them, dont just aim for one particular model, you might end up not being happy with it!
weigh all options and abilitys that every car has that you test drive and make your choice from there
good luck

Steve
hell you might be happier in a Civic, you never know....
Old 01-29-2004, 05:21 AM

I owned a 3.8 V6 Fbody for 3 years before getting my Z. It was and still is a fun car to drive. I drive it to work as much as possible to save some gas and keep miles off the Z. (can put 87 octane in the v6 and my Z still doesn't get quite the milage of the v6 even with the 6spd).

I drive both cars pretty often, so I get a good comparison on them. Both are even manual tranny cars. The Z feels stiffer in the turns and is quicker for sure. I have no idea what that guy was talking about the LT1 being clunky though.

The 6 has a softer suspension, which you can even notice when accelerating because it squats a lot more than the Z does and it also lacks a lot of the torque down low, which is mainly what I miss when going back to the 6 after driving the Z. Even after driving my Z the 6 is still fun to drive, especially when I drive it a while and get used to it again. I love picking on rice in it. My 6 went a best of 15.4 and I think it has a 15.2 in it. It takes a lot for most hondas to do that. I also think the v6 is a great car to learn how to handle one of these cars with.

I do love my Z and definately do not regret getting it. I don't hate V6s because I have it though. Its all about what you are looking for. I think it makes a good car for a 16yr old (thats when i got mine). The 3.8 will go 15s stock and thats good to whoop on most hondas out there, who by the way, all think V6 f-bodies are the slowest cars ever made and get really pissed when you beat them.

So take it from a guy who has both...they are both good cars. It just matters what kind of money you have and what you are really looking for or think you are ready for.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:39 AM

fast cars are safe... suppose you cut someone off and they are about to hit you, you just floor it to get out of harms way
Old 01-29-2004, 05:52 AM

if you're getting the car for speed get the V8, otherwise stick to the V6.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:16 AM

This is getting silly. A v6 is no faster than a v8 stock vs. stock, and a v6 doesn't handle better then a v8. Yes they are probably smoother but handle BETTER,,, no. This is getting SILLY. All in all the v8 is the way to go. I have NEVER owned a v6 but have driven a 01 v6 camaro. It was a nice car, but no they are not better and faster than a v8. Being 16 the v6 will be fast enough for you,
Old 01-29-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Lt1 and Ls1
will be fast enough for you,
and i thought the same thing of a stock z28 man was i wrong
Old 01-29-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by navyblue2000
yes, but it is the end of their *****.

It's kind of funny how, when you step up from a V6 to a V8, *most* the time (save for V6maro...but...), you still have some kind of respect for them. My brother went from a 3.4L 95 firebird to a '98 Z28. He loves the Z, but still has plenty of respect for my 3.8L camaro. He actually likes the idea of me modding the V6. But again, it's where you came from. People who work 'up the ladder' in society (i'm not viewing Fbodie enthusiasm as a society where the V6 guys are at the bottom) tend to have more respect for people with less than them. But your people who were born into money have no respect for people who don't have money (in general).

i like my V6 powered camaro. Would I like a V8? yes. As a daily driver If a 3.8L L67 Turbo charged in a GTP can run 10.xx @ 13x, i don't see why a lighter, RWD, better geared car of similar engine could go low tens/high 9's at 13x/140

Honestly though, I love my brother's Z. What's bad (to you big bad V8 boys) is he was willing, WILLING to trade me, all I do is take over payments. And he's as big of an F-body fan (not BIG BAD V8 fan, not LT1/LS1 fan) as anyone could meet.

maybe that's the problem with people today. It's not the car around the engine, it's the engine around the car.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? The guy that's got the...oh nevermind the pee pee jokes
what's real sad is to see good old 'v6maro' showing his true head-up-his-butt attitude again.
he has an SS now, and says that the V6 isn't worth it. I guess some people forgot where they came from.

and yes Steve, FRAT BOY, if you can read this i'm calling YOU out
Navy, you are such a tool it isn't even funny.

I simply stated for a 16y/o the v6 is fine, but it is not worth modding, as in $/hp.

Name one mod on the v6 that will net 30rwhp+ for < $400 and not require, boost, or motor work. Yep, nothing. (ls1 headers do - and yes, you can get them that cheap if needed)

Anyhoo, that's besides my point in this post. Calling me out? On what? You want to race me? V6 vs V8?? Ok, you name the time and i'll name the track that's close to both of us, that's ME calling YOU out. I need a new rear end care to wager any $? Let's see what you got!

-Steve
Old 01-29-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Mitch666
I had a v6 because my dad thought I wasnt mature enough and I dont know why he even bothered because I got a 94 z28 6 months later. I am probably one of the few teens who can respect power, but dont waste your time with a v6. My z28 cost 5800 and the guy through in a whole bunch of stuff with it, plus it has a 1500 sound system in it so I wasn complaining.

Yeah i got my Z when i was 16 and i havent wrecked it yet and im 19 now. I just love to mod and race my car. As long as you learn your cars limits then you wont kill yourself !!!