LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is upgrading from shorties to Long tubes worth the $$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:23 PM

Is upgrading from shorties to Long tubes worth the $$ ?

I have Edelbrock shortie's/y-pipe on my '93 LT1 now. I can't say for sure how much of a power increase I got out of them compared to stock because they were already installed on my car when I bought it.

I've been considering upgrading to either Jett hot's (they've just released an emmisions ver. for the '93's) or possibly FLP's. You can check out the mods on my web page at http://members.cardomain.com/lt1fun

Basically I've done some work to the intake and cylinder heads aswell as an LT4 Hot cam. How much of an increase in HP/Torque would I get from upgrading to the long tubes? Would I see an ET improvment (something worth talking about ?)

Do any of you have any experience with eith these two brands and let me know what you think/recomend?

Are long tubes worth the money or am I better off spending it on something else and keeping the shorties I have now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:28 PM

This arguement has went on for a while now. Try a search, you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I like my MAC mid lengths. Every dyno test I've seen show that mid length headers make more top end HP.

A while ago, I asked the same question...Has anyone switched from shorties to LTs and ran any better. I wanted dyno #'s or quarter mile ETs. Nobody responded.

Frank
Old 01-18-2004, 06:37 PM

YES most definately, I did, and haven 't regretted it once. I got the car almost bone stock, so I can vouch at the difference that shorties make compared to LTs. There was more of a difference between shortys and LTs then there was between stock manifolds and shorty headers and UD pullies combined (I did those at the same time). Find a buyer for your shortys and spend a little extra on the LTs.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:12 AM

Long Tubes are awesome. I had the Edelbrock shorties and they are very restricting. When I put the LTs on it was like a completely different car. Highly recommend LTs. Plus they sound really sweet.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Zepp
Long Tubes are awesome. I had the Edelbrock shorties and they are very restricting. When I put the LTs on it was like a completely different car. Highly recommend LTs. Plus they sound really sweet.
Funny thing is, if you look at that GMHTP LT1 Bolt-On shootout, the fastest car there was running *gasp!* edlebrock headers.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Funny thing is, if you look at that GMHTP LT1 Bolt-On shootout, the fastest car there was running *gasp!* edlebrock headers.
LOL...I was one of the 2 cars still running exhaust manifolds at that event. Went a 13.1 there, but my previous best was a 12.82. 93,000 miles, and had never popped a valvecover.

Frank

BTW, your PM inbox is full
Old 01-19-2004, 12:13 PM

HAHA yes you'll see gains! I don't know why people insist on shorties in the first place...they hardly see any gains at all...

As for the long tube -vs- MAC midlengths, the long tubes make more power across the board than the mids do...the only gains over the long tubes were a small hp increase at over 6500 RPM's...

If you have the cash, go TPiS or Finish Line Performance long tubes...if not the Hooker's or Jet-Hot's will be just fine...
Old 01-19-2004, 12:43 PM

IN my opinion Lts will give you more low end TQ but Ive never heard that they would in any way limit Topend over shorties or mids. Upgrading to LTs would definately be worth it.

Later,
-John
Old 01-19-2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
LOL...I was one of the 2 cars still running exhaust manifolds at that event. Went a 13.1 there, but my previous best was a 12.82. 93,000 miles, and had never popped a valvecover.

Frank

BTW, your PM inbox is full
Frank, PM box cleared.

LT's are not a necessity to make power. Take the above quoted persons car. CC305, good heads, MAC headers. 12.0 with more to go. Take me, XE 224/230, good heads, ASM headers, and I made 375/363 through a catalytic convertor. Full exhaust, no cutout, nada.

I have yet to see a dyno graph of the same car moving from just shorties or mid-length design headers to Long tubes. Until then, I'm not sold.

I will say that yes the LT's do make great power, but completely discounting anything else just because of what' you've heard is not really substantiated. There's plenty of cars running SLP headers (should I bring up Intimid8er from the EFA board, who went 11.9X@111 with those), Macs (a guy I've seen at Atco going 12.8X@108 with those, stock convertor, no rockers), ASM's, RKSports, Edlebrock (fastest bolt on LT1 at the GMHTP shootout), and the others.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:43 PM

All I know is that when I put jet hot long tubes on my car it ran like a scalded dog (fast). Definitely does make a difference. The shortys are restrictive because I have a friend that has a m6 93z with shortys and only runs a 14.2, I ran a 14.1 before the headers and exhaust were on my car. Get jet hot or some kind of ceramic coating because if you dont then the headers will look nasty, also helps keep the heat down.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:20 PM

I went from BBK Shorties to Hooker LTs and duals. Not until the cold snap did I pick up any MPH but I should have, b/c along with that swap I did head work and trans work. I would actually like to run the Edelbrock shorties in comparison to my LTs. I bet it would run the same.
I just dont think my car moves enough air to warrant the LTs. I really like the Edelbrock shorties and proof to me is the LT1 BO shootout. See how many people were running LTs and Russ ran the Es. Look at MPH in that write up.

If I were to do it again I would go with Edelbrock shorties and keep the y-pipe and be done with it.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by badblackta
All I know is that when I put jet hot long tubes on my car it ran like a scalded dog (fast). Definitely does make a difference. The shortys are restrictive because I have a friend that has a m6 93z with shortys and only runs a 14.2, I ran a 14.1 before the headers and exhaust were on my car. Get jet hot or some kind of ceramic coating because if you dont then the headers will look nasty, also helps keep the heat down.
Oh ok. Just because he runs a tenth slower in an M6 means that the headers are more restrictive. Makes a ton of sense, u know, since ET doesnt have as much to do with power gains as trap speeds do. Show me two cars that are both perfectly sound and in tune, same transmission, same tires, same track conditions, same 60' time, and compare the 2 cars' mods, then MAYBE I'll believe you. Next time make sense.

Thanks
-Matt

Last edited by Cmr0z28; 01-19-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Holy! How many messageboards did you post this on? lol

I don't think anyone is gonna tell you not to do them.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
Holy! How many messageboards did you post this on? lol
Whenever I 'm looking for information in regards to my car, I usually post it on 3 to 4 different forums so that I can get a wide variety of responses that will (hopefully) be useful to me. Normally though I usually only get good responses from one or two though.

Anyways, from the looks of it, this forum is pretty much evenly split when it comes to the LT/Shortie issue. I guess I was hoping someone could show me some sort of "proof" that LT's are worth the extra $$.
I'm not rich. Far from it unfortunately. I mod my car with what little money I have left after I pay my rent, bill's and buy my groceries etc. I've saved up about $1500 Can. over the past 3 month's and I want to get my money's worth. If someone can tell me that I WILL see/feel a performance increase over my Edelbrock's than I'll go ahead and buy them. I just want to make sure y'know ? Otherwise I'll spend my $$ on something else.
Doe's anyone have a dyno sheet with before/after longtube install over the previous shorties? Also, if I decide to go forward with it, should I go for the Jet Hot's or FLP's ?
F-body central has the Jett hot's for $510 shipped. Has anyone here delt with them before? What did you think? Please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by '93 formy ...; 01-19-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:02 PM

93formy My car represents one of the better running stockhead na lt1's. I switched from AS&M midlength headers to Hooker coated longtubes and gained no et to speak of both opened or thru mufflers. I had AS&M with cutout up front with 3in catback. I run the Hookers with 2 bullets. One thing that I didn't see mentioned is that with longtubes I started dragging the exhaust on speedbumps,driveways,etc. If I was you I'd spend my money elsewhere. I was about .03 faster with Hookers total but I lost 30#'s of exhaust. Just my 2 cents. Frank95z

Quick Reply: Is upgrading from shorties to Long tubes worth the $$ ?