LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:23 PM

turns over but wont start

i know i post on here ever but i'm getting pretty desperate. heres the deal, i have a 97 trans am LT1 M6, the engine turns over, wants to start, starts to fire, but will not start. its not the PCM i already replaced that, my car is reading no codes, i am getting sparked i check some of the plugs by holding the plugs with the wire on it 2mm away from the block and cranking it, all the plugs fired consistantly. i check the fuel pressure at the shaver (sp?) valve on the fuel rails, i'm running around 44 psi. this is what happend, i was coming up to a red light doing about 5ish mph and gave it was little rev, it cut out at 3k went down to idle bobbed between 500rpm and 1500rpm then died, i could get it started again for about 4 seconds but would bob and die. then it wouldn't start again. so far i've heard to check the ignition relay wich i cant even find on my car, there isn't one in the black fuse box on the driver side i dont know if the ignition relay is hidden or not, i've heard it could be a stretched timing chain, i've heard it could be the camshaft or crankshaft possition sensor done bad. does any one here have any idea what it may be and how to fix it.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 PM

Re: turns over but wont start

check fuses.. happend to me and was some fuse i forgot which by the dash
Old 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM

i've check every single fuse there is and doubled checked every fuse that has to deal with the ignition or PCM
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 PM

I had a similiar problem and it was the ignition module. It would start, run for a few seconds and stall out.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:23 PM

Engine requires a strong spark; jumping a 2 mm gap doesn't prove the coil is good. A strong spark can jump 3/4" gap. I found this out the hard way when my friend's TA wouldn't start and it turned out to be a waek coil.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:32 PM

Check the IAC. Unplug the brake booster vacuum line and see if the car starts. I just had this problem no more than 2 hours ago.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:00 AM

My friends Formula wouldn't get any spark and it turns out the ignition fuse slot was worn out and wasn't making a connection. You might have a slot where the pieces of metal aren't making a good connection. Not sure if this will help or not, but I figured I would chime in.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:13 AM

You have fuel pressure but do you smell fuel? The injectors still have to open reguardless of fuel pressure so you might look into that. Things like VATS which is the factory antitheft system I believe triggers the fuel injectors... is the security light illuminated on the dash?

Spray carb cleaner in the throttlebody while the motor cranks and see if that will get it to fire. Then youll know the injectors arent functioning for whatever reason... bad fuse, VATS, Optispark.. probably others I cant think of.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 98camaro231
i know i post on here ever but i'm getting pretty desperate. heres the deal, i have a 97 trans am LT1 M6, the engine turns over, wants to start, starts to fire, but will not start. its not the PCM i already replaced that, my car is reading no codes, i am getting sparked i check some of the plugs by holding the plugs with the wire on it 2mm away from the block and cranking it, all the plugs fired consistantly. i check the fuel pressure at the shaver (sp?) valve on the fuel rails, i'm running around 44 psi. this is what happend, i was coming up to a red light doing about 5ish mph and gave it was little rev, it cut out at 3k went down to idle bobbed between 500rpm and 1500rpm then died, i could get it started again for about 4 seconds but would bob and die. then it wouldn't start again. so far i've heard to check the ignition relay wich i cant even find on my car, there isn't one in the black fuse box on the driver side i dont know if the ignition relay is hidden or not, i've heard it could be a stretched timing chain, i've heard it could be the camshaft or crankshaft possition sensor done bad. does any one here have any idea what it may be and how to fix it.
Ever find out what was wrong with your car?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:31 PM

Opti-crap
Old 12-30-2005, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 98camaro231

What did you do to your car before this started to happen... sounds to me like the motor is not grounded/has a bad ground. There is a ground wire that comes off the block and grounds to the frame, if this wire is not grounded it will cause what you are describing.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:58 AM

Squirt some fuel in the intake while someone cranks it over.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:01 PM

I am facing similar thing but let me add this ..
The engine starts for a maximum of 2 seconds and dies .. the only way to keep it runing is to keep pumping on the gas paddle and as soon as I take of my foot off the paddle the engine dies. I am suspecting the Fuel Pump !

If my case is different than 98Camaro231 then I would appreciate your help please.

My Car is 97 SS A4
Old 12-31-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Abdulrahman
I am facing similar thing but let me add this ..
The engine starts for a maximum of 2 seconds and dies .. the only way to keep it runing is to keep pumping on the gas paddle and as soon as I take of my foot off the paddle the engine dies. I am suspecting the Fuel Pump !

If my case is different than 98Camaro231 then I would appreciate your help please.

My Car is 97 SS A4
This sounds like you are getting too much UNMETERED air in to the car. Check your intake elbow for tears/rips.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:40 AM

Sorry, I didnt mention that I have a powedyne Supercharger .. as I was trying to eliminate this factor out of fear since it will be a major job to alter with the Supercharger :/ However, I have inspected all possible leak and found nothing obvious. Beside, I beleive the Blower is working fine as I am getting a normal reading out of the PSI Gage when I rev the engine (pump the gas paddle as I previously mentioned)

I think it is best to post my problem in a new thread and would be gratfull if you guys can look into it. I will put some more findings.

Thanks