LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

True Dual Exaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 03:48 PM

True Dual Exaust

I HAVE HEARD OF A LOT OF GUYS RUNNING X PIPES AND DUALS

WHO IS MAKING THIS STUFF, PROS AND CONS, AND WHERE CAN I GET IT
Old 01-04-2004, 04:12 PM

true duals are custom made, you can buy the kit but it is $600.
ground clearance suffers, almost impossible on a lowered car.
you can pass emissions
awesome sound, but LOUD
most are dumped before the rear axle. very hard to run the pipes over the axle.
you need longtubes to make things easier.
much cheaper than doing y pipe/catback, my true dual stuff was only $200 (less than the cost of a ypipe for longtubes)

jesse
Old 01-04-2004, 05:00 PM

Like he said, true duals are hard to put on F-Bodies depending on what muffler you use. Even if the car isn't lowered at all, it could still possibly be a problem. Personally, I think it is too much of a hassle to put true dual Flowmasters or any other simliar muffler on an F-Body. If you use dual Dynomax Bullets or Spintech mufflers, you can do it a lot easier. My friend put true dual Flowmasters on his 98 Z28 with an H pipe. The shop had to actually hit the floor of his car up to make them fit. Now I wouldn't want that done to my car. I had a good exhaust shop custom make me a 2.5" x pipe to fit right under my passenger seat. It then goes into 3" pipe into 3" Bullets w/ turndowns. Very loud, shaky, and interior resonance is very high. Most people don't like it, but there are always a few such as me who love this. My entire true dual setup cost me $330. My Bullets were $80 and the labor/xpipe/piping was $250. Bottom line, true duals can be done the easy way or the hard way, depending on which muffler you choose. Make sure you do research on muffler sounds and pro's con's to each muffler to make sure you get what you want.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:33 PM

but who sells this kit + any options that offer decent ground clearence, my car is not lowered or a daily driver
Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM

www.laneswheels.com send them an email telling them what ou want, they quoted my $600 + shipping for a complete "bolt-on" kit
that included dr. gas xpipe. and it dumped at the rear wheels before the axle.....
i decided against this because you can buy the stuff from summit for around $200. then have it welded up nicely.

jesse
Old 01-05-2004, 03:55 PM

thank you guys for replying to my question
Old 01-05-2004, 09:00 PM

i have lanes X-pipe and i love it. About the clearance, you still dont want to hit any of the normal bad spots on the road you would stock. clearance really isnt that bad.

yes they are loud and sound alot better than a flowmaster any day. Plus its a different sound, more aggressive, plus if you are going down the highway it isnt near as loud, but when you drop it, its loud.

but i got the without cat set up.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:03 PM

The price depends a lot on where your muffler shop is located. Down in Houston it cost a buddy of mine $300 to have a custom Y pipe made where it only cost me $80 to have a 3" Y pipe made and installed after my TPiS LT install in Waco...
Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM

I'm looking into true duals, and am not sure whether to order this "bolt-on" kit or go through summit and stuff, I have a couple questions. I'm a mechanic so i have access to welders, lifts, the whole shop, that can obviously save me money right? and when you guys say loud, how loud? i like loud but i dont want the cops hounding on me, i live in a small town and they already know me hehe so i dont need to give them more reason to hassle me. and would this summit x-pipe setup i noticed a couple of you use, would that easily adapt to edelbrock shorty headers? or would it be better to go to LT's, im guessing LT's would be easier and work nicer but I want all my questions answered before i do this. oh and is it possible to do in a day in a full shop? Thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 07:20 AM

i dont have the summit X pipe, but i think you should go with LT's, i had MAC shortys and they were the bolt on ones, and i hated them. they always leaked, of course since you have a welder and such it wont be that bad. but i had mine built in a few hours.

Loud, all i have is 2 12 inch mufflers and mines quiet until i put the pedal down.