LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Troubleshooting... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 05:08 PM

Troubleshooting... HELP!

I just got my motor back together and I'm having a few problems with it. Could you guys please help me troubleshoot?

1. The car is tuned to idle at ~950rpm's. Lately it has started idling at about 500. It will then make a single "knock" noise, like somebody knocking on a desk, and it will die. When I go to start it back up, it just cranks over and over and over unless I floor the gas pedal, at which point it starts right up.

2. I was driving down the road yesterday and white smoke started billowing out of my e-brake handle slot. It smelled just like graham crackers. My coolant is low and I have tranny fluid leaking all over the place. The smoke seemed to be coming from the back of the block. I checked the head-coolant lines and they seemed fine.

3. At about 55-60mph my car starts bucking like a wild bronco. Is this a tuning problem, or could it be related to something else?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Re: Troubleshooting... HELP!

The stumbling kind of seems like a bad MAF or a leak in the intake elbow, does that sound right? What else would cause that?

If I could imagine what burning tranny fluid would smell like, I think this smell would be it. I went through and tightened all of my tranny lines, there was fluid leaking everywhere.

I still have no clue on the 60mph thing.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Administrator

One possible explanation.....

Almost sounds like its flooding with fuel so bad that it won't run. The "knock" might even be the fuel building up enough in one cylinder to hydrolock. That might also explain burning coolant, if you managed to blow a head gasket. When you put the throttle on the floor, it puts the PCM in "clear flood" mode, and shuts down (or minimizes flow from) the injectors, allowing the cylinders to clear out the excess fuel.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:03 PM

I though it could be the clear flood mode too, but it starts when I give it any gas at all!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:47 PM

if u had white smoking coming from near the tranny, id assume you got a leak inside the tranny no ? i mean isnt the tranny cooled via the radiator on the lt1 too? Im not dead on the stock lt1 cuz i have my lt1 in a thirdgen so i dont have EVERYTHING the way you guys do :P
Old 11-20-2004, 09:03 PM

I think I solved the smoke problem - I hope. There was tranny fluid everywhere.

As far as the car running funny, My L o2 is reading 0.0-0.2 and the R o2 is reading 0.5-0.8... Is this a problem?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Euclid
As far as the car running funny, My L o2 is reading 0.0-0.2 and the R o2 is reading 0.5-0.8... Is this a problem?
Most likely. Under what conditions do they show those readings?
Old 11-21-2004, 11:13 AM

Idling in a parking garage. 72* outside.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:11 PM

Low coolant and white smoke go hand in hand with a blown head gasket but... and this is a big but... the white smoke comes out of the tail pipes...

My tranny does have a line that connects to the radiator.... I dont really know how the Tranny fluid is routed inside the radiator but I have a hunch.... if the tranny fluid lines come in contact with the engine coolant there is a posibility that pressurized engine coolant may sip into a rusted Tranny coolant line. That doesnt explain your split BLMs to me though...

Could there be a double issue happening with your car at the same time?

good luck and post any progress

Marvin
Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 PM

A second thought... If presurised Coolant is force fed into your tranny... where does the steam come out of?? Have you check your Tranny fluid color yet? how about your engine oil color too??

I hate to say it but if any coolant scaped via your tranny.... you may have also blown a head gasket from low coolant... I heard coolant will Kill oxygen sensors. a blown head gasket may have killed your O2s and thrown your readings way off. I really dont mean to scare you but sounds pretty serious to me.

Keep us posted

Marvin
Old 11-21-2004, 03:35 PM

just so everyone knows, a leaking in-rad trans cooler will mainly leak trans fluid into the coolant

max 16-18psi cooland, trans psi 50-150psi(approx.)
Old 11-21-2004, 04:19 PM

My trans fluid problem is fixed, I believe. One of my lines was leaking pretty significantly where it screws into the radiator.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:20 PM

Also, if it helps any, I'm reading 13.6 volts and my interior/exterior lights are surging like a strobe light.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:21 PM

Its the Tranny fluid passing via the Radiator pressurised that much?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Euclid
Also, if it helps any, I'm reading 13.6 volts and my interior/exterior lights are surging like a strobe light.

Your car is possessed!!