LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Top end rebuild... Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:00 PM

Top end rebuild... Need some help.

Well, it looks as though head gaskets are in my future. The car has 163,000 miles on it so I want to freshen up the top end. I plan to plain the heads, new valves, new springs, new lifters, pushrods and rockers. I am not going for over agressive. Just a mostly stock minor upgrade rebuild, but I do not want to put stock parts back in. What are good replacements for valves and springs? I want to upgrade my rockers, but not to 1.6's.

My next question is. Can the exhaust manifolds be lifted out with the heads. If I unbolt the flanges (flangi ) can I just lift them out and vice versus?

Next, how do I prevent the block from rusting while I rebuild the heads? The block will be in the car.

I'm not too worried about this rebuild, since I'm not in dire need of the car. I just want to take it slow. I have never done it to an LT1, but what else should I replace while in there? It has a new opti and water pump.

Now this is taking it to the extreme level. But if I unbolt the tranny and motor mounts, how much more is required to remove the block? I don't really need the car, so I may go for an entire rebuild, who knows?!? Thanks for all of your help everyone. Without this site, I don't think that I would even attempt to do this myself. Thank you....
Old 08-27-2003, 11:55 PM

I would also appreciate it if someone can possibly make a list of what I need to rebuild the heads. This will be my first time and I want to order all the parts in advance. Thanks people..
Old 08-29-2003, 12:45 PM

Anyone, have any ideas?
Old 08-29-2003, 01:00 PM

I highly doubt you'll be able to take the heads off with the manifolds attached. Not enough room in there. They'll have to come off anyway to be milled.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:14 PM
On permanent vacation

Stuff you will need:

Just get a full gasket set, the only ones you wont be using will be EGR, AIR and throttle body. This assuming you are swapping cams?

My suggested parts list:
Comp R lifters
Combination motorsports valvesprings (ket) and pushrods, head bolts, and rocker studs. Get new valve seals too.
Comp Pro magnum 1.6 rockers

Its going to cos you about $100 to get the heads decked, $50 hot tanked,and another $300 for a valve job and new valves. If you know what you are doing and aren't super performance oriented, just port them yourself. Or for about an extra $400 (roughly) just get a set of heads that are complete( valves, valve springs, locks, retainers, rocker studs, decked, hot tanked, valvejob). Good way to make some more power. Again, combination motorsports stage II heads are a pretty good deal IMHO.

You DONT need any rediculious LT4 HD timing chain. a stock one is more than sufficient. If you really have a hard on for a timing chain, get an electric waterpump and combos timing chain. its really cheap.

Cam?

Comp Cams 224/230 with .560"/598" (1.6 rockers)

Or to be more tame, the 218/224 sounds killer with high lift should make good power for an off the shelf cam and be very tame.

get a new waterpump, coil, wires and plugs while you're at it