LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Took TB Off, Put N2O Plate On, Now Car Idles Bad And Has Bad Throttle Response. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:16 AM

Took TB Off, Put N2O Plate On, Now Car Idles Bad And Has Bad Throttle Response. HELP!

i put a plate set up on my car this past week. now that the TB sticks out futher than it did stock the throttle acts weird. when i first put the plate on i noticed that the bottom cable (which im told is for the cruise) was not letting the throttle come all the way back. id fire the car up and i would shoot strait to 4k+. so, i disconnected the line for the cruise and heres what happening now...

it comes back down to an idle, BUT it idles funny. REALLY low idle. its cut off on me a few time since and has NO response off the line, or from a dead stop. i noticed theres a screw on the TB that the linkage comes back to a stop on. any way to adjust that to bring the idle up some?? also, VERY IMPORTANT, the throttle stuck WOT twice this weekend at the track. had to throw it in neutral and kill the car!! scared the **** out of me what in the blue blazes could be causeing that??

NOTE: i wasnt having ANY problems with the throttle/linkage before i put this plate on.

PLEASE HELP!

TIA, jon
Old 04-14-2003, 11:13 AM

please, someone...

jon
Old 04-14-2003, 11:26 AM

You did not mention what brand plate you bought. Check to see if it has a provision for the IAC valve(1/4 whole between and below the throttle body plate holes). If it doesn't this will account for your low idle. You will have to drill a whole yourself.

As far as the cruise control cable is concerned, look at where it mounts. The mount bracket is adjustable, take a good look at it, you should be able to figure it out.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by sweetassz
You did not mention what brand plate you bought. Check to see if it has a provision for the IAC valve(1/4 whole between and below the throttle body plate holes). If it doesn't this will account for your low idle. You will have to drill a whole yourself.

As far as the cruise control cable is concerned, look at where it mounts. The mount bracket is adjustable, take a good look at it, you should be able to figure it out.

THANK YOU for a reply!

i bought a Compu Car plate. what are these 1/4 holes on the plate?? only ting on the plate are the nitrous and fuel fittings. whats the IAC valve? excuse the ignorance... please try and be a litle more descriptive

the shop that i bought the plate from called Compu Car this morning about the cruise cable. he said that there is some "button" or something that you can use to pull out a little extra slack. i just walked out to my car and dont see anything resemling a "button". i looked at for a good few minutes and dont have a clue. how do you adjust the cable?

THANX!

jon
Old 04-14-2003, 01:19 PM

These are the pictures that Shoebox showed me on a thread when I asked.

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/iac3.jpg
Old 04-14-2003, 01:49 PM

ok, i know what that is. now, im guessing the 1/4in hole that SWEETASSZ was talking about is that black vertical hole thats centered in the middle between the two TB bolt holes, and below the butterflies.

what did that do before? what does SWEETASSZ mean when he says "provisions" for the IAC hole?? was there a hose supposed to be connected to that hole?? where would i drill?? am i drilling another hole in the TB, or in the plate?

thanks for all the help!!!!

jon
Old 04-14-2003, 06:26 PM

Make sure that the elbow is on on the bottom of the TB. They have a tendency to catch the lip of the TB and not seat properly which would cause unmetered air to enter the engine.

-Tony
Old 04-15-2003, 12:22 AM

The whole is about a 1/4 inch in diameter(typo, my fault). IAC=idle air control valve. this is what allows your car to maintain a proper idle. Putting a plate between the TB and intake will block off the extra air the IAC is allowing to pass into the intake manifold. Look at your intake manifold, you will see the two TB holes and one smaller triangular hole below the other two.

As for the CC cable, remove it from the mounting bracket. The piece that mounts onto the bracket is adjustable. you have to pull it apart, adjust the cable then snap it back together.

Originally posted by COMNBYU

THANK YOU for a reply!

i bought a Compu Car plate. what are these 1/4 holes on the plate?? only ting on the plate are the nitrous and fuel fittings. whats the IAC valve? excuse the ignorance... please try and be a litle more descriptive

the shop that i bought the plate from called Compu Car this morning about the cruise cable. he said that there is some "button" or something that you can use to pull out a little extra slack. i just walked out to my car and dont see anything resemling a "button". i looked at for a good few minutes and dont have a clue. how do you adjust the cable?

THANX!

jon