LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Took my new 383 for a spin, mod list inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:19 PM

Talking Took my new 383 for a spin, mod list inside

After some seven months, my Formula is finally done. I fired it up yesterday for the first time and now just came back from a 75 mile cruise. All in all this $10K project was a success. The car feels real good and drives even better. Very strong when I give it some gas, but I tried to stay under 3K, and maybe one time to 4K. I will list my mods at the end.

Problem The 58mm Holley TB I installed is acting up. Idle speed is very high, usually between 1350 and 1800, and no matter what I do I can't lower it. The tuned file I uploaded (pcmforless.com) using LT1_Edit shows that idle should be around 875 - 1075 depending on the temp. I backed off the screw all the way on the TB itself, but still the RPM never goes below 1350.

About 10 miles into the test drive while on the highway at 60MPH, I notice the SES light come on. I pull over and shut her off; then back on; and the SES light doesn't come on until about 5-10 minutes of driving -- I think it has to do with the IAC or something else to do with the Holley.

I'm going to swap the Holley for my stock unit and see if that resolves the problem; then I know it's the new TB. If idle is still too high, then it must be the IAC sensor, which I will replace.

BTW, at idle speed the intake hisses very noticably. A friend of mine says I need to drill and enlarge the hole that idle air is sucked through to fix it. Does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry about the book I wrote, I hope someone can help me out.

As promised, here are my mods. Any ideas on how much HP I'm putting down onto the pavement?

• forged Eagle 3.75" stroke crank
• forged Eagle ESP 6" rods w/ L19 bolts
• forged JE/SRP pistons, -16cc dish, SRP ring set
• Clevite 77-H main, rod, and cam bearings
• block overbore and hone 4.030"
• Comp Cams 306 camshaft
• Lloyd Elliott ported heads:
136/104 @ .200
192/147 @ .300
241/171 @ .400
266/184 @ .500
270/192 @ .600
• Ferrea 6000 2.00/1.56 valves
• Comp Cams "R" hydraulic lifters
• Comp Cams chromoly pushrods
• Comp Cams stainless steel 1.6 Pro magnum roller rockers
• Canton 242-T race oil pan
• Mellings oil pump (standard volume & pressure)
• LT4 extreme duty timing chain set
• Holley 58mm throttle body
• 200 amp alternator
• LT4 starter
• Walbro/Racetronix fuel pump w/ wiring harness
• Meziere electric water pump.
• SLP 1 3/4" headers
• Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back
• Spec clutch stage 2 (will be stage 3 once it dies)
• Fidanza alminum flywheel (11.5 lbs.)
• K&N cold air intake (CAI) and filter
• Jegs 3.73 gears.
• 6000k H4 Xenon HID headlights (I highly recommend)

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:41 PM

Re: Took my new 383 for a spin, mod list inside

man that setup sounds like fun! did you just have a stock alternator rebuilt for 200 amps or what? Ive been wanting a 200 amp alternator for awhile now.

by the looks of the flow #'s, those look like LE2 heads. am i wrong? if they are LE2 heads, why didnt you go with the matching cam?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 PM

Sounds like a nice set-up.
I think the TB mod you're talking about was with the early BBK TBs only. I'm not aware of the Holleys having that problem. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by dmoor88
man that setup sounds like fun! did you just have a stock alternator rebuilt for 200 amps or what? Ive been wanting a 200 amp alternator for awhile now.
I got from www.mralternator.com and yes, I think it's a rebuild, but it looks brand spanking new. It's exactly the same one in dimensions except the pully is smaller so it can spin faster and generate more electricity. I had to get a smaller belt because the stock one was waaay to loose.

by the looks of the flow #'s, those look like LE2 heads. am i wrong? if they are LE2 heads, why didnt you go with the matching cam?
Not sure if they are LE2, but I originally wanted a Hotcam to pass emissions and reduce lope; needless to say I changed my mind By the time I told Lloyd, he had already shipped my heads and told me a cc306 would fit nicely with my setup -- and it has, bot too much lope at all.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by sleepy_z28
Sounds like a nice set-up.
I think the TB mod you're talking about was with the early BBK TBs only. I'm not aware of the Holleys having that problem. Good luck and have fun.
Actually, after searching around I found that these Holleys are notorious for idle problems "out of the box." I need to check the TPS voltage and probably drill and enlarge the hole. Not a big deal, but if anyone knows more info on this I would highly appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:05 PM

Man that is so close to mine it is scary. I have a 383 (scat 4340 3.75 storke with Scat 4340 6'' H beams, SRP, 16cc dish pistons,CC306, LT4 Ported intake, FMS 36# injectors, Holley 58mm, Fidanza alum FW, Spec Stage three cryptonite clutch, Meziere HD WP, Stailess LT headers, Magnaflow cat back and AFR 195 heads. About the biggest difernce I see is the heads other then that they are real close. I made 414RWHP/412 RWTQ with a miss and a bad exhaust leak. On the TB as stated smoothing out the IAC was a fix for the BBK (been there done that) but the my holley is quiet as can be. did you reset the IAC? When you get the chance get it dyno tuned I picked up 31 HP.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM

Bad *** post a video of it
Old 12-12-2004, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ejfagala
Man that is so close to mine it is scary. I have a 383 (scat 4340 3.75 storke with Scat 4340 6'' H beams, SRP, 16cc dish pistons,CC306, LT4 Ported intake, FMS 36# injectors, Holley 58mm, Fidanza alum FW, Spec Stage three cryptonite clutch, Meziere HD WP, Stailess LT headers, Magnaflow cat back and AFR 195 heads. About the biggest difernce I see is the heads other then that they are real close. I made 414RWHP/412 RWTQ with a miss and a bad exhaust leak. On the TB as stated smoothing out the IAC was a fix for the BBK (been there done that) but the my holley is quiet as can be. did you reset the IAC? When you get the chance get it dyno tuned I picked up 31 HP.
Wow holy crap you're practically driving my car! Hmmm... 414RWHP sounds good to me! I plan to dyno soon. How do I reset the IAC? I have no clue.

Does your Fidanza chatter at low RPMs in 1st and in reverse? Mine does, but I learned to give it just the right amount of gas to avoid it.

One other thing I failed to mention is that I have 42# Lucas injectors.

Originally Posted by neil350
Bad *** post a video of it
TY! I actually took sort of a documentary of the hole project -- about 30-45 min long, it shops the early beginning to the first startup. It's shot on an analog Sony camcorder, so I need to find the CD to be able to download it to my comp (Windows XP does not see it as a camcorder).
Old 12-12-2004, 10:31 PM

Make sure you dont have a vacuume leak anywhere, they are notorious for causing the exact problem you describe.If the engine is pulling in un-metered air from somewhere the idle will be high and will not respond to mechanical adjustments at the TB.Look at the large vacuume line under the TB it often will come off while trying to install the elbow to the TB and cause the leak and a loud hiss at idle.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Black_95Formula
Wow holy crap you're practically driving my car! Hmmm... 414RWHP sounds good to me! I plan to dyno soon. How do I reset the IAC? I have no clue.
Does your Fidanza chatter at low RPMs in 1st and in reverse? Mine does, but I learned to give it just the right amount of gas to avoid it.
One other thing I failed to mention is that I have 42# Lucas injectors.

Not quite I have a 94 vette, but the motors are scary similar. Yea no one mentioned the Fidanza would try to shake all my filings loose in reverse, but yes it chatters and yes it gets better. Here is the procedure for the IAC
A. Depress accelerator pedal slightly. B. Start engine and release accelerator pedal, run engine for 5 seconds ( I have also just let it run for 5 seconds with the throttle slightly open) C. Turn ignition “OFF” for 10 seconds. D. Restart engine and check for proper idle operation.

Here is a shot of the motor
http://www.knology.net/~ejfagala/383_LT2JPG.jpg

Here it is in the car still a bit dirty it was 1am and we just got it fired.
http://www.boomspeed.com/ejfagala/Stroker_in.JPG
Old 12-13-2004, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by n20ta2
Make sure you dont have a vacuume leak anywhere, they are notorious for causing the exact problem you describe.If the engine is pulling in un-metered air from somewhere the idle will be high and will not respond to mechanical adjustments at the TB.Look at the large vacuume line under the TB it often will come off while trying to install the elbow to the TB and cause the leak and a loud hiss at idle.
I will check it out tonight after work. I think you may be right though... The hiss was kinda unusual. Would a vacuum leak cause any other problems?

ejfagala - Nice car! I bet your Vett handles like a ****! I bet you woke up your neighbors startig it at 1p LMAO. I will also try reseting the IAC.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:51 AM

All fixed! I made sure all the air hoses were tightly attached to the intake, and re-installed the TB and its TPS (adjusted a little counter-clockwise). That seemed to make my car idle normally, but not completely. Then, I checked my fuel pressure, and it was 50psi! I quickly tuned that down to ~43.5psi and she ran awesome! Idles now at 875rpm like it should, no more problems except an exhaust leak! Damn AutoZone cheapo header gaskets!!! LMAO, placing an order for some SLP gaskets... Thanks everyone, I will try to post a video soon.