LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are there any bad gas stations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 05:49 PM

Are there any bad gas stations?

All the gas stations I go to I make sure its 93 octane...but is there certain gas stations that have worse gas than others? I know ive heard some..just cant remember. Is Citgo or Chevron good?
Old 06-02-2003, 06:31 PM

You might get a better response in the Lounge.... But for the most part, gas is gas is gas... Companies do have different detergents and formulas, but they are mmostly the same.... I have seen 92 octane at some stations... But the thing to worry about is the Station you go to. Sometimes water gets into their tanks, and if the tanks are low, the water can get into your cars tank... The stationed Icworked at always had about an inch of water, untill the tanks were replaced....
Old 06-02-2003, 06:54 PM

Good and Bad gas, gets filed right next to the octane wars that used to on in the 6cyl forum, over wheather or not a higher octane is any better for this that or the other thing. Gas is gas as far as I'm concerned. Some people develope a hatred for a certain type of gas cause it caused problems in their car, probably after they got gas while the station was having its tanks filled, or something along that nature.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:52 PM

I actually read a thing in some mustang mag. I guess some university did a study and It was proven that it did not make any difference what gas station you go to to get your gas.
The main difference was obviously noted that there are different octane levels such as 85, 91 and 93.
Well, if you get 91 at Shell, Chevron, Unocal, 76 or even Rotton Robbies. It really doesnt make a difference but keep in mind that each station has different ingredient that may help the emitions, gas mileage and burn a bit faster. Just look out for those gas stations that have been around for years, hella old and looks questionable. New stations = new tanks/no leaks/no moisture and mildue. Old stations = old tanks/leaks/moisture and mildue. You dont wanna have to have you fuel injection jetted out. Thast alot of dough.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:58 PM

does anyone know of a forum of somesort on gasoline? i know of a popular one discussing oil ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ ) but have yet to find one on gas. thanks for any help.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:52 PM

i personally only use chevron or texaco for my cars. at work we only put chevron in the vettes. i like it for its detergents besides it right there on the way. ive yet to have any bad problems with gas, but i still wont use BP or amaco. Trey
Old 06-03-2003, 10:29 AM

I think Chevron is the best, but then again what the hell do I know.
I should ask my car...."does it taste good baby".
Anyhow, I have always use Chevron and I get the best results. I have never had a problem with sudden acceleration or anything like that. Plus it has a conveinent store inside, has beer and the water & air service is free.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:23 PM

As has been said, basically gas is gas.
Most of the old "bad gas" horror stories came from when the stations still had steel tanks. Some of these tanks had been in the ground for 30 or 40 years. This lead to tanks that were rusted or had holes in them. That allowed gas to leak into the ground and water and debris to get into the tanks. If you filled up while the truck was refilling the under ground tanks you often got bad gas because the truck was stirring up all the crud from the bottom. This was almost always at some rural Mom & Pop place there the turn over wasn't very high. In urban area's the turn over rate was high enough that the tanks were "flush out" and crud didn't accumulate.
Since the EPA now requires all stations have the "new" fiber glass tanks, this problem has been all but eliminated.

One caution: Major brands usually have their gas delivered from their own distributors and therefore are able to more tightly control the octane that you actually pump into your car. Many Mom & Pop places buy, on the market, or from "fly by night" truckers. Many time this gas does not meet the posted octane levels.