LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Super budget exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:35 PM

Super budget exhaust.

My exhaust sucks. Pacesetters with pacesetter y-pipe and stock I-pipe with flowmaster muffler. The collector clamps leak, the y-pipe clamp leaks, the I-pipe clamp leaks, and I eliminated the egr (which was making the car almost stall out). Which created another leak due to the impossibility of a block-off plate working.

Basically what I want to have done is

1) Have the egr "tube" cut off of the one header and the resulting hole welded shut.
2) Get the two-piece y-pipe welded together
3) Ball flanges installed on the headers/y-pipe
4) Ball flange installed on the end of the y-pipe and muffler
5) Bullet or other very small muffler, dumped before the right rear tire.

Will this work, or will it sound like crap and not be worth the trouble? Any advice is appreciated.

If I can't find someone to cut/weld the one header, I will be forced to buy new non-emissions headers or find another way to block it up. Tap it for a bolt maybe?

The exhaust leaks are very bad right now, and they make the car run like crap. It runs so crappy that I disconnected the o2 sensors and that actually made it run better. 13-14 mpg is killing my wallet, though.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Re: Super budget exhaust.

Here is what I would do. Get a good block off plate. EBAY set is 22$ and come with gaskets. It comes with the one to block off the header. Flange the exhaust at the y pipe and the intermediate pipe. Buy a 4' piece of 3" from Jeg's or Summit for like 20$ and a 30$ bullet. Bang.... instant good sounding exhaust. All for less than 150$ if you're on a budget.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Re: Super budget exhaust.

The problem with the block off plate is that there is only one bolt holding it on. It works well with the tube fitting, but it is totally inefficient at holding a plate on there. The block off plate that I made looks like it will work perfectly, but the single bolt just doesnt put enough pressure to hold down both sides of the plate.

Which bullet would you suggest? And is it worth it to run an elbow and put the exhaust out the side, or should I just let it dump underneath the car?