LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Suggestions Needed Badly

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:36 AM

Suggestions Needed Badly

Ok here's my situation. I've got a set of LT pace setters coming this weekend and that's it. I want to set something up but I don't know what to do. My stock exhause has had it completely. cat's dead, muffler is blown, and I don't know what to do. I don't have the Y pipe for my LT's because I can't decide on what to do. Please help me out with this guys, I want something different than stock, good performance wise, but pocket book friendly. I'm looking for that deep sound that will get girls to shiver and guys drool.. oh, these are for the car in my sig BTW. Anything at all will be appreciated. And sorry for the long windedness.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:52 AM

Re: Suggestions Needed Badly

If the car is not lowered, run a summit x pipe kit and a couple mufflers with turndowns after.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 AM

if no one offers a ready made y-pipe, you're going to have to get one made. try a local speed shop(high price), a non performance/all-around exhaust shop(they still normally mandrel bend pipes and have good craftsmanship, and most of their techs are probably hotrodders so they will take care of you), or any meineke that has a VERY experienced lead tech that can do custom work.
the big thing to remember is to not get caught up on the shop that does the work, but the individual tech. you might be surprised where you may find a good exhaust guy, just look and talk to people around your town. i'm sure someone knows someone competent
Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 AM

If you go true dual, be ready to sacrifice clearance; without a doubt the best sounding though. I'd personally go with pacesetter y-pipe for the following reasons ONLY: cost, better clearance, no dramatic hp loss over true duals, keep exhaust exiting out of rear of car (this may be a good thing because with a muffler in place, your car wont be extremely loud stock if you're trying to fool emissions). For sound then, I added just one cutout at the axle.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:44 AM

No, I don't think I'ld ever lower one of these cars, IMO they sit damn low as it is. The sumit x pipe kit i'ld been looking at, but again, I'm damn hard up for ideas cause I don't know what sounds like what, and I wanna make sure I get it right the first time. And for references, I've been all over ls1sounds.com, just made things worse for me...lol.. But thanks for the suggestions guys, and please keep them coming.. Oh, and I'm thinking of a cam kit soon. so, anything that will sound nice over into that... maybe something nice and lopey..
Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 AM

here's a ttt for all the guys getting to work this god for saken early..lol
Old 05-05-2005, 08:38 AM

I would go w/ a custom y-pipe instead of buying the pacesetter it would save you some cash and probably fit better.

If your thinking of going the true duals route w/ that built motor you NEED to take it out the back. The exhaust note is going to get very old very fast, but taking it out the back really helps. Downside is the extra cost b/c it all has to be custom done with an experianced exhaust guy.

Do you have a aftermarket cam in there?
-b

Last edited by bdc95ta; 05-05-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 AM

Poor man's sport exhaaust---
You say your cat is shot, cut all your garbage off at the head of the cat. Punch your cat out the rest of the way (all that ceramic honeycomb shi*). Then take some of that pipe you have left over and attach it to a 20$ Cherry bomb and make a turndown right before the axle. It'll work. Loud as crap and illegal, just find a lickinstick inspection and you'll be good for a year or until the cops pull you over for noise ordinance disruption (breaking more than 145 decibles at a 100ft).
Old 05-05-2005, 05:11 PM

naw, I'm trying to do something descent, thinking about x=pipe out in front of the wheels.. don't know what mufflers to go with if i go x pipe.. maybe 40 series flowmasters.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 PM

From what you describe budget and needs wise duals sound like your thing.

-Dustin-
Old 05-06-2005, 04:53 PM

from the way I've got it pegged right now.. cat back is about 270 - 310 shipped, and then a y pipe is 120 shipped. so I've got all that to look at, then I've got the x-pipe which is like 105 shipped, and then 2 40 series flowmasters comes to about 160 shipped. so i could do true duals for the price of a cat back. my main concern is how it will sound, because i don't want something all raspy. and i don't want something that is too loud. it's starting to not be all about the money. lol.