LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stumbling, Spittering, Backfiring...(Delteq)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:04 PM

Stumbling, Spittering, Backfiring...(Delteq)

I decided to make a new post because I keep updating the problem that I am having with my car. This is the main problem that I am having...

When the car sits for several hours at a time and the engine gets bone cold the car runs like complete junk. It spitters and sputters like crazy until it warms up. I go outside every morning to warm it up before I go anywhere so it will be driveable and I just discovered that it has been backfiring while warming up in park in the parking lot. I can get the car to run a whole lot better when I get it up 2k RPM. Once the car finally gets to regular operating temp then it runs almost perfect and doesn't miss enough for me to even be able to tell.

All of this happened the HOUR after the Delteq install on the car. I have checked all the coils, wiring harnesses, and even replaced the opti-box part of the system. Still nothing has had any effect on the way it runs when it is cold.

This is all on the car that is listed in my sig.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 PM

Re: Stumbling, Spittering, Backfiring...(Delteq)

When I started up the car it sounded like my car had a huge cam in it. It kept on loping really really bad. I then put it into gear and it surged down and came back up. I tried driving to class the way it was and when i was slowly accelerating it caused everything to shake and the car was just stumbling like crazy. Then 20 seconds later it would clear up for a second or two and then go back to running like crap. I believe the only time it would clear up was when it got over 2k RPMs.

The car is not throwing any codes at all. I have checked to make sure all the plug wires are good and right. I also had brand new plugs put in under 30 miles ago. They were the exact same plug that was in the car before. The car ran perfectly before the Delteq was installed.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM

Sounds like you need to call Delteq....
Old 12-06-2004, 12:55 PM

I've been on the phone with them several times. They sent me a new opti-box to try out and it still didnt fix the problem. I also tried pulling different sensors and checking my scanmaster. Nothing seemed to be the problem. It is a big mystery to me.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM

TPS sensor.... 18 dollars at autozone... Probably is bad, and the different electronics messed it up. Try that on for size

Tim
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM

The TPS sensor has normal readings on my scanmaster.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 93redbird
TPS sensor.... 18 dollars at autozone... Probably is bad, and the different electronics messed it up. Try that on for size

Tim

Do you really think the TPS sensor could cause it to run like it has a huge cam in it AND make it backfire when it is idling to warm up?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:26 PM

Since Delteq sent you a new Delteq-box, my guess is the problem is either the Nothstar coil system or your Opti-Spark's optical section.

I can see where the Delteq might be more sensitive to occasional optical signal noise or problems than the original high voltage section of the Opti-Spark. The reason: the cap and rotor design can't become confused as to which cylinder is firing -- it is mechanically coupled to the camshaft.
However, the Delteq has to electronically compute, from the Opti-Spark optical signals, the correct cylinder to fire. As the saying goes: garbage in...garbage out.

So, my guesses, in the order of most probable to least probable:
1) Opti-Spark optical section -- it might have run better without the Delteq with intermittent problems with the optical section.
2) Poor connection in wiring.
2) Northstar coil pak.

The Delteq is not designed to fix problems caused by the optical section of the Opti-Spark.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 12-07-2004 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:34 PM

My question is why has it run perfectly right up until the installation of the Delteq? My opti has operated flawlessly for all this time and the hour after the Delteq install my car runs like crap? It might very well be in the coilpack system though. I just don't understand why it runs terrible when the motor is COLD and good when it is warmed up.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ElectronBlueC3
My question is why has it run perfectly right up until the installation of the Delteq? My opti has operated flawlessly for all this time and the hour after the Delteq install my car runs like crap? It might very well be in the coilpack system though. I just don't understand why it runs terrible when the motor is COLD and good when it is warmed up.
I actually explained that in the post above.

The Delteq takes the high-voltage out of the Opti-Spark, but it also relies "MORE" on the optical section of the Opti-Spark. So, if the optical section has problems, even if those problems are intermittent, the Delteq can become confused and run WORSE than the orginal cap and rotor design.

I'm still betting on your Opti-Spark as the problem.

Think of it this way:
Your original system relied on the optical section for this:
1) ignition advance
2) injector timing
With the original system, the cap and rotor determines which cylinder is supposed to fire -- NOT THE OPTICAL SECTION.

With the Delteq, your system relies on the optical section for this:
1) ignition advance
2) to determine which cylinder is supposed to fire
3) Injector timing

Notice which one has more dependency on the optical signals?

Tom Piper
Old 12-06-2004, 02:27 PM

Yes I see what you are saying. I just got off the phone with the tech at Delteq again and he said there is one other person that he has found that has my problem with his system. He just discovered this today when his partner went to go check out that car in NY. He is having almost the same exact problem as me. His won't change with the original opti setup either and his is new. Something is pulling timing in the system when the car is cold but clears up when it gets warm or goes above 2k RPM. It is going to be a big pain in the ***.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Where did you get the coils and ICM from? Delteq or did you buy them yourself?

If it is that bad, try replacing the coils. Or running off the opti/stock coil and see what the result is... you need to find out what is causing it, so some trial and error testing is in order.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:40 PM

I bought the entire kit from Delteq. I don't really have the time or place to put on the original ignition setup and take all the Delteq stuff off. This is my daily driver and I am always busy with something.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Hmm yeh I know what you mean, just making sure you didn't get some crappy coils from Joe Schmo.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:15 PM

i have a 94z28 also w/ delteq ignition. i am having the same problem but it used to be only when the car was hot but now it is all the time. pretty much exactly the opposite of urs. I am changing the optispark at the end of the week after i finish my finals.I originally went w/ delteq because my opti took a crap. I am in hope that the optical sensor is bad and it will fix my prob if not i am just going to put back the old stock setup and run until i talk to delteq and try to get some new parts. I bought coils off ebay w/ an icm but they were brand new because of this the delteq engineers just say that is the problem or something stupid. THe only problem is i have everything brand new besides optispark and have tested out coils and they are performing fine.

Quick Reply: Stumbling, Spittering, Backfiring...(Delteq)