LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stoplight terror: Please critique my setup before I order

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 AM

Re: Stoplight terror: Please critique my setup before I order

If you're gonna race on the street I would be looking more for mph than "dead hook". Get the engine rebuilt, throw a good tire on the back ( forget about skinnies on the street), and spray the crap outta it. Of course you'll want all the external bolt-ons listed. The reason why I say this is because you could spend all that money on a head/cam package and run mid to low 12's or you could build the bottom end and spray your way into the 11's. It might even be a little cheaper in the end. Besides the bottle is a lot easier to hide than a lopier cam .
Old 09-08-2005, 08:03 AM

Actually I don't know how much or what kind of racing you are planning on doing? If its always gonna be from a dig then you might want to look at getting the suspension setup first (I don't know what you currently got). Around here races are usually from a roll and therefore getting that dead hook isn't quite as important (not that I do alot of it or know many who do ). I still say rebuild the motor and spray it.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Phew, alright. Lots of very good points to address here.

Since I have so many people telling me that I'm going to nuke the motor with any aggressive setup at my mileage, point taken. Bottom end gets rebuilt first.

Wckd94Z- You're very right. I'm just hoping she holds together until I have 2 grand to drop on a moser 12 bolt.

captaindbol, cammed_aro Z28, rskrause- Something I hadn't thought about. The reason that slicks/skinnies are so appealing to me is that I can get some Tel-Stars for a LOT cheaper than I can get a nice 17 inch wheel and it's not a daily driver so I don't need handling or braking.

95firehawk- All of the racing I do is from a dig, every car I've beaten is very much due to how well my car rips out of the hole. When I had my BFG Drags on I was 60 footing right alongside my buddy's full exhaust WRX.