LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stoplight terror: Please critique my setup before I order

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Stoplight terror: Please critique my setup before I order

Since I'll be at community college this year instead of the University I was originally attending, I'm going to have lots of time and money to throw at my beloved LT1. My goal here is a car that will dead hook on the street and run mid to low 12's on the street at full weight, the track is really of no concern to me. Let me know if I'm on the right track here.

Ai Full CNC Heads/Intake Manifold Port
Comp XE 224/230 (Possible custom grind. Ai? Overton? Franker? Elliot?)
Ai Extreme Performance Hydraulic Roller Topend Kit
- Comp 875-16 Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters
- One Piece Ai pushrods
- Comp 7/16" Rocker Studs
- Comp SBC flat guideplates
- Comp Hi-Tech Stainless Rocker Arms
Lingenfelter CAI
Pacesetter Coated Longtubes / Pacesetter ORY / Magnaflow Catback
Yank Stealth 2800 Stall
Motive 3.73 Gears

Driveability is not a huge concern, but the reason I went with a smallish cam is because I'm on a 150k mile stock bottom end. The oil pressure is great, but I don't see any reason to push my luck spinning a big stick to 16,000 rpm. I know there will also be miscellaneous bolt ons I've left out (electric water pump, big throttle body) but I'll worry about those once my motor's done. How do you think this bad boy will run once it's completed?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:41 PM

Re: Stoplight terror: Please critique my setup before I order

You better add some tires to that list if you haven't already done so if you want to achieve that "dead hook" result.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:43 PM

I would say u have a pretty good starting point. U might want to think about going a little bit bigger on the stall tho. Also, with you being on a stock 150,000 mile bottom end, just make sure everything is done right and is done cleanly.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:46 PM

Miles ahead of you on that one man, just left it out. Thanks for reminding me.

26x10.5x15 ET Streets on 15x8 Tel-Stars
26x4.5x15 ET Fronts on 15x4 Tel-Stars

EDIT: ChevyTuffD.A., the reason I went smallish on the stall is so I can launch the **** out of it on the street without having to worry about blowing the tires off. Any higher and I think I'd overwhelm the street tires/street itself.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:50 PM

Looks like a nice setup to me. If you wanted to do a custom grind id go with Joe O. Im not a fan of off the shelf cams myself. Most people seem to go with the Comp Cams Pro Magnum 1.6 RR's, thats what I am going to be running in my setup. Not sure how the RR's you are running compare to them. Like you mentioned you have a 150,000 miles on that motor you better replace that timing chain/gears. Mine as well do that elec. waterpump. Cloyes Double Roller timing chains are nice. May need a LT4 Knock Module. Get the 52mm TB, 30# ford inj. when you can.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

Rebuild your short block back stock with good rings and brgs and oil pump and pan. Then go with a larger cam,get a rearend and let er rip taterchip.

KM is a waste of money,tune knock out of the computer when ya get it tuned or get the inline resistor.
Everything else looks pretty good.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 09-07-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 PM

Sounds good. Take advice on the bottom of that engine, make sure everything is in shape. If not, you're just going to blow it out.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM

After you launch the **** out of it a couple times you can also add a new rear to the list I think...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:49 PM

Sounds good. Take advice on the bottom of that engine, make sure everything is in shape. If not, you're just going to blow it out.
I agree if u got the money build up the bottom first. Unless u don't mind doing it again after something breaks.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:51 PM

hey i was looking into a supercharger, but i dont want to blow my bottom end either, how much would his setup cost excluding the air intake, the exhaust and the stall. Ive got the six speed, and im at 74,000 miles, would i need a better clutch? and would this be a better bet performance and longevity wise? Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96' TransAm LT1
hey i was looking into a supercharger, but i dont want to blow my bottom end either, how much would his setup cost excluding the air intake, the exhaust and the stall. Ive got the six speed, and im at 74,000 miles, would i need a better clutch? and would this be a better bet performance and longevity wise? Thanks
Ya would have to set the boost so low to make it dependable on a stock bottom end it wouldn't be worth it.
A100 shot of N2O is OK if ya don't rattle it.

Cost for a new Vortec basic kit is 25-2700 dollars.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 09-07-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by ReducedFat
My goal here is a car that will dead hook on the street and run mid to low 12's on the street at full weight, the track is really of no concern to me. Let me know if I'm on the right track here.
If I was street racing ( sounds like you might be into this sort of heathen thing ) I would not be looking to put a set of skinnys and slicks on my f- body. You are more than likely going to scare away any cars you have a chance at beating with your 12 second ride. Anybody who lines up no questions asked is probally going to outrun you like you are tied to something. And yes, If everything worked right that, collection of parts should put you in the twelves at the track( ON SLICKS). Not trying to burst your bubble here, just adding some food for thought.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by ReducedFat
Comp XE 224/230 (Possible custom grind. Ai? Overton? Franker? Elliot?)
Franker? Is Brent making cams now?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by captaindbol
If I was street racing ( sounds like you might be into this sort of heathen thing ) I would not be looking to put a set of skinnys and slicks on my f- body. You are more than likely going to scare away any cars you have a chance at beating with your 12 second ride. Anybody who lines up no questions asked is probally going to outrun you like you are tied to something. And yes, If everything worked right that, collection of parts should put you in the twelves at the track( ON SLICKS). Not trying to burst your bubble here, just adding some food for thought.
i agree with this guy, rice boys wont 'f' with you if you have slicks on the back, the only people that will more than likely will blow your doors off. i have 275/40/17 bfg drag radials , the same cam you got and a 2800 stall, traction is not an issue, but i dont have 3.73's yet either..... i just got my tranny in and took my new tires for a spin (no pun intended) and i couldnt believe how the hooked. i wipped off my street and nailed it, i used to powerslide halfway down the street but now the barely squeeled and the *** end just planted and off i was.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 AM

Skinnies on a street car are dumb. Minimal gain, big loss in handling, braking, etc.

Rich

Quick Reply: Stoplight terror: Please critique my setup before I order