LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:25 PM

Starting Problem

Since yesterday morning, every time i try to start my car i push in the clutch and when i turn the key nothign happens. The battery is fine, its just as if i wasnt pushing in the clutch. The cluctch still works fine however. If i hold in the clutch, it will never start. I have to let the clutch out and push it in...sometimes 2 or 3 times, and then it starts up fine. What could cause this to happen? I thought maybe the clutch fluid was low and it had to build up pressure first but the fluid is fine. I even just added a bit to be sure and it still has the problem. Anybody experience this? Could it be the sensor that tells if the clutch is in?
Thanks
Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 12:51 AM

The clutch sensor switch, well on the thirdgens is right behind the clutch pedal, im pretty sure it'd be there on the fourth gens also, just take a look behind and see if something is obstructing it or got stuck. If not not sure if it would be the switch unless it isn't functioning properly.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:29 AM

Hmm...what else could it be then?
Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 06:10 AM

I agree with pasky, I think the switch is optafrigin(I think that's German for broke). Try this the next time your holding the key in the crank position. Slowly bring the clutch back out. I've seen switches go open when they bottom out but just short of bottoming out, they connect. If that's the case, replace the switch. If your interested, I get wholesale price from Hampton Chevy.

BTW, the circuit involved in starting is really simple. The key switch powers both the contacts of the Theft deterrent relay and the clutch switch. The clutch switch powers the coil of the theft deterrent relay and that coil is grounded by the body control module. From the contacts of the TDR runs the power to the starter solenoid.

here's shoes schematic for reference in the upper left corner.
http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_96.jpg

You could also try jumping power directly from the + battery cable to the starter. Leave the key in the off position so the engine does not start. Only try this for a second or 2 and try it a couple of times. This would rule out a starter and solenoid problem.

If you need help I'de be glad to assist you.

see ya
ps. thanks shoe as always
Old 01-10-2004, 08:24 AM

Hey Slopokrodrigez ,

I have a similar problem -
96 SS-Z28 with manual.
I live in New England.
Below 20 degrees, it seems my security
system go's nuts. I hear all sorts of
clicking form the dash like its trying to
find itself and won't let me start the car.
I thought it was a voltage problem below a certain temp. I installed an Optima battery, its better
but the car wont start below 10 degress.
The dealership was never able to figure this one
out , it went back 5 times with no luck.
I'm long out of warranty now and nobody seems
to have a clue.
I suppose I could park on a hill and jump start
it all the time - Any help is greatly appreciated!
Morgan
Old 01-10-2004, 10:51 AM

I just tried it, trying to crank it while letting the clutch out. Many tries but it still did not work. It still took like 3 pumps of the clutch before it would fire.....wouldnt the leavign the clutch down and trying to start it over and over rule out the starter or cylenoid? Because it never will start unless you allow the clutch up and down a couple of times.
Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 11:40 AM

That is just one way that a switch could be intermittent but not the only way. You should still take the switch out and bench test it with an ohm meter while working it in and out. After that you want to check a couple of connections to be sure they are clean. I'm gona post an answer to 96 ss in another post so you may want to check some of those items also.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by 96-ss-slp
Hey Slopokrodrigez ,

I have a similar problem -
96 SS-Z28 with manual.
I live in New England.
Below 20 degrees, it seems my security
system go's nuts. I hear all sorts of
clicking form the dash like its trying to
find itself and won't let me start the car.
I thought it was a voltage problem below a certain temp. I installed an Optima battery, its better
but the car wont start below 10 degress.
The dealership was never able to figure this one
out , it went back 5 times with no luck.
I'm long out of warranty now and nobody seems
to have a clue.
I suppose I could park on a hill and jump start
it all the time - Any help is greatly appreciated!
Morgan
My appologies to all4chevy for hijacking his thread. But I just love electrical problems.

Your problem should be a simple one. Not being smug. The clicking you usually hear is the starter solenoid. It's not getting enough current to pull it in. First, remember that as a bettery gets colder, it puts out less power. You need to check all the connections involved in the high current circuit from the battery to the solenoid and some others

Start by checking the battery connections at the battery. The next thing to check is always missed by a lot of people. The grounds at the engine and frame. These should be removed and cleaned real well. Check 2 last things. The bundle of wires on the fender by the battery where all the postive wires come together. Last, check the wires at the starter itself.

If that doesn't help let me know and we'll do some more indepth testing. Not a bid deal. This one should be simple.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Well i just found the switch that the clutch pushes in when fully depressed to allow the car to start. I pushed it in with my finger and tried to start the car and nothing. Now the car will not start at all.....i'm going to go see how hard it will be to remove that switch and hopefully that is the problem. Ill be back

Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 12:26 PM

WOOHOOO!!!! FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! It was the switch, and i stuck a paper clip in the electrical connector to test it.... Now i got one of the few manual cars that can start without pushing in the clutch
Thanks for the help guys
Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Don't leave it that way. It's dangerous!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 01:10 PM

Oh no, im not going to leave it like that.....just a test to see if that was the culprate. Im going monday morning to the dealership to get the new part. But thanks for worrying
Bill