LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Speed Engineering LS1 True Dual on Lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 12:07 AM

Speed Engineering LS1 True Dual on Lt1?

What all is needed to modify an LT1 to fit the Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust for the LS1 cars? I've got a set of hooker super competition headers on the car already and am not opposed to some custom fabrication to make them work. I've got no cats, just in need of an exhaust to replace the very poorly modified and fabricated one from the previous owner(s).

Link to exhaust: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Engin...AAAOSwyltZURvB

Thanks, Grant
Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Re: Speed Engineering LS1 True Dual on Lt1?

If you're"not opposed to some custom fabrication" Buy it and fab up the missing pieces.I haven't shopped for exhaust in a long time, but there used to be quite a few bolt in kits for the LT1. Is that not the case anymore?
Old 07-04-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pullngz
If you're"not opposed to some custom fabrication" Buy it and fab up the missing pieces.I haven't shopped for exhaust in a long time, but there used to be quite a few bolt in kits for the LT1. Is that not the case anymore?
Yea that may be the best option, there are a few but I'd really like something that's true dual and not over $1000. Problem with my situation is there are no cats and the exhaust currently on it was fabricated weirdly so I don't believe anything would just bolt right up, considering I have aftermarket headers too. My main concern was the differences between an LT1 and LS1 exhaust setups under the car or any modifications that need to occur to the chassis to fit the dual over the axle. Was hoping someone had done this and maybe knew a set of long tubes that worked well with it possibly too.

Thanks, Grant
Old 07-04-2020, 08:07 PM

I see, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't know anyone that has done, what you are wanting to do.If you end up going this route, take a lot of pictures and document it, to help someone in the future.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pullngz
I see, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't know anyone that has done, what you are wanting to do.If you end up going this route, take a lot of pictures and document it, to help someone in the future.
Don't say sorry, any responses are helpful. Yes I'm not sure of anyone personally, under the review section on the speed engineering website for the exhaust it seems many people have indeed fabricated that exhaust to work on the LT1 cars. Unfortunately they don't state what modifications are needed. I messaged the Speed Engineering support and hopefully they've got a good answer. At this point if their LT1 long tubes fit with the exhaust I'll probably spring for those aswell.

Thanks, Grant
Old 07-08-2020, 08:50 AM

I have this setup on my car, but haven’t started it yet. To get the pipes to fit, I had to extend the driver side 3”, and shorten the passenger side about an inch. This is with Kooks long tubes.

with all of the said, I am not very confident in the clamps provided with the kit. Once I get it started, Ill check for leaks, but I am expecting to have to change them all. If I can find a decent shop to weld stainless, I might mark up the system and have it v-banded.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
I have this setup on my car, but haven’t started it yet. To get the pipes to fit, I had to extend the driver side 3”, and shorten the passenger side about an inch. This is with Kooks long tubes.

with all of the said, I am not very confident in the clamps provided with the kit. Once I get it started, Ill check for leaks, but I am expecting to have to change them all. If I can find a decent shop to weld stainless, I might mark up the system and have it v-banded.
Ok gotcha, it seems as though there is cutting involved no matter what with any long tubes to get it to fit. I actually found an older thread on the LS1LT1 website where an individual had the pacesetter long tubes and was able to just make two cuts and use a band clamp to get it all to work. Keep me updated on how the installation goes and any problems that arise.

Thanks, Grant