LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spark Plug Replacement - FLP longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Question Spark Plug Replacement - FLP longtubes

Yes another damn spark plug replacement thread

I've read through many of the other's on this site but I have yet to find any describing how to do it with the kind of headers I have.

Anybody have FLP longtubes on their LT1??

I've got a set of discontinued FLP longtube headers and I'm going to change the spark plugs this week. My wires have been arching pretty bad so I'm sure some of my plugs are fouled by now. To fix it I've got a new set of MSD streetfire wires and some heat sleeves to cover the boots. I might wrap some of the wires in heat tape as well for added insurance. and then a set of AC delco plugs (praying this stops the arching).

the last time i had them replaced, we couldn't get the cylinder 5 plug in without removing the header. my mechanic and i spent the better part of a day trying. there wasn't any room and the angle was too difficult to get it in.

anyone have any experience with these headers?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Re: Spark Plug Replacement - FLP longtubes

I'm also going to the store tomorrow to pick up some supplies.

What do you recommend as far as the best tools for the job? I'm pretty sure I need to pick up a flex head wrench and a socket with a hex end.

And where's the best place to go for spark plug specific tools? (Sears, Home Depot, Autozone, etc..)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 PM

I dont with those headers but do with my kooks. Home depot sells a pass through socket set that allows me to get all the hard ones. I pull everything from the top except the back two on passenger side I get from under car.(the back two on drivers I can get from top or bottom.) Might be worth the 35 bucks. Sure was for me because I pull 6 plugs with it and just use the standard plug socket on two. I do use the socket to thread and unthread plug(although I cant on #2 and 4 or just one of them dont remember.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Yeah the pass through socket looks like a necessity with these cars. I've seen people recommend extendable wrenches and ratchets, breaker bars, and everything in between on different threads. I just want to get a solid list together so I know exactly what I need
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 PM

a swivel head ratchet is very handy too.(also from home depot)

Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM

on my truck a speed wrench over the socket end was helpful(im sure the pass though will eliminate this but a handy trick

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM

haha one more trick that can be helpful is a length of hose slipped over plug to hold it in place with other hand while trying to start it.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 PM

thanks for the advice! just wish i could shrink my hands for a day
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 AM

Kooks headers here. I use a craftsman plug socket and a 3/4 stubby wrench on the socket for some of them. Others I use a ratchet and/or a 3/4 gearwrench on the socket(along with various size extensions).

For sure, #2 is the worst. In general, all the passenger side ones are a pain. I have to remove the starter, dipstick, and alternator to get to them. The driver's side takes all of 10 mins(no joke). The passengers....around 1-2 hours.

I prefer GM plug wires as they are easy to know when they snap onto the plug. The moroso plug wires(blue) I had before were the most hateful things I have ever tried to put on the end of a plug.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-15-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 AM

Ace I can get passenger side in under half an hour and dont have to remove anything using the pass through socket set from home depot(husky brand). I have the 1 7/8 stepped kooks race headers. Like I said I get 2and 4 from the top and 6 and 8 underneath. Hardest part for me is getting I believe 4 started back in the hole. I get through them so quick im always burning myself because header flange is still hot plus im getting car jacked up and new plugs gapped and a little antisieze on threads and dielectric grease on area boot slips over.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM

Uggh.....you guys are making me scared to do my plugs soon, but i have pacesetters. First change with these headers. Hope it isn't as bad.
Im going to home depot tonight to get the pass through socket set just in case
Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 PM

well I'm convinced these FLPs i got were not made for a 94. I had to take both headers off to even give myself a chance at getting at the #5 & 6 plugs. And I'm in the process of changing my ac compressor while everything is off. Such a PITA to do plugs!!

I'm also concerned about the plugs I have. I got AC delco platinum, Part No. 41-906 and I've read a lot about these not doing so well.

I want whatever I put in there to last as long as possible...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 AM

dang thats a real bummer to have to take header off. Hear alot of people liking the nkg plugs(I am running basic nkg for when finally put the spray to it). Make me like my kooks that much more.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Get some leather gloves. Either way it will look like you tried to change a lawnmower blade while it was running.