LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spark Plug condition/ still cant get passanger wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:26 PM

Spark Plug condition/ still cant get passanger wires

I changed my spark plugs from some kind of delcos to ngk tr-55s. Well, the old plugs were corroded white and I checked the hayne's manual. It said they were running too hot. Is there anything i should do to keep the new ones lasting longer?

Also, I can't seem to install any of my pass side plug wires, can anyone help me with that? I need a complete guide and would prefer to remove the least number of things and dont want to remove my alternator again.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:08 PM

Re: Spark Plug condition/ still cant get passanger wires

I take it you have stock manifolds, its worse with headers. Replacing wires in the stock location on an LT1 is a monumental pain in the as*. Using the 8mm spiro pros just make it worse because all the factory plastic wire clips on the pass side are designed for the smaller stock wire, but they will still fit with some effort. You have to remove the alternator, it only takes 5 min. Jack the car way up in the air and secure it. You will find a plastic clip next to the opti, followed by a plastic bracket with goves for all the wires (no clip) followed by another plastic clip. You have to stick a screwdriver into the clips to release them. If you dont do this youll have a hard time figuring out why the wires wont come out. Once youve done this its a long tedious process, you just have to follow the wires around. Plan for lots of cuts on your hands. The more times you do it though the easier it gets. Im sure it seems impossible now looking at your engine, you just have to dig in. Are you having a specific problem?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the help man, Im having a bit of trouble actually plugging them into the opti, Do i take off all of the accessory wheels to do it?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:54 PM

just do like SSTAT said. u have to remove alternator to route wires right under there. it only takes like 5 mins to take that off and gives you alot more room and will make it easier even though its still a pita.
when i did it with the taylor 8mm in stock locations i think i invented about 50 new swear words hehe and my arms and hands had little cuts everywhere.
if i had to do it again now since i know exactly what to do it wouldn't be too bad or take very long.
u dont need to remove the pullies at least i didn't and i could plug them all into opti. not much room on passenger side but its not bad.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:33 PM

What exactly do you mean by trouble plugging them into the opti? Do you mean they wont reach, they won't physically plug into the opti, they are hitting something?