LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

sold my iroc now i have 96 t/a ws6 woes! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Re: sold my iroc now i have 96 t/a ws6 woes! HELP

Any help with my cam question would be great. And i will try fuel filter first! Thanks everyone so much for staying on this thread helping
Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cbystrack
Okay everyone here goes. The lower end was from a caprice classic police car. The alum heads from the orginal motor were put on the donor motor. Now one thing that drew my attention is the cam........are they all the same. As far as lt1s??? If not than that could be an issue im having right? Computer getting confused maybe? And yes i shouldve checked fuel pressure right off the bat. I assumed it was fine seeing the car runs good just has no power.
The cams aren't identical but not enough to be the cause of the problem. The factory F-body cars were rated at 275 the B-bodies 265. I don't think 10 hp makes a difference like you're describing.

Anyway, did you change the knock sensor in the block? I belive the ones in the B-body are different and may be cause some issues around ignition timing...
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM

I.do.not know that this is.all coming from prev owner who did it. It dose not show any knock sensor issues on the scanner. We even reved it hard a few times to see if it was showing anything. Im lost but thankfull its not my cam causing all this. Just spoke to the previous owner and he said he did a fuel filter right after changing the motor. Sounding like a dying fuel pump..... any more advice???? And as far as o2readings ill hook the scanner back up and post back readings.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 AM

I think Mrmint put it best.......

Originally Posted by Cbystrack
checked fuel pressure and its 31 psi...... did i just find my issue?
Originally Posted by mrmint69
Went back over all your posts. You neglected to do any of the easy tests suggested and went right for the complicated stuff. Fuel pressure test was listed first and done last and appears to be your issue, as well as possibly bad O2 sensors, which both will make that car run bad. .
You definitely need to investigate the low LOW fuel pressure. Then and only then investigate the O2's and that does NOT mean to just replace them.

Oh and while I'm on the subject. If you got it back from a shop and it's still no good, what did you take it to them for in the first place? Shouldn't it be right?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:37 AM

i did a fuel filter just to be on safe side as sugested above and its still the same, whole pump was ordered and will be here today at 10am. i have the day off from work so ill be doing the trap door mod once the pump is here.

And the o2 readings were lean bank 1 and 2......this could be because of lack of fuel im thinking? regaurdless the pump will be in and we will go from there.

As far as the shop its a good friend of mine who owns it and works on my car. He is an honest person and only trying to help. everything he's done he has shown me why it needs to be changed weither or not it was the issue im having was sure going to be an issue in the short road. I have no regrets on taking the car to him. We both got confused on the spark advance readings the scanner was giving us thats why we went ahead and made sure cam timing was correct seeing the prev owner of the car was "un sure if he did it right". Moral of the story is i most deff should have checked fuel pressure from the start thats a huge fail on my half. But we learn from our mistakes every day right guys! And thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 PM

fuel pump changed.....still no power i feel hopeless
Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM

i am getting a p1642 code thats it something about fan relays which are jumped out to have fans on 24/7..... thats all im getting out of it any ideas?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM

Well what was causing the low fuel pressure??? Was it actually that low? Could it have been the FPR we talked about a while ago? If it is the cause of the problem and it was not changed, see how it could still be running poorly?

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
I say MAY cause there are 2 other things that can create a long crank situation also. If the FPR has a hole in the diaphragm, it can do the long crank also but it will also cause the engine to run poorly. Do to dumping fuel into the intake via the vacuum line. You can test this by using the vac line to draw a vacuum on the FPR. If it does not hold a vacuum, the diaphragm is ruptured.
Perhaps I didn't make this previous post clear. If the diaphragm is ruptured, it will lower the fuel pressure.

Did you or anyone else ever check the FPR?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:43 PM

the only thing i check on the fpr was pulling the vac line and seeing if fuel was in it and which it was not i hooked it back up. If it was ruptured wouldnt it go into intake from the vac port????
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM

You have to draw a vacuum on that line.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM

well then theres my mess up again. story of my life. im going to check fuel pressure again and if its low still then i am the idiot of the day.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM

Sometimes things are not as simple as they seem. after you find the problem I'm sure were all
going to learn something here . " I know I will " stay positive and good luck
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM

yeah no kidding, at least everything i replaced was going to need replacing shortly. where in nc are you?

Im going to hook back up to scanner tomm and see how coolant temp sensor is reading as well, just a double check
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM

When you check he 02's make sure they are good and warmed up. You want the reading to be all over the place and between 0xx and 9xx. Changing very rapidly like this 128 845 396 274 762 582 145 and so on. You really should fix the fuel problem first and then test them as stated.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM

can anyone tell me how on earth to remove the fpr... i took the one bolt out that i can visually see but cant seem to get it to come off.... any help?

Quick Reply: sold my iroc now i have 96 t/a ws6 woes! HELP