LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

So what now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

So what now?

SO what now?

With the LS-1 LS-2's and the like it seems the LT1 has finally become the new TPI.

The newer GM engines make more horspower Steet legally...

so how can an LT1 compare with a 400hp monster?

We all know that a 400hp LT1 is not very passable as street legal. Consideringthe cam you would need to choose and the ports you'd have to open up...the engine would be at its maximum... while the newer GM engines are just starting at that point.

So just where does the LT1 stand now?

Is it the new 350 icon like the original carbed 350's... or is the LT1 just old technology like an IBM computer with a B:\ drive?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 AM

Re: So what now?

i have wondered that myself many times. it seems these new engines just make so much damn horsepower from the factory that it is getting harder and harder to compete with them. it's amazing what years of R&D can do to get an engine to run efficiently. i hate watching LT1's fall down the totem pole one piece at a time. when they came out they were the cats *** and one to watch out for, but now? you have to do so much to them just to even compete with the new engines. but i guess you cant argue when you hear that roar that only an iron block with a 4 inch bore and 3.48 stroke can make. i still love my LT1 and i always will.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 AM

I hate to **** on your cornflakes but did you read the articles about the LS7 available in the Z06 and as a crate engine.
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/LS7.shtml
Don't ask how much the crate engine is. I don't have that many digits on my keyboard.

It has 11:1 compression. Titanium conn rods and intake valves. 427 CI, 500 HP (certified by the new rating system), 475 lb/ft torque.
8 Quart DRY SUMP OILING SYSTEM.

Makes for interesting reading.

RIP LT1

Last edited by Guest47904; 10-30-2005 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:12 AM

enjoy the fact that you can still beat the **** out of most imports...with nearly 15yr old technology.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
I hate to **** on your cornflakes but did you read the articles about the LS7 available in the Z06 and as a grate engine.
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/LS7.shtml
Don't ask how much the crate engine is. I don't have that many digits on my keyboard.

It has 11:1 compression. Titanium conn rods and intake valves. 427 CI, 500 HP (certified by the new rating system), 475 lb/ft torque.
8 Quart DRY SUMP OILING SYSTEM.

Makes for interesting reading.

RIP LT1
The LS7 is ~$13k before taxes and freight.

It's an awesome engine, no doubt....we likely won't see it out anytime soon though as the engine keeps ditching the balancer at 7k rpm on the C6 Z06 test mules. Heavy discus through the hood, anyone?

As far as 400hp not being legal? What? The LT1 may need FI to keep up on the HP wars, but that doesn't make the engine any less worthy or viable. There are many 400hp Cali legal LT1's running around. It's all about the combination.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:35 AM

I have often had this debate with customers and friends alike. Taking an ideal platform for a 4th gen power wise, an M6 car with a 10 bolt. That will yield your highest dyno numbers.

A 11.5:1 Hydraulic roller 383ci LS1 will make anywhere from 450-485rwhp N/A. Of course heads and camshaft are huge in this and lets not even get into DCR, we are speaking in generalities here.

Take and build a 383ci LT1, same driveline. You will be more than likely hit 400-420rwhp and that is with an engine builder who knows his stuff and can pick a camshaft.

The immediate observation of the two engines, is the heads. 15* v.s. 23* sure on the surface, that is the easiest culprit to blame. The more you look into the discussion though, it is a simple case of out with the old and in with the new. In 2010 I'm sure we will be looking down at the base LS1's and onto something bigger and brighter. It is a natural evolution and while the LT1 surely isn't to be forgotten by any means, it just isn't an LS1.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 AM

What's funny is that everyone wants to say they have XXX rwhp, but don't realize that much lower rwhp numbers will yield very respectable track times. My point is that everyone desires outrageous rwhp numbers, but most cannot even drive what they have, as dismal as it may seem to them.