LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP headers and O2s

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 07:48 PM

SLP headers and O2s

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...m/O2scrape.JPG

Does anyone have a solution to this problem. I went with SLP headers over longtubes for clearance on my lowered ride. Why the hell would they make the O2 sensor the lowest point on the car, DOH! It's been like that for while and hasn't gotten any worse but it seems likeit'll only take another hit to wear into a wire and ruin an expensive O2 sensor.

Has anyone just put a small 45 deg elbow on there? It seems like it would probably work but the O2 wouldn't heat up as fast and wouldn't be directly in the exhaust flow. I'm thinking that i'm gonna have to just get a bung and have it welded in another location.

thanks guys.

-brent
Old 09-02-2003, 07:51 PM

Hey Brent:

That does seem like an awfully silly location to put the O2. Probably the only thing you can really do is have another bung welded in, or have that one adjusted to angle up. There's not a whole lot you can do in that situation...

Wish I could help.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:53 PM

didnt have any problems with mine scraping when i had the SLPs your car must be slammed

btw what did u run at the track?
Marcin
Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 PM

hey joe, your in NJ, go stop by toms river and slap some sense into those SLP enginerds for me

marcin, that was a debacle, grrrrrrrrrr. A thunderstorm came through at like 3 oclock but then was sunny at 5 when i got to the gates. Maple grove canceled the whole night based on the threat of rain. I don't think it actually rained till around midnight. As long as i don't have to work friday at my new job i'll be going to beaver springs this friday. Weather looks good, nice and cool 10% chance of rain. Its a slower track though at a lil more altitude. Trust me, i woulda posted had i gone
Old 09-02-2003, 08:45 PM

well considering your oil pan is scraped up that badly i think you must of been doing something crazy. I have never dragged my SLP's you could always move your O2 sensor. Mine has had it moved into the header by the previous owner.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:00 PM

Thats cool....oh yeah....if you do not like the o2 scraping, just get hooker lts. The clearance isnt that bad. I have them on my car with a Pro kit and i hardly ever scrape. As long as u have someone make a decent ypipe u wont have any problems.
Marcin
Old 09-02-2003, 09:03 PM

I am using SLP headers and haven't had a problem. Is this an off-road F-Body?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Z95m6
well considering your oil pan is scraped up that badly i think you must of been doing something crazy. I have never dragged my SLP's you could always move your O2 sensor. Mine has had it moved into the header by the previous owner.
Actually the oil pan was scraped a long time ago, thats old damage from when my cousin spun it out on the highway. The O2 is lower.

I think the O2 got scraped coming over a rolling hill at about 110. It was like the second day after the header install back in july and it hasn't gotten worse since. I actually put a small piece of aluminum under it like a skid plate, it's just really ghetto and probably wouldn't do anything to protect anyways fir there was more than a minor brush. That doesn't have any marking on it either which is why i haven't made this a top priority, but now that i'm done with the cam and stuff..........

-brent
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
Thats cool....oh yeah....if you do not like the o2 scraping, just get hooker lts. The clearance isnt that bad. I have them on my car with a Pro kit and i hardly ever scrape. As long as u have someone make a decent ypipe u wont have any problems.
Marcin
Yeah thats what i probably should have done but i thought the slps where still pretty good. The mod bug has bitten harder though and i think if i was doing it again now i would have just done longtubes for the max power gain. THey just seemed so much more expensive with the Ypipe and everything you get nickel and dimed on. With the giaganitc hassle that it was to get my Spipe made i'd definitly need to find a better place to do a ypipe.

I think i'll just get a new bung put on but money is kinda tight now.

-brent
Old 09-03-2003, 05:47 AM

I'm glad I didn't lower my car... for many reasons. I'll admit that SLP placed that bung in a poor location, but I have not had any problems with mine for over 5 years.