LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Should I remove the PCV breather tube on p/s valve cover to prevent oil in intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Should I remove the PCV breather tube on p/s valve cover to prevent oil in intake?

I have a push in breather on the p/s valve cover already and want to keep oil from entering the TB. I just installed a catch can in the PCV line between the PCV and TB, and was wondering if its ok to just remove the vent line and cap the port at the TB and on the valve cover since I have a breather anyway?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 10:44 AM

Re: Should I remove the PCV breather tube on p/s valve cover to prevent oil in intake?

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=pcv

Here what I found on the seach maybe this will help you answer your question.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Re: Should I remove the PCV breather tube on p/s valve cover to prevent oil in intake?

Thanks for the link, after reading the hundreds of posts, I think I'll remove the inlet tube because the open vacuum leak I created by placing the breather in the valve cover is not causing me any ill effects at idle and the BLMs on the scanner are still almost right on 128.
The vacuum leak created is very very minimal and I doubt it would have any effect, the MAF measure only about 5 gpms at idle, and the air being sucked into the pcv is a very very small portion of that, not even enough to make the MAF reading be placed in another cell because the granularity of the MAF table is less than .5 gpms and the PCV vacuum is not 1/10 of the total air intake at idle.
If ill effects are noticed, a catch can could be placed on both the PCV and the intake vent tube and remove the breather would be another idea to leave it a closed functioning system!
For catch cans:
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

Last edited by 2QUIK6; 08-23-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Administrator

The vacuum leak created is very very minimal and I doubt it would have any effect, the MAF measure only about 5 gpms at idle, and the air being sucked into the pcv is a very very small portion of that, not even enough to make the MAF reading be placed in another cell because the granularity of the MAF table is less than .5 gpms and the PCV vacuum is not 1/10 of the total air intake at idle.
The units of measurement on the MAF ar grams per second, not "gpms". Not real important though.

The "cell" is determined by the MAP and RPM. It has nothing to do with the MAF value and its "granularity".

Think about it... if you are getting oil in the TB, that means you are getting so much blowby in the crankcase that the combined venting capacity of the "breather", and the PCV system can't handle it, and flow in the vent line from the TB to the valve cover is reversing, and entraining oil ldroplets that end up in the throttle body. That's why you have no impact on the BLM's... it isn't pulling any air in through the vent line, its blowing blowby and oil out the vent line.

You might want to check the PCV valve to see if it is plugged.... that would explain the inadequate crankcase venting, and the lack of movement on the BLM's.

Granularity????
Old 08-23-2004, 11:12 PM

I checked out the PCV tonight, and it took very little suction to open it up and it seems ok. This is on a stock LT4 short block and from what I understand is the LT4's have very low pressure rings and blow by can be a common issue with these. From talking to others with LT4's it is not uncommon for them to use a quart of oil every 500-700 miles, mine uses about a qt every 1k miles.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 AM

I like that thanks for the link! Looks like another part is on order.