LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Should I rebuild my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Question Should I rebuild my engine?

It's my daily driver and it runs alright. Sounds good and has some decent power. But the valves and/or lifters are making alot of noise and the timing chain cover is leaking. So, would it be best to buy a set of heads and have them rebuilt and thrown on there and a new timing chain cover, or should I just go ahead and rebuild it? Do they have to take the engine out to switch the heads and timing chain cover? Because if they do then I might as well just have it rebuilt while it's already out. Well, thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Re: Should I rebuild my engine?

You're looking at a LOT of extra expense for a few minor problems. If the bottom end has good oil pressure, passes a compression and leakdown test there's no real reason to mess with the bottom end.

Figure out where the noise is originating from, then figure out whether or not it's an issue. The timing chain cover fix, while fairly involved, is not all that difficult. Heck, if you're looking at fixing some valvetrain noise and pulling off the timing cover to do the gasket, sounds like a great time (IMO) to do a cam swap.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought. My general mechanic (which frankly I don't trust too much) told me that it's just not worth it to put heads on there. Because then the bottom end could go, and I would have spent all that money for nothing. So I asked if I should get a compression check done and stuff, but he said that even it could mark good compression, and it may still not be right. Told me he suggest just buying another engine and rebuilding it however I want. Now, he doesn't do the work himself so I doubt he was just pushing for me to rebuild my engine, since he wouldn't profit from it. But frankly, I was thinking about getting a compression check, and if all is well, some reassembled heads (maybe ported and polished) and maybe a cam. Unfortunately, I don't have all the money yet, and I don't know where I could go to have my compression checked. My mechanic doesn't seem to like to get too involved in all that engine work. Mostly does tune ups and stuff. I was considering going to a performance shop, having them find out what's wrong and seeing how much they want to charge me to fix it with some performance upgrades as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM

And yes, whenever I'm cruising around, the oil pressure marks great. Never falters or anything.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 PM

im in the same boat a su. everyone keeps tellin me to get a compression test but im livin in a new area and not real sure if i should take it 2 a dealership, or try and find a performance shop/engine builder shop.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Well, I was planning on getting heads and cam later on any ways. I think I'll put in a higher viscosity oil (10W-40) until I save up enough money to take it to a performance shop and have them port, polish, and rebuild the heads and replace the rotating assembly and cams.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 PM

I have the exact same issue, noisy valve train(driver side), and a good leak out the front seal. I'm actually going to do the valves this weekend, very easy job i've been told, and the front seal is 5 bucks from the auto store.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 AM

Yeah, I'm saving up. I decided if I have to invest the money for parts, I might as well go all out and get some high quality performance parts. Ported heads, beehive springs, Comp Cam lifters, etc. And I'm going to have a performance shop put it all together for me. For now, I'll just get a higher viscosity oil, maybe 10W-40 and see how that pans out. Should only be about a month or two. And I'm pretty sure it's had the issue for a while, I just couldn't hear it due to my busted A/C compressor and spark plugs gapping and causing a misfire. Now, I hear it and it annoys the hell outta me. But soon she shall be better than ever. Putting my Civic driving buddies to shame.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:43 PM

So i just did my valve job and I think it came out good since the engine sounds a little more quite and smoother. I still have a little clicking for the top of the block, not sure if i got #7's valve lash fully taken care of or if its a bottom end thing. Took me about 3 hours because its the first time I've done this and i had to fight with the crampt engine compartment.
As far as my front seal i'm going to wait till i get a new timing chain set in so i can get that taken care of at the same time.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I've just ordered a bunch of good quality parts for the valve job. Beehive Springs, Magnum 1.6 roller rockers, a 226/234 custom grind cam, 36# injectors, etc. I'm also getting Comp Cam lifters with the kit and maybe a ported intake manifold and 58MM throttlebody. I'm going to be taking it to a performance shop for the removal, rebuild, and installation of the heads. I might also have them port them for me. And I might also get it up on the dyno. Hopefully after all is said and done, she'll be able to spread her wings out and fly.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dodge69874
Yeah, I've just ordered a bunch of good quality parts for the valve job. Beehive Springs, Magnum 1.6 roller rockers, a 226/234 custom grind cam, 36# injectors, etc. I'm also getting Comp Cam lifters with the kit and maybe a ported intake manifold and 58MM throttlebody. I'm going to be taking it to a performance shop for the removal, rebuild, and installation of the heads. I might also have them port them for me. And I might also get it up on the dyno. Hopefully after all is said and done, she'll be able to spread her wings out and fly.
Forget the Comp lifters and go with the OEM replacements (LS7s) for around $120. No doubt the Comps are more expensive, and the LS7 lifters are incredibly durable (I'm using them in my 383).

Ditch the ported intake manifold too as it's not worth anything by itself.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the tip. And as for the ported intake manifold, wouldn't it be good for some power with ported heads and a 58MM throttlebody. I'm also going to have the 36# injectors and a tune. Or is it really just useless? Because I wouldn't mind leaving the factory one in there, but I figured since I'm going to have everything removed already, I might as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by dodge69874
Sweet. Thanks for the tip. And as for the ported intake manifold, wouldn't it be good for some power with ported heads and a 58MM throttlebody. I'm also going to have the 36# injectors and a tune. Or is it really just useless? Because I wouldn't mind leaving the factory one in there, but I figured since I'm going to have everything removed already, I might as well. Thanks again.
The stock manifold is plenty for just about every setup. I have never seen a dyno graph proving that a stock versus ported manifold is a worthwhile mod. It's pretty much been accepted that porting the stock one yields little to no benefits until you're in the HP vicinity of needing a new manifold anyway.

Having said that, I had AI port my stock manifold against their recommendation. Whether it's helping or hurting I guess I'll never know. I will admit that I wish I had spent that $375 elsewhere.

I'd put the money toward something else like suspension, EWP, etc. - something more worthwhile.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the tip bro.