LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

shoe box here what you wanted to see.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:02 PM

shoe box here what you wanted to see.

this is both cams side by side, the cam is the cs306 and the other is a factory non vented cam out of a 94.

so can you tell me will it work. something tells me no.

if it doesnt work how do these people put solid rollers in a lt1.

here are the pics

and heres the old thread

thanks.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:53 PM

ttt for me
Old 10-11-2003, 09:29 PM

Not gonna work. It is not from an LT1 core. There is no machining for the cam retainer, the hole in the middle is too small and the cam sprocket bolts/dowel are not in the same place.

Part numbers for CC cams for the LT1 start with 07. That means they have all those good things (like mentioned above) machined into the core so it will work in the LT1 engine. Cores that begin with 12 are regular SBC cores.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:44 PM

so if i buy a cam from comp and it starts with a 07 that means it will work on a lt1

if so im going to start looking.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:39 AM

I suggest you take a trip over to their website and look at their catalog.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:20 PM

well i looked a there site and it olny listed 9 cams for the lt1. that cant be right.

ive listed all the parts down on paper and im going to call comp and see if can use them on another cam for my car (another solid roler)

the lifters i got are not roller lifter is that ok.

here are the part numbers to the stuff i got.

986-16 springs
611-16 locks
740-16 retainers
813-16 lifters (these idont dont know if i can use but the rest i think will work.)

if any one knows any cam (solid roller) that will work with all this stuff shoot me some hints

i dont think im searching there site right there has to be more cams for the lt1 on there web site than that. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by 97Z-M6
well i looked a there site and it olny listed 9 cams for the lt1. that cant be right.

ive listed all the parts down on paper and im going to call comp and see if can use them on another cam for my car (another solid roler)

here are the part numbers to the stuff i got.

986-16 springs
611-16 locks
740-16 retainers
813-16 lifters (these idont dont know if i can use but the rest i think will work.)

if any one knows any cam (solid roller) that will work with all this stuff shoot me some hints

i dont think im searching there site right there has to be more cams for the lt1 on there web site than that. any help is appreciated.
dude, i suggest you pick out one of the comp cams' lt1 cams, and use the stuff they have suggested. 986 springs are more for a hydro-roller app. under .560" lift. solid roller cams require quite a bit more spring pressure.
dont mean to sound like an a-hole, but i think you need to spend some more time reading up on this stuff. its hard enough putting together a decent hydro-roller setup when your limited on knowledge, but to do a solid roller is a whole different ballgame.
jeremy
Old 10-12-2003, 09:24 PM

THE 986 SPRING were what comp suggested to run with the sollid roller i have now but i need to find another cam becuase the one the guy sold will not fit in the car. im going to call comp cams tommorow and talk to them. this crap is confusing becuse people are running solid roller cams. but comps website is not listing any solid roller cam that will fit a lt1 so how are you supose to know if it will work or not.

ive bought all this stuff now i would to use it if i could becuase i got it so cheap i just need a solid roller cam that will go in my car.

i will never learn if i dont ask. right

i do agree with you that i need a hydralic roller but i want a sollid roller and i bought all this stuff because he said it would work and now it wont.

maybe i should resale it and buy hydralic stuff. but if o can use most of these parts and save money why not just replace the cam and go solid roller.

guees i need to change my sig huh.

and the solid roller cams i found at racenet.net will fit but i cant find them on comps website.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by 97Z-M6
How many cams do you think they should make for an LT1? It is a very limited production engine, compared with the Gen 1 small-block Chevy. You will never find as many off the shelf choices for the LT1 as you do for the Gen 1 SBC.

NO!!! The 813-16 is a solid/mechanical (non roller) lifter for small-block Chevies. You do not want a non-roller solid lifter in your engine. It will be a huge energy waster, and will encounter wear at a much higher rate than a roller lifter. And you can't use a non-roller lifter with a roller cam profile.... you can not mix and match.

In short..... you got a really good deal on a cam that won't work in your car, and a set of lifters that you don't want in your car. That leaves you with the springs (which everyone is telling you are too weak for a high lift solid roller 132# closed/280# open). Maybe the retainers and locks can be salvaged.

The frustrating thing here..... you are asking questions.... that's a good way to learn. But you refuse to read and uinderstand the answers. I remember posting that the nose of the LT1 cam was unique, and could not be interchanged with the Gen 1 SBC cam.

I also doubt you understand the real significance of going with a solid roller cam. Are you planning to rev to 7,000rpm and above? Do you need a very high duration cam? What are the supporting mods? Are you prepared to live with the noise of a solid roller cam? Are you prepared to disable the knock sensor, which is not going to respond well to a solid roller? Are you prepared to lash the valves every 5K miles or so?

It is actually very easy to get a solid roller cam for an LT1. You call Comp Cams, or any reputable cam manufacturer, tell them what profile you want, how much lift, and that it should be ground on an LT1 blank. That's how I got mine. It's not a whole lot different than a CC306.... 230/242 114LSA 0.590/0.590. But I can tell you a 280# spring would not support even that mild a solid roller.... .I'm running well over 500# open.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:24 PM

welll thanks for all your help injuneer.

i talk to comp today and they said just what you said that they dont make a solid rller for the lt1. but that they do grind them for other companys and if i get the grind number they can make it for me.

and they said that the cam i have is a tappet cam and the lifters arew right for and the springs are to, but that explains why the spring are weak for a solid roller cam (becuase its not a solid roller). and it also explains why the lobes are not polished and smooth like the journals and the lobes on my buddys ex grind cam.

yes im prepared to deal with the hassale of a solid roller.

but all in all i think im going to sell all the stuff i bought and just think about it for a while.

again thanks for all yalls help.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:53 PM

if you contact CC, they should make you any of there cam profiles you want on a LT1 type core, it may cost more, but not as much as you might think